47 replies to this topic

#41 Donde Esta

Donde Esta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

Here is another thread on waterproof paper.

Thanks for the thread. I have used the RITR paper in many of my caches with good success. One downside is the paper must be laser printed if you want to print lines or a header on the log sheets. Inkjets won't work. But, any Office store can print them for you on laser. It's a good product.

#42 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

Here is another thread on waterproof paper.

Thanks for the thread. I have used the RITR paper in many of my caches with good success. One downside is the paper must be laser printed if you want to print lines or a header on the log sheets. Inkjets won't work. But, any Office store can print them for you on laser. It's a good product.

I use have thought about using -- the color laser printer at work for RITR paper.  It works great! I bet it would work great!
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#43 LGNE

LGNE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationFulshear,Tx.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I had to recognize HoustonControl for being able to tell my wife "Look!! It's not just me!!!".   She laughed:

HoustonControl:
What's worse is when I'm getting ready to take out the garbage and I tell the wife, "Hey, don't throw that away, it'll make a good cache container".

Well, you know you've reached an even higher level of derangement when you are in the supermarket and you're looking at EVERY container for cache applicability and trying to justify the cost of buying something you don't like/use/have-any-idea-what-it-is just to dump it, or eat it, or use it so you can have the empty container....

Or the time my better half forced me to go to Hobby Lobby with her.  That will never happen again as she finally finished her shopping, came to find  me and said, "I'M LEAVING you can walk"!!!!
Add a 1200 square foot barn that becomes the receptacle for any and every thing possible for a container.  Most recently was "THE LOOK" when I pulled over to the side of the road to pick up a small igloo water cooler that must have fallen off a truck.  Banged up but perfect for a "large".  Oh did I give something away?

Can I have and AMEN on that brothers and sisters!!  :teasing:

#44 Cachin Shark

Cachin Shark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Location77450, Katy Texas

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

I've been trying to find paper that I can use for a cache that might get ALOT of water. I found a paper that it used for coupons and I actually did pretty well in my "water test".  :orelse:

#45 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

I've been trying to find paper that I can use for a cache that might get ALOT of water. I found a paper that it used for coupons and I actually did pretty well in my "water test".  :orelse:

Can  you run Tyvek through a laser printer?  It should be nearly indestructible.

#46 mvh1954

mvh1954

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX - near Katy

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

If you want something almost completely indestructible use the RITR Duracopy paper.  That stuff is completely waterproof and has such high mechanical strength that you cannot tear it by hand.  It can be printed on with a laser printer and most pens work on it also.  The best pens for use on it are the RITR waterproof pens or running a very close second is an ordinary Sharpie marker or pen. 

I've tested this stuff exhaustively for both caching and 'other' professional uses.  It's fantastic stuff.  The downside - cost is .65/sheet. 

For most uses the ordinary RITR paper is sufficient.  It can stand repeated wet/dry cycles and never loses it's mechanical strength, wet or dry.  However, it does absorb water, but quickly dries out.  It has about 2x the mechanical strength of ordinary paper, but maintains it wet or dry and its tensile strength doesn't deteriorate with repeated wet/dry cycles. 

I'll update my earlier post about extended paper testing, hopefully later this evening for everyone's general info. 

Can  you run Tyvek through a laser printer?  It should be nearly indestructible.

#47 Donde Esta

Donde Esta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

Is there a local supplier of RITR paper? I have bought it on eBay.

#48 mvh1954

mvh1954

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX - near Katy

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

I've never found it in Houston.  I ordered mine directly from Rite in the Rain company.  See http://www.riteintherain.com/ for their website.  I ordered both the "All Weather Copier Paper", which is compatible with a laser printer and the DuraCopy paper which si also compatible with a laser printer.  They also have a product called WeatherJet which allows printing by inkjet printers, but that stuff is even more expensive than the DuraCopy product. 

If you need some, as per my earlier offer, I'll send you 2 sheets of the All Weather paper and 2 sheets of Duracopy if you pm or email me with your address.  i can also cut them into 1" or 2' strips prior to sending them if you want as I have a very good paper cutter that makes quick work of said task.

Let me know!

Is there a local supplier of RITR paper? I have bought it on eBay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users