• PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

Manofsteel73 of Cypress, TX.
Posted Image
Posted Image

What got you interested in caching?
Manofsteel73: I was attending a company training class in Phoenix and as a part of the training, we had to do a group presentation on any topic of interest. One of the individuals in my group was a geocacher. He explained geocaching to the group and we did our presentation on that subject. When I got back home from the training, I was telling my son about geocaching and he immediately got on the internet to check it out. After a couple of months of my son asking for a GPSr, I finally ordered one on the internet. The two of us made a couple of unsuccessful searches and finally a year to the date of creating the geocaching account, we found our first cache. We were hooked and the rest is history.

How did you decide on your caching name?
Manofsteel73: My son created the geocaching account using Manofsteel73. He played football and his teammates called him Man of Steel because of his strength. His football jersey number was 73 thus the father-son team was created. When my son went off to college, he created a separate cache name, Manofsteel72.

When you cache, what equipment do you use? (PDA, Garmin, Magellan, software)
Manofsteel73: I use a Garmin 60CSx with GSAK to load caches and GeocacheNavigator on a BlackBerry for paperless caching.

What are your all-time favorite cache(s)?
Manofsteel73: My all time favorite caches are the FTFC trophy caches. I enjoy the challenge of solving the puzzles and making the run to be first to find regardless of the time of day or night.

Do you have any special caching adventures you want to tell us about?
Manofsteel73: We took a vacation to the Northwest three years ago to complete the Northwest Trifecta. We found the Original Stash Tribute Plaque cache, visited Groundspeak Headquarters, and the Ape cache, Mission 9: Tunnel of Light. At the time, the old abandoned rail road tunnel on the trail to the Ape cache was still open to the public. We hiked the 2.25 miles through the tunnel with flashlights, which was a neat experience. The Ape cache was our 500th find.

Have any "Most embarrassing Geo-moment" you would like to share? Details please!
Manofsteel73: We were caching the Pastor series on the back roads of East Texas. I had missed the turn into a small cemetery to grab a cache. I decided to back up the 300 feet to get the cache. Before I realized it, I had backed into the drainage ditch along the road and was stuck. We worked unsuccessfully for about an hour trying to get out of the ditch. In my frustration, I set down on the side of the road and set right in the middle of a fire ant bed. It didn't take long to realize I had ants in my pants. I had to take drastic actions to get the ants out of my pants. My wife and son were of no help as they were laughing too hard.

What is your favorite type of cache (traditional, multi, puzzle) and why?
Manofsteel73: My favorite type of cache is a traditional cache hidden in the woods and involves a good hike along a trail or remote area of a park. I like to get outdoors, do some hiking, and possibly see some wildlife.

What is your favorite local cache?
Manofsteel73: That's a tough question to answer because there are some many great caches around Houston. Donde Esta's Sleepy Hollow cache was soo realistic. The reaction of some fellow cachers was hilarious. I also really enjoyed 2bentbikes House Series.

Summer or Winter caching? Why?
Manofsteel73: Winter caching because the hikes are easier during the cool weather and there are fewer mosquitoes.

When a new cache is listed, are you tempted to go for FTF?
Manofsteel73: Yes, obviously I am always tempted to go after a FTF. My son got his first FTF by himself. The FTF bug bit him first and with him pushing me to go with him, the FTF bug eventually bit me.

Tell us about your cache mobile.
Manofsteel73: My cache mobile is a maroon 1996 Acura Integra. I got the car as a work car for the good gas mileage and it has been perfect for caching.

What other hobbies do you have?
Manofsteel73: After geocaching there's not much time for other activities but occasionally I get the opportunity to do some camping.

Do you currently have any caching goals that you are working towards?
Manofsteel73: I would like to reach 5,000 finds by year end. I also have five caches remaining to complete the Finds by Placed Month which I would like to obtain by year end. This will require some traveling out of state to complete.

Is it all about the numbers?
Manofsteel73: The numbers is a big part of it but it's also about getting out to places and seeing areas you would never see otherwise.

Thanks for this interview. Is there anything you would like to add?
Manofsteel73: I would just like to say thanks to all that have placed caches to make this adventure so much fun.

This post has been promoted to an article

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,783 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

Great interview of a even greater cacher! Couldn't ask for a nicer guy. Someday I would like to meet his evil twin! :D
Posted Image

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

Nice writeup!  Enjoyed caching with you on the Mother Goose Series!
Posted Image

#4 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, TX

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

An awesome read!

It was fun having an impromptu meet up at the Battle Lake Run series last November.
We should go caching again sometime if we can magically make our schedules align.
Posted Image

#5 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

Always good to read up on my great nemisis...to find new ways to steal his powers...mmm fire ants.  :2funny:

#6 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Great read MOS73!!  Congrats on being nominated and winning!!  See ya on the trails and much luck to your next milestone of 5,000.....

#7 FamilieRyan

FamilieRyan

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN29 43.150, w095 45.800

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

Great interview!  Congrats!

#8 easygroomer

easygroomer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Location22714 Anthony Hay Ct. Katy, Texas 77449

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

Nice right up MOS, I have had some fun with your hides and trying to beat you out to ftfs.  O.K., when I see a newly published cache in your area, I don't even think about going for it.  How many ftfs do you have?

#9 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Whether it is putting out a fun series like the Monopoly series or driving 100 miles to do a series, MOS is a great choice for cacher of the month.  He is such a nice guy too.  I always enjoy seeing him and his wife at an event or while caching.  I actually think he took the name “Man of Steel” because he is the one who seems to “steel”  ;) the FTF’s.  Congratulations!  O0

#10 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

How did you get the truck out of the ditch???

#11 Raven

Raven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

Cool write-up!  Any cacher who truly enjoys hides which are "hidden in the woods and involve a good hike along a trail or remote area of a park" is A-OK by me.  O0 
Thanks for the write-up!

#12 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,320 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thought I would drop a link to MOS's spotlight article on TXGA here.. Seems appropriate.

http://www.texasgeoc...012manofsteel73

I beat MOS to a FTF.... once. I don't think he would let it happen again :)

Congrats on being an awesome cacher!

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#13 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Come on Terry I am always seeing you smile and those pics make you look like a grumpus! Great read anyone that can go hit 2700 caches in 5 days with me is all right! The best thing about the trip is all four of us never argued once. Glad to see you featured after a great moment at the Challenge.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

Come on Terry I am always seeing you smile and those pics make you look like a grumpus! Great read anyone that can go hit 2700 caches in 5 days with me is all right! The best thing about the trip is all four of us never argued once. Glad to see you featured after a great moment at the Challenge.

LOL Agreed. Terry may be quiet from time to time, but he's always smiling. And in this pic, at first glance, it looks like his pants are undone. That must have been SOME celebration!!!

#15 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

Manosteel73 is my hero. I wear his hatpin on tilley hat for extra caching mojo! :laugh: When I grow up, I'm going to try and be just like him.

TXGA SETX Representative

#16 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Who doesn't! Congratulations, MOS73, for your amazing caching at the Texas Challenge and for the great article! Well deserved honors!

#17 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

He got around from cache to cache so quickly at the Texas Challenge because he can fly.
Posted Image

#18 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

A better choice for COM doesn't exist. I've only recently come to really appreciate MOS73 and what a cool guy he is. This game surely would be less interesting and less fun without MOS73. (tho many of us would have more FTFs! ;)

Congrats Terry! Great choice Houston Geocachers!

K
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users