140 replies to this topic

#1 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, TX

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

With all of the lost TB stories lately, I wanted to throw out a flip side question. What is your best TB resurrection story? You thought your TB was lost and then it shows up again much later. Spill the beans.

I had a TB that Lisa took east a few years ago. She dropped it off in a cache. Afterwords, a few finders of the cache mentioned that they didn't see it in the cache. I thought it was gone for sure. Then over a year later someone retrieves it from the cache and takes it 8000 miles away! It has been fairly happily moving along ever since.

Golden Eagle Medallion TB
Posted Image

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

Had a micro geocoin that made it to HC's BNC CITO in 2008.  It was retreived from the 2008 CITO last month.  YEA!!! :cheers:
Posted Image

#3 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

Our best story concerns someone else's TBs. A friend of a friend was fishing in PA one day and came across a weird tube in a rock on the jettys. He opened it to find a couple of dog tags with toys attached and a pad of paper. He read through the pad and put it back, but figured the toys were collectables and gave them to his kids.

Months later he was telling our friend about it and they knew enough to let him know the score. Months after that he had managed to retrieve the toys from his kids (not as easy a task as it sounds) and passed them on to us. The bugs had been reported as missing by then and when we let the owners know we were putting them back in circulation, they were thrilled.

#4 AggieJWP

AggieJWP

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, Texas

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

Found a cache on time on a roadside cache out in Port Aransas. The TB has been created up in Conn. or so and had been moved down here on one foul swoop. It was placed in a cache in November 2005 in Houston only to go up missing. Another cacher posted a note on the TB and said that he had gotten into caching, grabbed the bug, forgot about it, and didn't pick it back up until April of 2008 again. That's when I found it out in Port A.

TB

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

I've had this Travel Bug on my watchlist ever since I moved it to Europe 4 years ago.  It traveled almost 9000 miles in it's first two moves, then disappeared for FOUR YEARS!  Someone grabbed it yesterday and it looks likes it's back in the game again!  O0
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

I've had this Travel Bug on my watchlist ever since I moved it to Europe 4 years ago.  It traveled almost 9000 miles in it's first two moves, then disappeared for FOUR YEARS!  Someone grabbed it yesterday and it looks likes it's back in the game again!   O0

That is incredible. I just love stories like that.

#7 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

So...after almost 3 years my TB $100 is back on the road....must of taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque
Posted Image

#8 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

It even went where the cacher said it would.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

With all of the lost TB stories lately, I wanted to throw out a flip side question. What is your best TB resurrection story? You thought your TB was lost and then it shows up again much later. Spill the beans.

I had a TB that Lisa took east a few years ago. She dropped it off in a cache. Afterwords, a few finders of the cache mentioned that they didn't see it in the cache. I thought it was gone for sure. Then over a year later someone retrieves it from the cache and takes it 8000 miles away! It has been fairly happily moving along ever since.

I had to look at the logs Gil to see if I was the 'Lisa' in reference! LOL  Glad you didn't get upset, that is AMAZING!!  That cache I left it at is outside the Public library in Andalusia, the cache owner is a librarian there. Wonder why others missed seeing it in the cache? Odd.  Glad it's back in circulation, granted I never knew it had taken missing..my reputation is saved!  :D

#10 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

I've had this Travel Bug on my watchlist ever since I moved it to Europe 4 years ago.  It traveled almost 9000 miles in it's first two moves, then disappeared for FOUR YEARS!  Someone grabbed it yesterday and it looks likes it's back in the game again!   O0

Now that's what I'd call a 'laid back cacher'.  The owner has been caching since 2004 and has a whopping 11 finds and 1 hide.

#11 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

I had to look at the logs Gil to see if I was the 'Lisa' in reference! LOL  Glad you didn't get upset, that is AMAZING!!  That cache I left it at is outside the Public library in Andalusia, the cache owner is a librarian there. Wonder why others missed seeing it in the cache? Odd.  Glad it's back in circulation, granted I never knew it had taken missing..my reputation is saved!  :D

After Lisa mentioned the library in Andalusia, I had to go look if I was one of those who mentioned not seeing it in the cache and if I was just blind.  At least I know I didn't miss the TB as it was retrieved from that cache before I had even heard of geocaching. 
There is no adventure without risk.

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

So...after almost 3 years my TB $100 is back on the road....must of taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque

Well, he put it in the next cache he visited!  :o
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#13 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:51 AM

Today I woke up to a very pleasant surprise.  One of my first TBs Bently Bug went from here,  hopped the pond to Norway, London, and then to Germany.  Hit some really cool caches at really cool locations.  But in Germany it made its way into a 5 stage multi that had one find after it was dropped, some DNFs, and then PR archived it.

A couple weeks ago I posted a note in English, and transliterated online into German, asking "Has anyone checked the final stage to see if the TB can be retreived?"   Someone went and grabbed it and it's back in the game --- almost a year since it was placed.   O0 O0 O0

I don't think there are lots of pics on the TB, but at the actual cache pages there are - it had been to some really interesting and scenic places.  Really hated to think of it truly dying.  Glad it's back!
  • pindroppers74 likes this
Posted Image

#14 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:48 AM

One of my bugs was reported missing from a cache over a year ago in Portland, OR.  I thought it was a goner for sure, but last week someone reported finding it...in a different cache a few blocks away.  I can't figure out how it got somewhere else, but allegedly it is back in play....
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#15 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

One of my bugs was reported missing from a cache over a year ago in Portland, OR.  I thought it was a goner for sure, but last week someone reported finding it...in a different cache a few blocks away.  I can't figure out how it got somewhere else, but allegedly it is back in play....

Someone probably actually put it in the cache down the road and forgot which cache they put it in and guessed and guessed wrong. 
Posted Image

#16 The Hazelnuts

The Hazelnuts

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

In Sept '07. WTT-B2 placed The Hazelnuts' King Boreas 1000th Hide Geocoin in a cache in Port Aransas. A ton of people found the cache after that and no one mentioned the coin, so I marked it as missing. In July '09, almost 2 years later, a cacher named Papa Ray picked it up and placed it in a new cache he's trying to get approved. I find it hard to believe the coin was in that cache this entire time and no one grabbed it before now! I'm just glad it is back.

#17 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

In Sept '07. WTT-B2 placed The Hazelnuts' King Boreas 1000th Hide Geocoin in a cache in Port Aransas. A ton of people found the cache after that and no one mentioned the coin, so I marked it as missing. In July '09, almost 2 years later, a cacher named Papa Ray picked it up and placed it in a new cache he's trying to get approved. I find it hard to believe the coin was in that cache this entire time and no one grabbed it before now! I'm just glad it is back.

Yea it's not like I hid it all that well in the cache container. As I remember I put it in the baggie where the log was !!

Posted Image

#18 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

You have some of the strangest bug stories. Remember the slot machine bug? That was a good one.

#19 The Hazelnuts

The Hazelnuts

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

We released our very first TB in June 2004. We named it Beanie - I think one of the kids selected that name. We were so new to geocaching that we didn't know that we were supposed to attach the dog tags to anything, so CCCooperAgency added a duck to it in 2006. We marked it missing a couple of months ago when the cache where Beanie was residing was destroyed by some muggle. It's back!  Read the story!

#20 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

That is awesome...
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users