Photo

Is a newbie rant permitted?? - Caches IN Poison Ivy?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 mvh1954

mvh1954

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX - near Katy

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:06 AM

Just wanted to ask politely before I went in to a rant on caches actually apparently PLACED in poison ivy?  Is a rant permitted on this sensitive topic? 

Now before you go off and assume that I'm some sort of a left-wing softie, I want to point out that I grew up on a farm and am completely comfortable with the risks involved in tramping through areas infested with hazards, including animal, plant, and even human!! 

However, why for goodness sakes, would anyone ever deliberately PLACE a cache right in the middle of a bunch of PI?  I can understand PI on the way, PI near, PI adjacent to, etc, but placing the cache right in the MIDDLE of a bunch of PI? That strikes me as a bit 'insensitive' to be polite. 

I look forward to everyone's comments! I've trying to show great restraint on the subject!! :)

Thanks!

#2 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,320 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

Some people just don't know what PI looks like and sometimes PI isn't overly evident when placing a cache during the winter months.

I certainly hope someone wouldn't intentionally place a cache in the middle of a PI patch. If so may a thousand leaves of PI grace their body.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#3 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I am convinced a lot of hiders cant identify poison plants and just figure hiding in "that batch of pretty plants" is a good idea.

#4 mvh1954

mvh1954

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

Yes, I think I agree.  It has to be just not knowing what it looks like.  

I guess I'm just sensitive to the subject since I've evidently lost my immunity to it and now appear to be getting increasingly sensitive to it.  I guess age or too much exposure over time did it!!  

I do agree with your 'curse' below for anyone that intentionally placed a cache in PI!!  

Whew, I feel better already!   :laugh:

Some people just don't know what PI looks like and sometimes PI isn't overly evident when placing a cache during the winter months.

I certainly hope someone wouldn't intentionally place a cache in the middle of a PI patch. If so may a thousand leaves of PI grace their body.

#5 mvh1954

mvh1954

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

Maybe it's the winter time thing where people don't realize all those hairy looking vines around the trees are actually PI??  I think those vines are worse than the live plants in terms of getting their poison on your, if you're not careful. 

I should have done this first, but I just search on 'poison ivy' on this forum and there's TONS of previous posts on the subject, some of which even have excellent links to articles with pix and excellent descriptions of the 'enemy'    O0

#6 gabbytabby

gabbytabby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

I know one of mine is in the middle of a bunch of PI, but it wasn't originally when I placed it.  There was a vine in the tree it was in, but the tree has since been cut down.  It's my understanding the workers left the vine in a pile with the cache in there.  I've been meaning to get there to find a better spot, but haven't been able to yet during a time when I don't have the kiddos with me.  PI doesn't effect me, so I don't know when I've gotten in it and I don't want to inadvertantly transfer the oils to the kiddos.  I've transferred it to Mr. GT too many times and it took us awhile to realize this was what was happening.  We just couldn't figure out how he kept getting PI rashes when he had only gone to work...

#7 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

We both have gone out of our way to purchase a quick reference guide to poison plants....as coincidence has it, both members of OneStepCloser are immune to all poison plants....what are the odds?

And subsequently, we had no idea what they looked like....still have a hard time....although we've certainly made efforts to try and educate ourselves....kinda like snake identification....(although we've never placed a cache next to a snake...)

So, in the case of your rant spirited concerns, perhaps the folks that hid said cache were much like us and had no idea.

Also, consider that perhaps the PI was not there when the hider planted the cache (like in winter) and only now is it evident.  (reading your previous post it seems like you considered that now...)

Now if the hider deliberately set a cache in PI, for whatever reason, then there are a number of other issues going on....but if you think about it....what if they intentionally did so to keep the cache from getting muggled and appropriately rated the cache a 5 terrain because it required special equipment (gloves) to get?

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#8 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

Another thought is if it was an older cache there may have been no PI when it was placed years ago but not there is PI.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

I wasn't sure what it looked like, so I googled it.
Posted Image

#10 mvh1954

mvh1954

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

Here's another link to a website with some pretty good pix:

Poison Ivy Pix Link

Take a look at the vines in the winter pix about 3/4 the way down the page.  I guarantee that this stuff is all over the parks in Houston! 

FYI!!

#11 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,320 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

Posted Image

:D

There is PI and another plant in that picture...
The darker green leaves with the "Thumbs" is PI... I don't know what that other leaf is.

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#12 gabbytabby

gabbytabby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

Here's another link to a website with some pretty good pix:

Poison Ivy Pix Link

Take a look at the vines in the winter pix about 3/4 the way down the page.  I guarantee that this stuff is all over the parks in Houston! 

FYI!!

I'm glad to see that this article mentions the use of Jewel Weed.  I've only seen it once since moving to Texas, but it's a priceless piece of knowledge to carry when caching in other states.  I've seen it used for PI countless times while camping and hiking back home.

#13 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

Posted Image

The darker green leaves with the "Thumbs" is PI... I don't know what that other leaf is.

Well shoot. Darn Google.  Now, I still don't know what it looks like.  :-\

#14 gabbytabby

gabbytabby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

Posted Image

Well shoot. Darn Google.  Now, I still don't know what it looks like.  :-\

Play it safe.  "Leaves of three, leave it be."  Use extra caution if the area of the stem where those three leaves meets has a red hue to it.

#15 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,320 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

The whole upper part of the picture is all PI. The lower half is mixed and questionable.

Help me help you.

#16 The Wallflowers

The Wallflowers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest u area

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

I suggest that you write in the log that the cache is in PI? You might even consider writing a "needs maintenance" log, and explaining why. The owner might not even know, and if he/she gets notified about the need for maintenance, might consider either clearing out the PI, or moving the cache to a PI-free zone.

#17 mvh1954

mvh1954

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

I've almost always put a comment about the cache being in PI, if I find it so.  However, I've never done a 'needs maintenance' posting on the same.  Maybe I'll give that I try!  I don't want to offend anyone if they've gone to all the work of putting out a cache, but I still think a cache in the middle of PI is a bit much. 

As a bonus question:  I have posted a 'needs maintenance' notice on a few caches that were in bad shape, but I've never seen much action or response.  Is this common?  Have I just run into some caches that have been abandoned by owner? 

Thanks!

I suggest that you write in the log that the cache is in PI? You might even consider writing a "needs maintenance" log, and explaining why. The owner might not even know, and if he/she gets notified about the need for maintenance, might consider either clearing out the PI, or moving the cache to a PI-free zone.

#18 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

Avoid the Baytown cache "Poison Ivy" for obvious reasons. I'm very sensitive to PI and watch for it and still got 3 bad cases last year. A steroid dosepak from the doctor knocks out the worst case in four days and greatly improves your baseball and football skills. ::)

#19 gabbytabby

gabbytabby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

Maybe we should all take a bottle of Roundup with us and spray the stuff when we find it. After numerous applications it should die out next to the caches we visit most often.

I think our geotrails are sign enough of our already present vegetative destruction.  Introducing herbicides into the equation would just be over the top.

#20 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

I have been "got" by the furry vines...  I had no idea, and while doing 12 degrees, I got so desperate/frustrated looking for the cache I started to remove the vines from the trees to make sure I wasn't missing something.
I must have cleared a dozen trees of that stuff.

Later that evening, and onto the next several days I had a small reaction, but didn't put the two together.

And while we're on the topic, I'll add this piece of advice I found in a Chemistry Lab:
  "A Good Chemist washes his hands BEFORE and AFTER using the restroom."
If you catch my drift...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users