143 replies to this topic

#101 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

October is finally here.  There are only nine more days to plan for SETX Octoberfest.  If you follow these last few steps, it will take away your confusion and fear.

Day 9:
There are great prizes given away at every SETX Octoberfest, so make sure you preregister for all contests and giveaways.  If you don’t preregister you can’t win anything.    The final day for preregistration is Septem … um.. . oh never mind.

#102 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:10 AM

SETX Octoberfest will be here in 8 days.  You must take time to prepare.
Day 8:
Make sure you bring plenty of marine cable.
Don’t get the cheap stuff, and don’t rely on others to have extra.
There is nothing more upsetting than someone asking to borrow some of your marine cable.

#103 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

Day 8:
There is nothing more upsetting than someone asking to borrow some of your marine cable.

Oh!  and don't forget your henway.
Posted Image

#104 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:06 AM

Day 8:

Oh!  and don't forget your henway.

I already know this one, but I will play.

Mr. Muddy Buddies, what's a henway?

#105 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:15 AM

SETX Octoberfest will be here in one week.  Rather than give you a tip for today.  I decided to answer some of the many questions that have been pouring into my email. 

Day 7:

Answers to questions:

1. Yes, but it shouldn’t extend above the flange.

2. They said, “If you wish to offer a dish…” and I agree with your interpretation that as long as it is a plate or bowl, it need not contain any food.

3. Officially it’s at 9AM, but several people are going to get there the night before so that they are guaranteed admittance.

4. You are right, the correct spelling is, “definitely”.  If it bothers you that much, then resign your judging of the essay contest. 

5. Don’t be embarrassed.  I’m sure there will be a few other men that won’t be shaving their legs.

6. The last time I checked, it was 3, so your chances are good.

7. Hey, that is too personal, and I won’t be answering that question.

8. Say something that shows you understand what she’s going through, like, “It must be hard to have such a bratty, misbehaved child.”

9. Check the ingredients of the hand sanitizer, if it contains alcohol, you’ll have to leave it home.

10. I guess if you choose not to use the bungee cord, that’s your choice.

#106 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:50 AM

SETX Otoberfest will be here in less than a week.  Don’t slack off now.  Please remain diligent in your preparation.
Day six.
One word: Plastic.

#107 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

SETX Otoberfest will be here in less than a week.  Don’t slack off now.  Please remain diligent in your preparation.
Day six.

Oh shoot!  And we bought rolls of latex!

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#108 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Day six.

Oh shoot!  And we bought rolls of latex!

Last year you had your choice, but one of the cacher’s was allergic to latex, so it has been banned. You should have seen the welts on MTitchers.
Perhaps if you take the latex back to the store, they will let you exchange it.  Many times, people are so excited about SETX Octoberfest that they make impulse purchases, without planning.
You have probably recently realized what’s really important in life, which we all know is, checking with me before making all purchases related to SETX Octoberfest, so you won’t be embarrassed.

#109 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

Here is the latest email update from MakeItSo

Hey Everyone!

I want to remind everyone about our regular meeting on Monday, October 5.  If you have any door prizes or swag that you want to contribute to the event and you plan to come to the Monday night meeting, please bring them so I can get the swag bags together sometime this week.

Octoberfest 2009 is next weekend.  Everything is coming together nicely.  Based on the forums and blogs, it looks like this could be the biggest turn-out ever.  I'm getting very excited.

We currently have thirteen active caches in Claiborne West Park.  I've been trying to get an EarthCache published in the park but I have yet to get Orange County's approval.  ProMedRick was talking about a Mystery/Puzzle cache for the event but I don't know how he is doing there.  No matter, there are plenty of geocaches in the area.

I don't have any idea how many entries we will have for the Cache Container Contest.  We have five volunteer judges ready to pick the best.  Hopefully we will have more entries than awards.  I'll pickup the trophies and ribbons this week.  It should be an interesting contest.

Here is a list of the food that cachers have volunteered to bring for our "Pot Luck" lunch.  We are limited to only two duplex electrical receptacles at the pavilion so please plan accordingly.

Brisket

Chipped Beef (5 - 10 lbs.)

Zummo Links (5 lbs.)

Hot Tamales

Potato Salad

Chicken/Shrimp Salad

Salad

Banana Pudding

Chocolate Dessert

Bundt Cake

Snickers Bars

Sliced Bread (Wheat & White)

Hamburger Buns

Hot Dog Buns

Condiments – Mustard, Mayo, Ketchup, & Relish

Plasticware, Plates, Cups, & Paper towels

Ice (60 lbs.)

