30 replies to this topic

#1 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:46 AM

I don't know about everyone else out there but the Going Green expression really irks me.  Many people who use it mention a small contribution to going green while making a change that more than offsets the small change.  An example would be moving to a more energy efficient home but having to drive further to work.  :P
Posted Image

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

I'm going green by not cutting my grass anymore.  Think of all the greenhouse gasses that my lawn mower is no longer emitting each week!  Of course, I've hired a crew that cuts my grass for me and their mowers may be powered by internal combustion -- I'm not sure.

Maybe I'll just say I'm going green cardO0  ;)
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

I'm going green by not cutting my grass anymore.  Think of all the greenhouse gasses that my lawn mower is no longer emitting each week!  Of course, I've hired a crew that cuts my grass for me and their mowers may be powered by internal combustion -- I'm not sure.

Maybe I'll just say I'm going green cardO0  ;)

My wife hired a lawn service. One of the best things she has ever given me (until he cut down my Japense Black Pine Tree).
Posted Image

#4 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

We don't mow our back yard at all. We have 9 natural lawn mowers...

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

It's not easy being green:

Posted Image

...unless, of course, you can back it up:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#6 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

Posted Image

Green I am; Easy it is not.
Posted Image

#7 skyfire97

skyfire97

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCypress

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

I don't know about everyone else out there but the Going Green expression really irks me.

Ditto.  The phrase irritates me because recently some friends have applied it to me, but last I checked I haven't changed a different color.  :)  Sure I have tried to change some of the things we do, but mostly I did it to save money (hang clothes on line instead of dryer...still doing that some because I like the smell of the hung clothes) or it is fun (make all our soap).  We go out of our way to recycle, but use more gas to do so because my neighborhood doesn't have curbside, so that isn't helpful in the long run.  lol  The only "green" thing I did do to be more environmental was give up plastic bags because I was tired of seeing them flying around when we are going somewhere.  I even learned to sew so I could have cool shopping bags. 

#8 aaronbarbee

aaronbarbee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hey OHL, what kind of emissions do those things let off?

#9 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:35 AM

Hey OSC, what kind of emissions do those things let off?

You're have to ask OHG  :D

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#10 aaronbarbee

aaronbarbee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:04 AM

I did... what you talkin' bout.    :-[

#11 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:07 AM

Funny...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:21 AM

I did... what you talkin' bout.    :-[

One more edit and maybe it will be right.  :2funny:
Posted Image

#13 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

I've gone green by using alcohol as a octane enhancer additive to the gasoline in my Tundra.  Except for that part where it takes more fossil fuel energy to make alcohol than if you just burned gasoline in the first place. :knuppel2:

Which brings up another question.  Does having a Tundra now mean there well be less tundra in the future?  Any thoughts on this HC?

#14 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Believe it or not the plant were I starting working allowed employees to take two quarts of solvents, alcohols, or epoxy home with them.  I had several cans of anhydrous alcohol that I used to keep the water out of my gas tanks and as a starting fluid for my lawn mower. I also had some secondary Butyl Alcohol that I used for lighter fluid.  Unfortunately I used all of the stuff up.
Posted Image

#15 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

My idea of going green is walking as many places as I can and driving a car which gets 30+ mpg.  That's about it.

TXGA SETX Representative

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

I've gone green by using alcohol as a octane enhancer additive to the gasoline in my Tundra.  Except for that part where it takes more fossil fuel energy to make alcohol than if you just burned gasoline in the first place. :knuppel2:

Which brings up another question.  Does having a Tundra now mean there well be less tundra in the future?  Any thoughts on this HC?

Working for Big Oil, I'm not allowed to drive anything that gets more than 15 mpg.  ;)  My donation to the "geen effort" is that my commute is 8 miles, round trip.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#17 goldendogdad

goldendogdad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Amazingly, my neighborhood received our oversize recyling containers today...now I have no more excuses for not recycling.  As my contribution to going green, I traded in my 1999 GMC gas guzzling Suburban for a newer more fuel efficient Tahoe.  I accidently parked it one time in those "hybird vehicles only" parking spaces at Best Buy.  I figured out the nasty look from the guy parked next to me in his Prius when I saw the sign as I was pulling out of the space.

#18 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

I accidently parked it one time in those "hybird vehicles only" parking spaces at Best Buy.  I figured out the nasty look from the guy parked next to me in his Prius when I saw the sign as I was pulling out of the space.

Smugness knows no bounds.  South Park did a great episode on this.  I skipped parking in hybrid/alt fuel  vehicle spots  at hospital an Austin hospital only t come out later and see them filled with flex fuel Suburbans.  Since then I just ignore those signs.

#19 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

I've never run across the hybrid only parking signs.  I'm sure they will get under my skin as much as the parking spaces for pregnant women. 
Posted Image

#20 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

I've never run across the hybrid only parking signs.  I'm sure they will get under my skin as much as the parking spaces for pregnant women.

I've never seen the signs for hybrid cars either.  I don't think it would annoy me at all.  :notme:  :2funny:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users