48 replies to this topic

#1 agtitan

agtitan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationAtascocita, TX

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Goto geocaching.com then click the Feedback button on the right.  The highest voted topic so far is to bring back virtuals.  Go and vote to bring them back, and submit any other ideas you might have!

#2 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

I added to that list last night to bring back Webcams too. I think they have their own challenge to get because you have to have help to snap the picture.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

Goto geocaching.com then click the Feedback button on the right.  The highest voted topic so far is to bring back virtuals.  Go and vote to bring them back, and submit any other ideas you might have!

Thanks for posting this and yeah, also bringing back webcams is a great idea too!!!  O0 O0

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#4 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

I added to that list last night to bring back Webcams too. I think they have their own challenge to get because you have to have help to snap the picture.

not really you can just do it with your phone now.

#5 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

We did two webcams on our trip. I was able to use my phone and save the picture. Didn't have to call anyone.  :)
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#6 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

Jeremy has been adamant that virtuals will not darken the GC.com door again.  But I say "Fight the power!"

#7 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

Jeremy has been adamant that virtuals will not darken the GC.com door again.  But I say "Fight the power!"

He's being dense.  For a site that preaches "leave no trace" just what in the heck does he think about microspew!!!!!  :tickedoff:

Where's his argument?  Servers?  The money he WASTED on waymarking and whereigo could've EASILY purchased a BUNCH of servers.

We're with you on fight the power! O0 :peace:

He's being a nincompoop.  A real knucklehead.  >:(

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#8 Txsyank

Txsyank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationMo City

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

Voted for and then went to waymarking to see if it's comparable.  Almost but not quite as exciting as getting a smiley.  Heading to STL for the holiday and just found another few hundred thinds to look for on the way.  :crazy2: Wish I could create a route to add to the one I generated on GC.com

#9 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

Voted for and then went to waymarking to see if it's comparable.  Almost but not quite as exciting as getting a smiley. 

Yeah, well, with waymarking you'll always know where McDonald's and Starbucks are  ;D  but with Virtuals you'll be able to do boring things like see the wonders in National Parks and oddities you wouldn't find anywhere else without creating a geo-trail or worries about muggles.... :boring:

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#10 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

You choose which one you'd rather see:

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#11 cachecow_queen

cachecow_queen

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationColdspring

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

You choose which one you'd rather see:

Depends on how hungry you are.  ;)
It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by buzzards.

#12 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

Arches National Park > Golden Arches in my book.

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

The trouble is, with some cachers being what they are (see LPC micro-spew), there would be virtuals at every McDonalds, WalMart and newspaper stand in the country.  Folks could "place" hundreds of caches all over without ever leaving their home.

It would take an Earthcache-like review process to weed out the trash from the valid virtuals.  Maybe they could open them up again to areas where traditional caches are off-limits, like national parks?

Sorry if I sound like Jeremy...  :o
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#14 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

Arches National Park > Golden Arches in my book.

I completely agree.

Picture taken for Virtual at Dead Horse State Park over looking Arches/Canyon Lands

Posted Image

...although 300' behind where this picture was taken was a traditional... placed by the park.. no less.
http://coord.info/GC1PNQ8 (new link option on cache page is nice)
However.. we got an EarthCache, Virtual, and Traditional within 500'...  O0
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#15 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, well, with waymarking you'll always know where McDonald's and Starbucks are  ;D  but with Virtuals you'll be able to do boring things like see the wonders in National Parks and oddities you wouldn't find anywhere else without creating a geo-trail or worries about muggles.... :boring:

They have all the cool places too on waymarking. But I think they have too many categories that it is hard to sort through them all to find the good ones. You can ignore the categories you don't like and they won't show up for you anymore.

Also, the problem I see with waymarking is they let the community pick the new categories and with not enough people involved it lets in too many non ideal categories and poor waymarks. It is a good start, but you can see that they don't have enough manpower / desire to fix it, or it would be much better.

Yeah, you don't get a smiley for visiting a waymark, but hopefully you enjoyed your visit. You just don't get another +1 added to your finds list. It's not about the numbers is it?
Posted Image

#16 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

In agreement with HC's comment, what we need is a history cache category, with an earth cache like review board. 

One of the many problems with waymarks is the absence of any PQ like feature and no simple paperless way to carry logging requirements with you.  It's easy enough to use automation to make GPX of a category like Texas historical markers (though against the TOS) that all have the same logging requirements but if you want to get more elaborate, the difficulty goes way up.  For me the fact that every Starbucks in the world is a waymark undermines the value of finding them.  If it is no more difficult than buying a cup of coffee, then why bother to do it. 

#17 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

The trouble is, with some cachers being what they are (see LPC micro-spew), there would be virtuals at every McDonalds, WalMart and newspaper stand in the country.  Folks could "place" hundreds of caches all over without ever leaving their home.

It would take an Earthcache-like review process to weed out the trash from the valid virtuals.  Maybe they could open them up again to areas where traditional caches are off-limits, like national parks?

Sorry if I sound like Jeremy...  :o

No you don't. One reason they stopped approving them was because of a shoddy review process....and you're correct, a earthcache type process would be great.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#18 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

It's not about the numbers is it?

It shouldn't be but reality dictates otherwise with the masses...

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#19 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

One of the many problems with waymarks is the absence of any PQ like feature and no simple paperless way to carry logging requirements with you.  It's easy enough to use automation to make GPX of a category like Texas historical markers (though against the TOS) that all have the same logging requirements but if you want to get more elaborate, the difficulty goes way up.  For me the fact that every Starbucks in the world is a waymark undermines the value of finding them.  If it is no more difficult than buying a cup of coffee, then why bother to do it.

I agree with the idea that it is a burden in trying to navigate the differences in the logging requirements from category to category. There has been talk of making a standard logging requirement across all categories, but I don't think it has been implemented. Groundspeak would have to bless that big of a change, and they have been hands off on waymarking for a while now IMHO.

They have LOC file downloads for one page at a time, but that is not ideal either.

The iPhone "Historic Places" waymarking app is a good idea, but limited in practice.

I can see the limited benefit of having a database of the Starbucks, but I wouldn't consider it fun and wouldn't want to participate in that category either.
Posted Image

#20 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

They have LOC file downloads for one page at a time, but that is not ideal either.

Its automating the download for multiple pages that violates the TOS.

I can see the limited benefit of having a database of the Starbucks, but I wouldn't consider it fun and wouldn't want to participate in that category either.

While  messing around on the waymaking site the other day, I noticed that you had made a sizable contribution to some good categories.  It made me think about starting to find them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users