Beverages

Water (2 cases)

Sodas (5 @ 3 Liter)

Well, with that menu, I don't think we will go hungry.  Although we have water and some sodas, we could use more beverages.  Of course if there is something else you would like to add to the menu, it will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like it will be a great time so spread the word!

Hope to see y'all there!  MakeItSo

#110 Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

I can bring something sweet, either cookies or brownies.

img.aspx?txt=Where%20is%20it???&uid=f5e6 stat5.aspx?id=10097992

#111 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

Brownies - got a call from Makeitso, you are incharge of Brownies.

#112 Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

Brownies - got a call from Makeitso, you are incharge of Brownies.

Ok, deal!

img.aspx?txt=Where%20is%20it???&uid=f5e6 stat5.aspx?id=10097992

#113 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

Elisa, are you bringing PLAKES?  :2funny:
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#114 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

SETX Octoberfest is this weekend.  I have set up five additional phone lines to take your calls for last minute SETX Octoberfest advice.  Even with the extra lines, expect delays.  In order to make your wait more pleasant, while on hold, you can listen to Mrs. davarle’s greatest Octoberfest hits, such as, “I Never Promised You a Biergarten”, “Will I See you in October?”, “Brat Company”, and “Better or Wurst”
Day 6:
Be ready to make quick decisions. 
Last year a cacher was hanging off the side of the Alps at SETX Octoberfest. I yelled, “Do you want me to throw you a rope?”
We sure miss ProandConMedRick.

#115 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

SETX Octoberfest is this weekend.  I have set up five additional phone lines to take your calls for last minute SETX Octoberfest advice.  Even with the extra lines, expect delays.  In order to make your wait more pleasant, while on hold, you can listen to Mrs. davarle’s greatest Octoberfest hits, such as, “I Never Promised You a Biergarten”, “Will I See you in October?”, “Brat Company”, and “Better or Wurst”
Day 6:
Last year a cacher was hanging off the side of the Alps at SETX Octoberfest. I yelled, “Do you want me to throw you a rope?”

So on these greatest hits, is Mrs. Davarle actually singing? 
Posted Image

#116 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:49 PM

Day 6:

So on these greatest hits, is Mrs. Davarle actually singing? 

Yes.  It's mostly songs from her white album.

#117 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

Elisa, are you bringing PLAKES?   :2funny:

Yes, via Houston Control, I will bring 8 bags of PLATES, with the T changed to a K.  So yes, HC is picking up PLAKES for the group, thanks for volunteering!!  LOL!!!  :2funny: :2funny:

#118 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

SETX Octoberfest will be here in just a few days, and from all of your hotline questions, I can see that many of you are being diligent in preparing.
Day 5:
You must RSVP if you are planning on coming on GC.com or you will not be eligible to win backstage passes.
Also, SETX Octoberfest will then be able to know how many supplies they need (beer steins, chisels, hard hats, etc.), how many paramedics to have at the First Aid Tent, and how many Haz Mat stations to set up. The sooner you sign up, the  sooner you will have access to the 296 page addendum to “SETX Octoberfest Guide- Let’s Have Fun; Let’s Survive”, so make sure you sign up today.  Don’t forget to say what food item you are bringing and if you will be bringing your own bolt cutters.

#119 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:48 PM

There are only a few days left before SETX Octoberfest.  Here is your tip of the day.

Day 4: Make sure all of your shots are up to date.
I just learned that MalariaJoe3.14 will be attending, and he’s bringing his famous chicken flied steak.

#120 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

For the Closest to the Pin contest,, we do it a little differently than most event organizers do. There's no walking up with gpsr in hand and placing a little flimsy flag where you think it should go. Instead, and to add a little more challenge to the contest, we have ours set up like this. Participants watch his or her gpsr units and jump from 10,000 feet when they think they're over the pin. Judges will be stationed to mark where each cacher lands, thus determining his or her "guess" for the contest.

On this note, the plane itself has been rented, is fueled, and is ready to go. Unfortunately, this morning i pulled a couple of the parachutes that we had stored in our attic and found that moths had gotten to them somehow. I think they are still useable and i'm bringing them this Saturday but i'm not sure how reliable they will be. So, since safety is of the utmost importance to our event organizers, we wanted to post this. Please, feel free to bring your own chute if you plan on entering the Closest to the Pin contest.

Only 4 days,,, With this and Davarle's invaluable tips and tricks, we're looking forward to having another great Octoberfest this year!  O0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users