#1 ATPerkins

ATPerkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationFM 1960 and Veterans Memorial Area

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hi all,

I thought this would be a fun hobby for me when I retire (in a few years.)  I found this site and the national one and signed into both.  But I haven't met any one else doing geocaching.

Well, today I desided to put my toe in the water and went out "for a walk".  I found my first cache, not a mile from my home.  I have to admit, even for a 60+ year old retired military member, I was stoked.  The GPS is much easier than a plain compass and its fun to use old skills a new way.

Anyway, I've got couple of questions.  1) Are there any kind of regular meetings, or anything like that?  2)  Is there an experienced member close to me that can bring a newbie along?  I live in the Jersey Village area part of the time and the FM1960 and Veterans Memorial area the rest.

#2 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, TX

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

Welcome!

There are several monthly events where you can meet cachers.
The Park and Gabs are mostly on the NW side of town.
There is one on the 21st.
GC1Y2QJ

There is also Club UFO which meets for lunch.
There is one on the 9th.
GC1XNQG

Posted Image

#3 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

Welcome to geocaching and our addiction.  This is a great sport/hobby for so many folks with varying interests, mobility, and sense of adventure.

I think you'll like it a lot and this forum has a ton of great folks who can help you get started and is a pretty tight-knit group. 

Have fun and good hunting.

#4 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

Welcome! The events are a great place to meet everyone and get your questions answered. It's a great hobby and good exercise.  :)

#5 ATPerkins

ATPerkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationFM 1960 and Veterans Memorial Area

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

Thanks.

I'll try to attend the meeting on the 21st.  But, I've got another question.  How do you get your stats tag to show up under your fourm inputs?

#6 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

Thanks.

I'll try to attend the meeting on the 21st.  But, I've got another question.  How do you get your stats tag to show up under your fourm inputs?

PM sent with info.

#7 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:28 AM

Hi and welcome!

As others have said, this is a great place to be a sponge and soak up a lot of good info.  Also, we saw you were attending the event and that's another great way to get answers....  we'll be there and are more than happy to lend a hand if you have questions...that's one of the good things about any event, not just the Park and Gab events, although they were "designed" with that as one aspect in their concept.

You've started at a time of year where it's just starting to cool off...and when that happens you tend to see more groups of folks get together for outings (group caching) and in particular, in George Bush Park (GBP)  There are tons of caches to do there and a very good way of getting your fill would be the Muddy Buddies' Noble Trail Series since it's a relatively easy walk and the caches aren't killer hides  (it doesn't appear to be meant to torture people..)

Whereas our "One Big Smile" series in that park that we hid with Pappy'sPosse and Jigsaw Jim, while not hard in-and-of-themselves, the terrain is all "off road" scrub with no defined trails (at least not until more people get out there) so it probably should be avoided until you feel a lot more comfortable or better, do it with a group...

Again, welcome!  :)

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#8 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

Welcome!

There are several monthly events where you can meet cachers.
The Park and Gabs are mostly on the NW side of town.
There is one on the 21st.
GC1Y2QJ

There is also Club UFO which meets for lunch.
There is one on the 9th.
GC1XNQG

And the Houston Geoholics Anonymous event the first Tuesday of every month at 7pm at Abe's Cajun Restaurant on Clear Lake City Blvd..
HGA Oct event

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users