48 replies to this topic

#21 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

I got to thinking about this idea of the savings jar.  How would that work?  Would it be every time you get an urge to go buy cigarettes, you put money in the jar or do you have a certain time increment that you are buying them already and you use that as the guage as to when to put money into the jar? 
Posted Image

#22 AggieJWP

AggieJWP

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, Texas

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

I unpurposely judge people who smoke when I see them, I just assume that they have a more drama enriched life.

Is this bad?

#23 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

I got to thinking about this idea of the savings jar.  How would that work?   Would it be every time you get an urge to go buy cigarettes, you put money in the jar or do you have a certain time increment that you are buying them already and you use that as the guage as to when to put money into the jar?   

I used to buy mine by the carton over the internet. Before this past tax increase, I would spend about $80.00 for 3 cartons that would last me about 3 weeks. I have a little ticker thing that keeps up with how many cigs I would have smoked, how much money I am saving as well as how my life is being extended. I am going to put the money the ticker says I have saved into a special savings account every payday. This past payday, I spend my "cig" money on the patch, so I figure that is a wash, anyway....
I plan on taking a fantastic vacay as soon as I hit my 1 year mark. Prolly combine it wil a cruise (see other thread!! LOL)

#24 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

You might want to get a big pickle jar and put the actual money in the jar just to see how much it really is.  Might take a while to count, though, if you don't want to pay Coinstar to do the counting for you.
Good luck.  I gave them up about 20 years ago.  It was just a habit for me though, and $1.50 a pack was too much for me.

Mr. Z

#25 cachecow_queen

cachecow_queen

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationColdspring

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

UPDATE - Egads..... I actually put my makeup on WITHOUT a cig.... I never thought it would happen..

Going pretty good. Went to the store and bought healthy chewy and hard snacks...

Funny you should mention makeup.  Nonsmokers in general are more beautiful.  No not because of the lack of a white puffy cloud hanging about, but because their skin looks different.  :startled:

I was looking at a profile page the other day and came across a couple that I know have been long time smokers.  Each picture looked as if they had a hard leathery/rubber skin.  I'm not sure how to describe it other than "smokers skin." :buck2:  Another case I can think of is a friend of mine who in recent months, quit her 10 year "habit".  Her face has such a prettier complextion now.  Don't know what it is... less clogged pores or something...

Look at it this way... not only will you be saving cig money but makeup money as well!!! 
:teasing:
You can do it.  I believe in you!  :)
It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by buzzards.

#26 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

...and you won't end up sounding like this guy.... uh, er... gal?
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#27 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

...and you won't end up sounding like this guy.... uh, er... gal?

:2funny:

#28 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:27 AM

I am very foggy this morning. Kinda like a drug hangover (anyone have the nyquil hangover??) I have read that this is undersandable, but dang, it's Friday and I have to do payroll!!!

Day three and smoke free!!

#29 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

I am very foggy this morning. Kinda like a drug hangover (anyone have the nyquil hangover??) I have read that this is undersandable, but dang, it's Friday and I have to do payroll!!!

WTG GIRLFRIEND!!!  O0

#30 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

Just add me to payroll you'll feel better   :2funny: :2funny:

And Yippy on day 3...soon it will be day 30  O0 O0
Posted Image

#31 The Wallflowers

The Wallflowers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest u area

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

Way to Go!!! O0 O0 O0

Telling the group was certainly a wise move. I'm sure you'll find lots of support here.  ;) :)

Where's the sign up sheet for middle-of-the-night phone calls?  :D

#32 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

Just add me to payroll you'll feel better   :2funny: :2funny:

And Yippy on day 3...soon it will be day 30  O0 O0

Right now I am just looking for day 4!! Can't get my head around day 30

#33 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

Way to Go!!! O0 O0 O0

Telling the group was certainly a wise move. I'm sure you'll find lots of support here.  ;) :)

Where's the sign up sheet for middle-of-the-night phone calls?  :D

LOL. Actually, according to another site, and true with me, the nights SUCK!!! I don't crave but I can't seem to stay asleep. This too shall pass by the end of the 2nd week.... so vary long from now.... Looking for day 4, looking for day 4, looking for day 4!

#34 gabbytabby

gabbytabby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

LOL. Actually, according to another site, and true with me, the nights SUCK!!! I don't crave but I can't seem to stay asleep. This too shall pass by the end of the 2nd week.... so vary long from now.... Looking for day 4, looking for day 4, looking for day 4!

So glad to hear you've still doing so well!  Have you tried taking an evening walk?  The fresh air might help with sleeping until the problem subsides.  Plus, you live by that awesome park now.  Use it to your advantage!

#35 Cherokeecacher

Cherokeecacher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hang in there girl O0

#36 skyfire97

skyfire97

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCypress

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

Random says "Congratulations for not being on fire for 3 days."

Skyfire says "Way to go!!!!!"

#37 TerraTrekkers

TerraTrekkers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Yeah Diane,  I know you can do it. You have all the support of all you geocaching friends. You know you can call anytime you need to talk.  Keep it up.  ;D
" Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into " Laurel and Hardy

Posted Image

#38 The Wallflowers

The Wallflowers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest u area

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

I'm home and I'm still awake - the teenage daughter has a boyfriend over until the movie ends. Not going to sleep any time soon. :police:

I know we're not close, but I'm just a phone call away. 713-661-2275 ;)

#39 One of the Texas Vikings

One of the Texas Vikings

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationHumble

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

Good Luck, Diane.
  I quit for a year and a half, about 4 years ago. But, then I got some bad news from the Doctor and on the way home, stopped at a Diamond Shamrock...... now, I have decided. I have about 1/2 a pack left and that's it. The secret is not to buy any... I know that sound stupid, but, if you don't have any around, then you won't smoke.
  I am determined this time to quit. I have COPD and I'm coughing a lot, lately. So, because of that and the new price rise, I quit.... period.....
  So we can suffer together......
Oh and BTW.... I have been smoking for 49 years.. and I have quit hundreds of times. But now I need to and want to......Most people on the board don't remember when Doctors used to advertise on TV for Camels and the Flintstones for Winston....My, how times have changed...

Rick

#40 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Good Luck, Diane.
  I quit for a year and a half, about 4 years ago. But, then I got some bad news from the Doctor and on the way home, stopped at a Diamond Shamrock...... now, I have decided. I have about 1/2 a pack left and that's it. The secret is not to buy any... I know that sound stupid, but, if you don't have any around, then you won't smoke.
  I am determined this time to quit. I have COPD and I'm coughing a lot, lately. So, because of that and the new price rise, I quit.... period.....
  So we can suffer together......
Oh and BTW.... I have been smoking for 49 years.. and I have quit hundreds of times. But now I need to and want to......Most people on the board don't remember when Doctors used to advertise on TV for Camels and the Flintstones for Winston....My, how times have changed...

Rick

Good luck Rick. I am quitting with the help of the patch and another forum for quitters. I can go on the other forum and rant and rave and they completely understand and offer words of encouragement.... not that this site won't either, but the other site is dedicated to quitters...

I don't have any cigs in the house but look longingly at the corner stop and shop.. only a 2 minute walk away.... hmmmm.... no. Day 4 and trying to maintain.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users