143 replies to this topic

#81 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

There are only 17 more days left until SETX Octoberfest.  Here are some things to do.

Day 17:
Practice for the yodeling contest.

Last year, a cacher got the SETX Octoberfest to add yodeling to one of the many contests, along with the blindfolded archery contest and the synchronized swim dancing contest, among others .  This cacher bragged about how great a yodeler he was, going on and on.  He intimidated so many people, that only one brave woman entered the contest against him.  The woman cacher went first, and yodeled respectfully.  Then it came time for the bragging yodeling cacher to sing.  I don’t want to make any disparaging remarks myself, so I’ll tell you what others have said.  They said that he croaked raspfully, and could barely yodel.  We were all majorly disappointed.  So practice your yodeling.
You wouldn’t want to embarrass yourself they way Dudfrog did last year.

My My, i've been trying to get my life back together after that embarrassing episode. My therapist tells me that i have the rare but dreaded yodelcachephobia, and that i need to face this fear head on before i can get past it. So, as hard as it is to even think about doing, i have been practicing my yodeling for the upcoming Event. Hopefully this will bring back my self esteem and cure me of this psychological nightmare once and for all.. 

Oh, almost forgot,,, My therapist advises that all attending this year's Event be sure and bring earplugs.  :o

#82 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:28 PM

SETX Octoberfest will be here before you know it. 
Day 16:
Today is the last day to sign up to be a judge for the many contests at SETX Octoberfest.  Judges are still needed for the cache container contest, the Steeplechase, and the Penn and Teller look-alike contest.
A SETX Octoberfest judge must be impartial and decisive.  One judge from last year will not be asked to come back this year because he didn’t like anything and gave every contestant an average score. Too bad, MakeItSo-So. 

#83 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

There are only 15 days left until SETX Octoberfest.  You must plan now!

Day 15:
String it, rotate 12.67 degrees, and fold.

I know this one is obvious, but can you imagine what could happen if you forgot?

#84 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,868 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:32 AM

All I have left to do to prepare for Octoberfest is to brush up on my Tai Kwon Do -- just in case that during any post-event caching I run across some guy beating up his girlfriend and I have to save her... and then help her look for her cell phone.  ::)
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#85 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

All I have left to do to prepare for Octoberfest is to brush up on my Tai Kwon Do -- just in case that during any post-event caching I run across some guy beating up his girlfriend and I have to save her... and then help her look for her cell phone.  ::)

See, this is what I love about geocaching, we all just happen upon people in need and help, even when we don't realize it.   HC was looking for a film canister, little did he know he would find a *domestic disturbance*!!  

I wish you could have used you *Tai Kwon Do* experience when we met up the the JV Police last year.  If I remember correctly that guy had a bit of a *Napoleon* complex when he was talking with you!  Little *bas&*^%*... heheheheh  :) ;D

I think Kirbydox could have kicked some butt tho, while the rest of the police force (7 total), were arresting me and dragging me away to the prison cell in *Jersey Village city.*  LOL!!

#86 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Posted Image

I'm so there!!!

oh wait.... wrong Oktoberfest.... crap.... >:(

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#87 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

Those are some nice looking    ...  beers.
Posted Image

#88 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:27 PM

Posted Image

I'm so there!!!

oh wait.... wrong Oktoberfest.... crap.... >:(

Love the avatar  :D :D TFP!!

They have had them since they were 12!!  The beers I mean!!  :D >:D

#89 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:53 PM

We need to be serious now.  There will be time to have fun at SETX Octoberfest, but now we must concentrate on preparation.  SETX Octoberfest will be here in only 2 weeks.  Do not expect to show up without preparing in advance.

Day 14:
Last day to get your application in for SETX Octoberfest King and Queen.

When filling out your application, make sure to have your transcript handy.  You will need 2 forms of ID, and a passport picture. A 3 minute video of your talent must accompany every application.  Videos will become the property of SETX Octoberfest, will not be returned, and may be used to make fun of you in the future.
Two references are required.  You may use the dictionary or encyclopedia, but not both.
Tax statements from the last two years must be paper-clipped to page 29 of the application.
Essay question answers must be typed, double-spaced, and a minimum of two pages long.  Please answer all four questions.
Application fee of $47.26 must be in the form of a cashier’s or cacher’s check.

Some of the duties of the SETX Octoberfest King and Queen include, but are not limited to:
Waving with an open palm 45 degrees at wrist to the right, then 39 degrees at wrist to the left. 
Wearing the crown and robe on all caching expeditions and events. (Scepter is only required for formal portraits.)

This is a yearlong position.  You must be able to attend all caching functions or your crown will be given to the runner-up.  Last year only the SETX Octoberfest King maintained his position all year.  The other monarch missed an event because she had poison ivy.  What a disappointment for rashcow_queen.

#90 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

SETX Octoberfest is less than two weeks away! Please plan ahead.

Day 13:
You should have received your lederhosen by now.  Make sure it fits.  Don’t panic if it doesn’t.  I’m sure you can borrow from one of your friends.

It is better not to show up at all, than to wear lederhosen that doesn’t fit. 
This year, the Official SETX Octoberfest Admitance Executive will not permit  people to enter unless they are properly attired, so don’t think that this year you can sneak in wearing your Batman or Star Wars costumes.
I hope this doesn’t disappoint Batgrafman or ZootHanSolo.

