• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cachendreams

cachendreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

I just finished up my first Counseling session for the new Geocaching merit badge.

Since the MB Pamphlet is not out yet, I have compiled information into a PDF file and also referenced the workbook on meritbadge.org.

If anyone is interested in this material, shoot me an email and I will glady share.

I had 24 Scouts from two Troops this morning.  For the first time doing this it went well -some minor tweaks to improve the flow moving better.  Of course the Scouts just want to use the GPS and go caching but the merit badge has a fair amount of background requirements.

#2 Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

That's great to hear. I stopped by the tent at the Lost and Found event at HQ and read the requirements. Fairly easy to lead a group through. One question I have though is the placing of a cache. Who is going to maintain the cache after the scout earns the badge?
I think I'd also like to see a requirement of different cache types. I also don't remember if environmental stewardship was included.
It's a great start, if I ever get time I really want to help out with the local troop again. :)

img.aspx?txt=Where%20is%20it???&uid=f5e6 stat5.aspx?id=10097992

#3 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Geocaching specific Leave No Trace reference:

http://www.leavenotr...eocaching.shtml

Leave No Trace dot Org (lnt.org) also has a new geocaching specific version of their Ethics Cards (those plastic hang cards you get at LNT training classes).  They are on the LNT site under the TEACH link (instead of the BUY link).
https://store.lnt.org/teach

I'm ordering 100 if any one wants some, just PM me.

Posted Image

#4 cachendreams

cachendreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

Skyrookie,

Requirement 8 has several options -the Scouts choose one from four available.

I believe you are referring to requirment 8 C -where Scout has to maintain the cache and track it.  See below.

8 C -Set up and hide a public geocache, following the guidelines in the Geocaching merit badge pamphlet. Before doing so, share with your counselor a six-month maintenance plan for the geocache where you are personally responsible for the first three months. After setting up the geocache, with your parent’s permission, follow the logs online for 30 days and share them with your counselor.

When I did my MB class we completed 8 D -We hosted a CITO event.  While we did not put the CITO on Geocaching.com we went over how to do it, the purpose and carried it out.  We are in Sugar Land so we went to Cullinan Park by the Sugar Land Airport -unfortunately the City of Houston is technically over this park and the trash situation is pretty bad.  We did trash pick up as we did another cache find in the park.

#5 buffalodonna

buffalodonna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

The requirements to earn the Geocaching Merit Badge have not been finalized.  The sneak peek of the requirements is to give you an idea of the requirements.  The release of the final requirements and the Merit Badge Book are due to be out at the end of the year.

#6 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

The pamphlet is not required to earn the badge. 

http://blog.scouting...s-released.html

here's a snippet:

The merit badge pamphlet is not yet available, but the Boy Scouts of America wanted to get the official requirements in the hands of Scouts and Scouters as soon as possible. The BSA knows that troops, districts, and councils will be planning spring and summer activities around this newest merit badge.

Posted Image

#7 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

I'll look at it more closely when we get back in town.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#8 cachendreams

cachendreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

Found this additional information at:  http://clipart.ussco.../Geocaching.asp

"Scouts can finish the requirements, but can't get credit for the badge until BSA officially releases the pamphlet and badge, and adds it to the advancement system.  Once they do, Scouts can and will get credit for the work they've already done, but the date earned will probably not be when they finished it, but when they can record the advancement in the system."

#9 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

OK, good clarification.  Anyone know how we can tell when it's updated in the advancement system? 

This begs the question....  will the requirements change again?  To be honest, I kind of hope they do... I'd like to see more caching required and more about the game and the vairous game pieces and practices.  I also think #9 should be rethought... maybe make it another option for # 8.

Sure a lot can (and should) be filled in that isn't in the requirements, but I could easily see the MB getting awarded without that diligence.

Posted Image

#10 cachendreams

cachendreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:33 PM

I hope it is final!  I signed off on 22 blue cards a couple weeks ago!  They are also teaching this at many summer camps this summer.  I will ask my contacts at Council when they think it will be in the advancement system.

;D

#11 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

Here is a blog entry / video about the Geocaching Merit badge.

http://blog.geocachi...st-found-video/

Posted Image

#12 Latitude Attitude

Latitude Attitude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaytown, TX

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

I've brought up geocaching a couple of times to the scoutmaster in the Troop my son is in and haven't gotten a great response.  I think I didn't explain it in a way that it made any sense to him.  I'm thinking about waiting until the pamphlet is created and it is official before proceding.  I don't think it would go over very well until then. 

However, I was able to do a Geocaching presentation with a demonstration with the Webelos.  Of course I was the Den Leader so it was easy to inject it into the meeting.  It was a hit with the boys.  They thought it was pretty cool.  I had lots of photos of geocaches in the area.   

Cachendreams I'll PM about the material you put together.  It would be nice to have everything ready when I let the troop know that I can help with the Merit Badge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users