zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Mr. Z here:
I thought this would be a good thread.
I'm reading Richard North Patterson's Degree of Guilt.

#2 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

Just finished Harlen Coben's "Long Lost" yesterday and it's about a low B. Myron Bolitar is the main character and I usually enjoy those, but this wasn't his best.

#3 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

I am a fan of *historical fiction* and a big fan of Sharon K. Penman (writes about King Henry II and Queen Eleanor of Aqiuitine and their brood).  Have read all her books but her mini series, which I can't quite get into yet, plus she is currently writing a book about King Richard (The Lionheart), which am looking foward to publication!!

While waiting for Penman to finish her book I have begun reading Anya Seaton's books, currently I am reading Katherine which is where I am beginning my journey through her writing and various journeys through the British Monarchy.

#4 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

I just finished the geocaching thriller..... Abomination by Colleen Coble The LGNE recommended. (I think it was LGNE, might not have been). Interesting read.

#5 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

I've been working on "Custer's Brother's Horse".  An excerpt from it was run in 'Texas Monthly' and it sounded pretty interesting.  The book has been a bit of a disappointment. :P  I will probably finish it but don't know about recommending it. :-\

#6 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

Clive Cussler's "Valhalla Rising"  I Love Dirk Pitt

Posted Image

#7 gabbytabby

gabbytabby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

I'm reading Beneath the Window: Early Ranch Life in the Big Bend Country.  It's not fiction, but still a good book.  It's Patricia Wilson Clothier's memoir from growing up in what is now Big Bend National Park.  It's a fascinating read, especially since while out on a hike out there in June, Mr. GT and I stumbled upon some of the old fence posts from the Wilson's sheep ranch.  After having seen and touched many of the places she writes about, I can picture all her stories playing out in my mind.

Posted Image

#8 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Mrs. Zoot here:

I am trying to catch up on the past three or four months' of National Geographic magazines.  I have a book ready to pick up at the library: the third in the series of 11  Horatio Hornblower novels by C.S. Forester (one of my second graders recommended the series to me - I am truly amazed that these adult novels with their early 19th century naval terminology kept his attention).  I am about halfway through Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (recommended to me by my daughter, mightybruja) - something I have been reading off an on since May.  Also waiting for me at the library is Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (I highly recommend her book of essays Hide Tide in Tucson).

#9 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

I just finished the geocaching thriller..... Abomination by Colleen Coble The LGNE recommended. (I think it was LGNE, might not have been). Interesting read.

Darn it.  I've been plotting out a geocaching thriller in my head as well, all the good ideas get taken before I have the time to get to them!
Right now I am reading Terry Goodkind's Dragon's First Rule series.  I am on book 2, Stone of Tears.  Each book has been around 1000 pages so far but I go through the books prettty fast, since I can't seem to put it down.  It is about wizards and dragons and magic and things of fantasy nature, not what I usually read but the characters captivate me.  I enjoy historical fiction and pop philosophy books the best, I think.
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#10 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Mrs. Zoot here:

I am trying to catch up on the past three or four months' of National Geographic magazines.  I have a book ready to pick up at the library: the third in the series of 11  Horatio Hornblower novels by C.S. Forester (one of my second graders recommended the series to me - I am truly amazed that these adult novels with their early 19th century naval terminology kept his attention).  I am about halfway through Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (recommended to me by my daughter, mightybruja) - something I have been reading off an on since May.  Also waiting for me at the library is Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (I highly recommend her book of essays Hide Tide in Tucson).

She was the author of Poisonwood Bible.  An *Oprah* selection and a good one!

#11 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

Mrs. Zoot here:

She was the author of Poisonwood Bible.  An *Oprah* selection and a good one!

I am reading another one of her books, Fire Dancer. So far, so good.

#12 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:28 AM

Posted Image

#13 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

I wish I could say I'd read a god novel recently.  However, today I have read several reports on the economy and the stock and bond markets that seemed to be pretty much just plain fiction. 

#14 callalily54

callalily54

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

Yesterday, I finished Cross Country; today I started on the latest Prey novel (John Sanford), Phantom Prey

#15 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

Enjoy that Sanford, any Lucas Davenport is a good read.

#16 callalily54

callalily54

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

Enjoy that Sanford, any Lucas Davenport is a good read.

I was introduced to Lucas a few years ago, in one of the books after he quit drinking.  When I found out it was a series, over the past years I have gone to used book stores searching them out, and now I've read them all.  It's one of the several series that I keep up-to-date  (that means I'll buy the new one in hardcover and not wait for the paperback).

Have you read Phantom Prey

#17 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

Nothing right now but I can't say enough about the last 2 I read:

For brevity, I'll just say AWESOME!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

I bought The Pillars of the Earth by Follett at our library's used bookstore and have it  on my "to read" pile...glad to hear it is a good read.
--Mrs. Zoot

#19 Donde Esta

Donde Esta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:21 PM

I also just finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Great epic tale set in 12th century England. O0

#20 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

I also just finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Great epic tale set in 12th century England. O0

World Without End is even BETTER and is set 300 years later. The decendants of Tom Builder and others are in it. People didn't move around much back then.

The books made me understand life within the feudal system wayyy better than any text book ever did. O0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users