143 replies to this topic

#121 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

For the Closest to the Pin contest,, we do it a little differently than most event organizers do. There's no walking up with gpsr in hand and placing a little flimsy flag where you think it should go. Instead, and to add a little more challenge to the contest, we have ours set up like this. Participants watch his or her gpsr units and jump from 10,000 feet when they think they're over the pin. Judges will be stationed to mark where each cacher lands, thus determining his or her "guess" for the contest.

On this note, the plane itself has been rented, is fueled, and is ready to go. Unfortunately, this morning i pulled a couple of the parachutes that we had stored in our attic and found that moths had gotten to them somehow. I think they are still useable and i'm bringing them this Saturday but i'm not sure how reliable they will be. So, since safety is of the utmost importance to our event organizers, we wanted to post this. Please, feel free to bring your own chute if you plan on entering the Closest to the Pin contest.

Only 4 days,,, With this and Davarle's invaluable tips and tricks, we're looking forward to having another great Octoberfest this year!  O0

I found one CHEAP on ebay, the ad read "Only used once, never opened."

#122 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

For the Closest to the Pin contest,, we do it a little differently than most event organizers do. There's no walking up with gpsr in hand and placing a little flimsy flag where you think it should go. Instead, and to add a little more challenge to the contest, we have ours set up like this. Participants watch his or her gpsr units and jump from 10,000 feet when they think they're over the pin. Judges will be stationed to mark where each cacher lands, thus determining his or her "guess" for the contest.

On this note, the plane itself has been rented, is fueled, and is ready to go. Unfortunately, this morning i pulled a couple of the parachutes that we had stored in our attic and found that moths had gotten to them somehow. I think they are still useable and i'm bringing them this Saturday but i'm not sure how reliable they will be. So, since safety is of the utmost importance to our event organizers, we wanted to post this. Please, feel free to bring your own chute if you plan on entering the Closest to the Pin contest.

Only 4 days,,, With this and Davarle's invaluable tips and tricks, we're looking forward to having another great Octoberfest this year!  O0

I think that the parachutes will be just fine, but we will be bringing our own.  I can bring some extra body bags just in case.

#123 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:20 AM

SETX Octoberfest will happen in just a few days.  Preparation is of the utmost importance.
Day 3:
When arriving at the registration desk, please make sure to get on the appropriate line, alphabetically or you will not be allowed in. 
It’s really quite simple. For example, we will be getting on the A-E line because our name starts with a “D”.  There will be signs indicating: A-E, G-I, P-Y.  Please note that since SETX Octoberfest gets bigger and better every year, this year they have added the “Y”.

#124 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

SETX Octoberfest will happen in just a few days.  Preparation is of the utmost importance.
Day 3:
When arriving at the registration desk, please make sure to get on the appropriate line, alphabetically or you will not be allowed in. 
It’s really quite simple. For example, we will be getting on the A-E line because our name starts with a “D”.  There will be signs indicating: A-E, G-I, P-Y.  Please note that since SETX Octoberfest gets bigger and better every year, this year they have added the “Y”.

Poor Zephyr is not allowed. 
Posted Image

#125 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, TX

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:43 AM

Does anybody want to split gasoline costs and car pool over to the event?
I'm considering leaving Friday after work if I can work that out.
Posted Image

#126 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:13 AM

Day 3:

....and there are no "M"'s....  :notme:

#127 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:55 AM

I was hoping to get to Octoberfest but my car will be in the shop. Anyone leaving Sat and returning Sat
looking for a gas- buying passenger? The Pocket Query is already loaded.

#128 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

Day 3:

That's just wrong.  :'(
Posted Image

#129 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

SETX Octoberfest will happen in just a few days.  Preparation is of the utmost importance.
Day 3:
It’s really quite simple. For example, we will be getting on the A-E line because our name starts with a “D”.  There will be signs indicating: A-E, G-I, P-Y.  Please note that since SETX Octoberfest gets bigger and better every year, this year they have added the “Y”.

....and there are no "M"'s....  :notme:

That's just wrong.  :'(

Does it go by last name?  In that case we're a "B"  for Buddies.   ;D
Posted Image

#130 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

Day 3:

Does it go by lasr name?  In that case we're a "B"  for Buddies.   ;D

I checked with the SETX Octoberfest officials.  It goes by first name, but don't worry,  I'll fill you guys in on how the event goes when I get home.

#131 geohiker

geohiker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

I was hoping to get to Octoberfest but my car will be in the shop. Anyone leaving Sat and returning Sat

Cachestacker and I are doing the Saturday round trip.  I think he lives down South.  You might see if you can work out something with him.  We are meeting downtown because I'm coming from NW side.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#132 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

I am looking for a ride too.  ;)  Maybe we can hitchhike old school.

#133 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Day 3:

Yes it is!  :tickedoff:

But, i've already gotten it figured out. Ya'll just stay close and we'll all sneak in while everyone else is watching the Battle of the Bands contest!  O0

#134 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

Day 3:

But, i've already gotten it figured out. Ya'll just stay close and we'll all sneak in while everyone else is watching the Battle of the Bands contest!  O0

Yeah!  Just wear a ribbon on your shirt that says "Judge" and you'll get in easy....or maybe one of those shirts that have "SECURITY" printed on the back.    ;)
Posted Image

#135 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

Day 3:

Yeah!  Just wear a ribbon on your shirt that says "Judge" and you'll get in easy....or maybe one of those shirts that have "SECURITY" printed on the back.    ;)

Wait a second.  Do you mean that you will not be wearing lederhosen?

#136 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:10 AM

SETX Octoberfest is just about here. If you have been following the helpful tips, you should be proud of yourself, knowing that you have prepared successfully.  Here are some last minute things to do.
Day 2:
Load GPS.
Bring hiking stick.
Drink plenty of fluids.
Get passport out of the safety deposit box.
Get Vitamin B-12 shot.
Bring entry fee.
Pine cones.
Multiply, then divide.
Put batteries in the fog horn.
Use the large holes of the grater.

#137 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:03 AM

So, Davarle, what time are you leaving Houston to head to the event? 
Posted Image

#138 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

Oh my goodness.  Is the event tomorrow?  I wasn't going to go because I hadn't prepared or planned.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

#139 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:48 AM

SETX Octoberfest is finally here. Your last tip for today.

Day 1:
Have fun!!!

#140 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:25 AM

Oh my goodness.  Is the event tomorrow?  I wasn't going to go because I hadn't prepared or planned.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Can I have your "D" spot then since the "M"s aren't allowed? 
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users