48 replies to this topic

#1 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

OK, putting this out there so ALL can help me with this. I thought that I would be able to do this on the DL but all research shows that I need a support group. Guess what, you are voluntold.. LOL.

A little about me and smoking.... I have smoked for 32 years, 1-1 1/2 pack per day. I quit both times I was pregnant and promptly took it back up after weaning the kids. I have never tried to quit before because I don't like failure but have finally reached the point where I want to do stuff that will not work as a smoker. (Deb and i are going to do the Houston half marathon next year!!)

So, with that being said. I may rant and rave a bit in the near future. I may even slip (even though I will try hard NOT to). I am going to apologize for my moods now..  O0

What I need from ya'll.....ENCOURAGEMENT and stories of success.

Thanks and wish me luck!!
Diane

#2 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:51 AM

Diane, I wish you luck with this.  Habits are hard to break, but if you want it bad enough, you'll do it, and I'm sure you can.  I'm positive that you'll feel better physically when you do finally break the habit for good. 
Posted Image

#3 gabbytabby

gabbytabby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Interesting that you picked the day the new smoking taxes go into effect.  Mr. GT and I were just talking last night how we expected a lot of people would be quiting today.  I applaud you for making this decision and wish you luck!  O0

#4 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

Interesting that you picked the day the new smoking taxes go into effect.  Mr. GT and I were just talking last night how we expected a lot of people would be quiting today.  I applaud you for making this decision and wish you luck!   O0

That was the final straw. Even though I used to buy my cigs online (from NM) and not as expensive as the Texas Tax, they still went up. I am already planning what to do with the money I have saved in a year!!! woot

#5 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:17 AM

Is this an April Fool's Day joke?  :2funny:

Seriously, I wish you the most success with this endeavor, and you have my full support.  O0
Posted Image

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

I was wondering if it was a 4/1 thing too. 

My friend quit.  Put the money he spent every day in a jar.  Had saved a TON without realizing a 'cost' him anything to acquire the pot of money.  Went on a tremendous vacation with the savings once the habit was kicked.  Watching the savings grow was a huge incentive for him that kept him on the path.

I wish you complete success in this!
Posted Image

#7 The Pieman

The Pieman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationOcean Shores, Wa

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

I have a lot of experience with addictions and smoking is by far the toughest to quit.
A lot of it is because of the tobacco companies make smoking more addictive by adding a lot of chemicals to the cigarettes. If your desire and will to quit is strong you can persevere. I recommend going cold turkey. Patches and gum just feed your addiction by keeping the nicotine in your system. Pupster had a lot of trouble quitting even with my nagging.  :knuppel2: Good luck and kudos!! O0

#8 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

Diane,  I wish you the best on this.  Take a day at a time and think of all that money you will be saving   :)

Hugs
Posted Image

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Best of luck, Diane.  We're here for you!

Ooooo, if we're out caching, and you attempt to light up, can I whop you over the head with my caching stick???  :knuppel2:  :D
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#10 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Have almost made it through the work day..... habits are super hard to get around...  :buck2:

#11 kandrs

kandrs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

Good for you!!  I wish you the best.  You will feel better and enjoy spending that money other places!! 

#12 Mr. KandRS

Mr. KandRS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

I have a lot of personal reasons I'm totally against smoking, so I'm fully behind you on this.  Good luck!

#13 skyfire97

skyfire97

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCypress

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

I was wondering if it was a 4/1 thing too.   

My friend quit.  Put the money he spent every day in a jar.  Had saved a TON without realizing a 'cost' him anything to acquire the pot of money.  Went on a tremendous vacation with the savings once the habit was kicked.  Watching the savings grow was a huge incentive for him that kept him on the path.

I wish you complete success in this!

My mother-in-law was a long time smoker.  In the 10 years I have been her daughter-in-law she has quit 3 times.  The first two times didn't stick because she had some major stresses that caused her to revert.  The third time she got a support group (more than just family) and she started the money saving jar.  She found that her jar was getting her cig money, but also found other things that she wanted as a smoker that she just no longer needed so that money went in the jar as well.  She  just used the money about a month ago to take her and father-in-law on a cruise and is already planning some mini trips she would like to take my kids on.

#14 Cherokeecacher

Cherokeecacher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

Some of the "ol' time cachers" probably remember when I smoked :(. I had attempted many times, a few things coming together at the right time made it possible to finally kick the habit.
  • Michelle is a non-smoker and has breathing problems
  • Michelle and I went on a two week road trip
  • Used the nicotine patch "again"

Knowing I wanted to marry Michelle, I knew I needed to do something about my smoking. The long road trip took me out side of my "normal area" and that with the patch was the recipe for success for me O0

We will keep you in our prayers and know you cab kick this thing. Just remember what else you have beaten since we have known ya.

#15 fendmar

fendmar

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationFort Bend

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Congratulations, Diane!!! We are all rooting for you!

img.aspx?txt=Found+it!!!&uid=1c1e1810-fd thumb_blueprint.jpg 13475.gif

Houston.gif

#16 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

You are going to have to follow someone else around.... who knows, I may be right there with you, sniffing the second hand smoke...  :2funny:

#17 fendmar

fendmar

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationFort Bend

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

You are going to have to follow someone else around.... who knows, I may be right there with you, sniffing the second hand smoke...  :2funny:

There's still Tim!!!  O0 O0 O0

img.aspx?txt=Found+it!!!&uid=1c1e1810-fd thumb_blueprint.jpg 13475.gif

Houston.gif

#18 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

YOU CAN DO IT DIANE!!!!  O0 O0

#19 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

Diane,

When we were out taking pics of burial markers, I was amazed at all the actions and milestones you were doing to improve your health and participate in more outdoor activities.  Today, I am very proud of you and I wish you the very best on the MOST IMPORTANT MILESTONE you will ever accomplish.

Oh and if you light up and HC hits ya over the head with his hiking stick, I will make sure to have my Iron Skilett my great grandma Maria del Fuente Castroe handed down to me, to hit him for you, since you will be knocked, and when you awake, he will be lying there next to ya!!  LOL!! :2funny:

Go Diane, WE are all rooting for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

UPDATE - Egads..... I actually put my makeup on WITHOUT a cig.... I never thought it would happen..

Going pretty good. Went to the store and bought healthy chewy and hard snacks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users