#91 cachecow_queen

cachecow_queen

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationColdspring

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

We need to be serious now.  There will be time to have fun at SETX Octoberfest, but now we must concentrate on preparation.  SETX Octoberfest will be here in only 2 weeks.   Do not expect to show up without preparing in advance.

Day 14:

When filling out your application, make sure to have your transcript handy.  You will need 2 forms of ID, and a passport picture. A 3 minute video of your talent must accompany every application.  Videos will become the property of SETX Octoberfest, will not be returned, and may be used to make fun of you in the future.
Two references are required.  You may use the dictionary or encyclopedia, but not both.
Tax statements from the last two years must be paper-clipped to page 29 of the application.
Essay question answers must be typed, double-spaced, and a minimum of two pages long.  Please answer all four questions.

Some of the duties of the SETX Octoberfest King and Queen include, but are not limited to:
Waving with an open palm 45 degrees at wrist to the right, then 39 degrees at wrist to the left. 
Wearing the crown and robe on all caching expeditions and events. (Scepter is only required for formal portraits.)

This is a yearlong position.  You must be able to attend all caching functions or your crown will be given to the runner-up.  Last year only the SETX Octoberfest King maintained his position all year.  The other monarch missed an event because she had poison ivy.  What a disappointment for rashcow_queen.

:notme:
I heard her cacher's check bounced AND she tried to use both the dictionary AND encyclopedia for  her references anyway! What a SCANDAL!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by buzzards.

#92 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:40 PM

We need to be serious now.  There will be time to have fun at SETX Octoberfest, but now we must concentrate on preparation.  SETX Octoberfest will be here in only 2 weeks.   Do not expect to show up without preparing in advance.

Day 14:

:notme:
I heard her cacher's check bounced AND she tried to use both the dictionary AND encyclopedia for  her references anyway! What a SCANDAL!!!

I know.  Some people just don't follow the rules.

#93 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

The next tip for day 12 is so important that I am going to issue it now, in order to give you more time to complete the task.
It’s a sad fact, but not everyone will make it through SETX Octoberfest unharmed, especially if you haven’t prepared, so here are a few things you must do:

Day 12:
Cancel newspaper subscription.
If you always wanted to try that restaurant, better do it now.
Notify a trusted friend or family member of your route.
Stock up on canned goods.
Watch your favorite movie one last time.
Most importantly, polish your clogs.

#94 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

Day 14:

Darn we missed the deadline.  I forgot to ge on here and read the forums for the reminder. 
Posted Image

#95 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:35 PM

The next tip for day 12 is so important that I am going to issue it now, in order to give you more time to complete the task.
It’s a sad fact, but not everyone will make it through SETX Octoberfest unharmed, especially if you haven’t prepared, so here are a few things you must do:

Day 12:
Cancel newspaper subscription.
If you always wanted to try that restaurant, better do it now.
Notify a trusted friend or family member of your route.
Stock up on canned goods.
Watch your favorite movie one last time.
Most importantly, polish your clogs.

This is sound advice for anyone preparing to do the *Soda Jerk* series.  O0

#96 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:01 AM

There are only 11 days left until SETX Octoberfest.  If you have been following this helpful guide, there is nothing to worry about.
Day 11:
This year, the SETX Octoberfest officials have banned certain items from being brought to the festivities, so if you’ve already loaded your car with theses items, you will have to remove them.  There will be a search.  I know this will be a disappointment to many of you, but here is a list of no-nos:

Absolutely no wire hangers.
Laverne & Shirley memorabilia.
Self-propelled mowers. (Push models are OK.)
Side dishes starting with the letter “I”.
24 oz. or larger bottles of beach sand.
No beverages other than beer.  That means no pina coladas, margaritas, etc. (Sorry BigBlender.)

#97 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:22 AM

Just an update on logistics:

So far we have firm commitments for: Plasticware, Plates, Cups, & Paper towels Condiments – Mustard, Mayo, Ketchup, & Relish Sliced Bread 5# of sliced beef & Hamburger Buns, 5# of Zummo links & Hot Dog Buns, 5# of chipped beef, bottled water, soft drinks, ice, Redcar's potato salad, Chicken's banana pudding, Kande's Southwestern Soup or dessert. Feel free to contribute whatever, if posted on www.setxgang.com, it will help others to decide what to bring.

As Mudfrog posted there is construction going on that makes getting to the park a little confusing: If you're coming in from the west. Just make sure to take the exit 864, the Hwy 1132/1135 exit and stay on the service road all the way. It will make the u turn loop under the Cow Bayou bridge thereby putting you on the westbound service road where Claiborne Park comes up shortly afterwards. For those coming in from the east, Use exit 864 Doty Road / Hwy 1135 exit then make the u turn loop under the next bridge that comes up. You'll then be heading back to the east where you'll stay on the service road until you make the u turn loop under the Cow Bayou bridge.

#98 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

I will bring a nice salad and a bundt cake.

Elisa

#99 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:23 AM

SETX Octoberfest will be here in only ten more days.  Make the most of your time left to prepare.

Day 10:
Avoid any advice or lists.

#100 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Unfortunately, I will have to miss this one. Brandon's deployment date has been moved up to the 10th...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users