112 replies to this topic

#61 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:14 AM

After reading James Michener's memoir, The World is My Home, (boy, what a well-traveled life he lived!) I started reading one of his books, Mexico, and am being educated about the art of bullfighting.  With school starting back up, it will probably take me a month to finish it.  BTW, because of geocaching, we found out he is buried in Austin, TX.  ;) (Mrs. ZHR)

#62 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

I recently enjoyed reading Abraham Verghese's Cutting for Stone and Little Bee, by Chris Cleave. Both books made me appreciate more how difficult life in third world countries is, and how privileged we are here in America. They also both demonstrate both the strength and the frailty of human relationships.

Just had to add that I've finished Cutting for Stone and was just amazed how beautiful it was. I've now ordered his memoir, My Own Country, so I can continue the love affair with his writing.

#63 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

Just finished an alternate history book called The Grapple, set in the 1940's by Harry Turtledove, where they were building a prison camp in Humble, TX, because of the easy access to rail lines. Enjoying the series, may be the 7th
or 8th book of his I've read, thanks to Mr. ZHR's library system!

I've been visiting and enjoying public libraries for more than 50 yrs now. I wonder if this will be the last generation for libraries, newspapers, cookbooks, real estate agents, travel agents, book and record stores, AAA, 8 tracks...

#64 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Just finished an alternate history book called The Grapple, set in the 1940's by Harry Turtledove, where they were building a prison camp in Humble, TX, because of the easy access to rail lines. Enjoying the series, may be the 7th
or 8th book of his I've read, thanks to Mr. ZHR's library system!

I've been visiting and enjoying public libraries for more than 50 yrs now. I wonder if this will be the last generation for libraries, newspapers, cookbooks, real estate agents, travel agents, book and record stores :what???: , AAA, 8 tracks :what???: :what???: :what???: ...

Posted Image

#65 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Should I finally spring for a VCR? It is getting harder to find new releases for the Betamax.
And I may have bought the last land line sold by Walmart when the cord broke on the old wall phone.

Edited by bbqbob2, 15 February 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#66 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Should I finally spring for a VCR? It is getting harder to find new releases for the Betamax.
And I may have bought the last land line sold by Walmart when the cord broke on the old wall phone.

Did the phone have a crank? :2funny:

#67 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

On both ends.

#68 crossmage

crossmage

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

I am finishing up the Felix Castor series of Urban Fantasy, after finishing Dresden and the Iron Druid. Not sure what to read next....

Posted Image

#69 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Going back and re-reading some series/saga's that I've read in the past. I love the series/saga's but some being spaced out of 5, 10, 15yrs I find it interesting in re-reading the whole series once it's completed at one time in sequence. There's a lot of stuff I forget in between books and over time. Recently I've re-read the Sword of Truth Saga, The Saga of Recluce, The wheel of time series (yes, the final book hasn't been released yet), and currently reading the Farseer/Tawny Man Series (two trilogies that are back to back.) Yes, I enjoy Fantasy Saga's.

Posted Image Posted Image

#70 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

The wheel of time series (yes, the final book hasn't been released yet)

What??? was the second part of the three parts of the final book released? Did that plan change to just two parts? Oh, I am so confused!

If Robert Jordon hadn't died in an such an ji way, he would owe us serious toh for leaving it hanging so.

Foot Note: OMG, Tower of Midnight came out at the end of 2010! How could I have missed that (must have been geo-caching!)?!? Brandon Sanderson, I have great toh to you for such a lapse of awareness.

On a more conventional note... my youngest is reading the narnia series which I read to them as younglings and I read as a kid and my parents read to me as a youngling.
Posted Image

#71 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

Wow. TMNI.

#72 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

The wheel of time series (yes, the final book hasn't been released yet)

What??? was the second part of the three parts of the final book released? Did that plan change to just two parts? Oh, I am so confused!

If Robert Jordon hadn't died in an such an ji way, he would owe us serious toh for leaving it hanging so.

Foot Note: OMG, Tower of Midnight came out at the end of 2010! How could I have missed that (must have been geo-caching!)?!? Brandon Sanderson, I have great toh to you for such a lapse of awareness.

On a more conventional note... my youngest is reading the narnia series which I read to them as younglings and I read as a kid and my parents read to me as a youngling.

Yes, as you've footnoted Tower of Midnight came out at the end of 2010 and I bought it when it came out and started re-reading the series, because at the time, book 3 of the final book(s) was scheduled for fall 2011. I think right now it's scheduled for fall 2012. Which I guess means it will come out around 2015 and I have to re-read the whole series again.

For those of you who don't know the Wheel of time is a series of now 15 books (well 14 released, 1 unreleased and a couple more side novels to boot), that average in the neighborhood of 800 pages each. And I'm a slow reader who reads about 1-2hrs / night so it takes me a long time to get through the series.

The funny thing is, I bought the first book probably around 15yrs ago. I started to read it 3 different times and kept putting it down because it seemed too wordy too me and the names used Tamlin, Matrim, ... where just annoying IMO, but I knew the series was very popular (I think book 6 was out when I started) so I forced myself to get past the first 100 pages or so, and started enjoying it more (when they left the two rivers.)

#73 geohiker

geohiker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

I read Dilbert almost every day.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#74 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

I read Dilbert almost every day.

Why am I not surprised? LOL!! :2funny:

#75 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Since it's an election year, I'm currently rereading Nineteen Eighty Four. Still relevant (perhaps even more so...)
Posted Image

#76 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Since it's an election year, I'm currently rereading Nineteen Eighty Four. Still relevant (perhaps even more so...)

I watched a bit of the movie between honey-do's and all I can say is... the part with the rat in the cage strapped to his (John Hurt's?) face... Truly shocking and creepy.

#77 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

My first exposre to 1984 was the Orwell inspiried David Bowie song of the same name when Bowie perfomed the 1980 floor show on The Midnight Special

They’ll split your pretty cranium and fill it full of air
and tell you are eighty but brother you won't care.

You'll be shooting up as usual
like tomorrow wasn't there.

Beware the savage jaw of 1984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ymyWS82NsY

#78 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

I watched a bit of the movie between honey-do's and all I can say is... the part with the rat in the cage strapped to his (John Hurt's?) face... Truly shocking and creepy.

I recorded the movie, then decided to reread the book. Haven't finished the book yet. I'll be sure to watch for the rat.
Posted Image

#79 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Waking up this old thread with the best book I've read in years, "One Last Thing Before I Go" by Jonathan Tropper. Starts funny, great dialogue and story along the way with a few tears and (spoiler alert) a knockout ending. Still a little teary-eyed, and I'm as sensitive as a toilet seat.

He's written about five other books and I'm looking forward to reading them all, based on this gem. Enjoy!

#80 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Updating mine - Finally reading the Last book of the Wheel of Time Series - I've got about 200 pages left.  Will Rand Live or not, will Elayne have her babies, Will Perrin get Slayer, will (name a character) survive the final battle, will the pattern fail, ....  but most important will the Dark One be Re-imprisoned, Escape, or be Killed - and will the wheel continue to turn?

After this, I'll be re-reading the series 'A Song of Ice and Fire' better known as the books for the HBO Series "Game of Thrones", it's been a number of years since I read the first four books, and there's a couple more added to the list since then.  The story line and focus of the first season of "Game of thrones" seemed an very large departure from the book, but I'm just wandering if I'm only recalling the items that were most prominent in my mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users