47 replies to this topic

#21 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFt. Bend County

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

The only problem I see with the ammo cans is the fact that people seem to equate them with weaponry (go figure) and so there is a bit of paranoia depending on who sees them and where they are.

Get some water-proof paint and paint them a color other than olive drab. I saw a gold one in Chicago that blended in so well with the foliage that I stumbled around it for half an hour before I looked down and saw it.

#22 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

One thing you gotta remember about moisture is that it will form on the INSIDE of a container, especially in the heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast. That's why it's important to have a good seal. When I first placed SISSY, people reported the inside was wet. It probably was because I had washed the container out but didn't dry it properly and there was moisture inside that mutliplied. But, something happened to the cache and now there's a new container that's more waterproof.

#23 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:18 PM

I recently seen folks putting small disiccant pouches in their caches.  When I saw this the first time, I wondered why I hadn't thought of if before... 

The wierd thing was that it was in San Diego, not really known for their high humity...

Now, I'm on the look out for desiccant pouches for my next caches...

#24 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

I think you might do better with making sure the container has a rubber seal and then to put so light grease on it to make sure it remains flexible.

No amount of desiccant will keep one of your caches dry. :D
Posted Image

#25 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

I would worry about the dissicant getting into the wrong hands....perhaps a childs.  Some parents aren't as watchful as others when kids are trading from a cache, I don't know what I'd do if something happened to one of them for ingesting a poison I put in the cache.  I think the good ole natural way of double bagging and greasing the rubber seal works.  And it's safer..... O0

#26 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, but every little bit helps!

#27 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

I just saw RER's reply....after I sent mine to MTP/SP/Linden.

I just thought it was an interesting method.  It probably doesn't have the capacity to really do a good job in the humid climate, but moisture is always a problem, particularly for some caches (insert plug for my Cypress Island GCT7G1).

I honestly don't know a lot about desiccants and their dangers, but find some in food products (like coffee, er Kawphy, and some de-hyrdated foods)...with warnings to not eat the product, so I suspect some are less dangerous than others.

Anyway, just a thought.  Take it or leave it.

#28 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

I would worry about the dissicant getting into the wrong hands....perhaps a childs.  Some parents aren't as watchful as others when kids are trading from a cache, I don't know what I'd do if something happened to one of them for ingesting a poison I put in the cache.  I think the good ole natural way of double bagging and greasing the rubber seal works.  And it's safer..... O0

I had an adult cacher drive a nail through his foot while looking for a cache I put out (and didn't see any nails.) I felt pretty bad about that. I'd sure hate for someone to ingest some hazardous material I had put in a cache, almost as much as I'd hate for someone to be bit by a snake while looking for one of my caches.

#29 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

I almost got snagged by some barbed wire at one of your caches. :o
Posted Image

#30 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

I almost got snagged by some barbed wire at one of your caches. :o

If it's the one I'm thinking about, all you have to do is get out of your car and walk about 20 feet straight to it. There is barb wire around but all I've seen was attached to fence posts. ;)

#31 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:11 PM

Area hazards are one thing, we all cache in the real world, and only so much can be done to limit that.  For me, something I intentionally place in the cache is on a different level.  The way that placing a cache in the vicinity of an unknown bee hive, is different than hiding one in the cache.  I know one of SP's caches is in a flood zone, and floods many times a year.  It is an ammo box, and still every time I visit it's in great shape, especially considering it is submerged completely during certain times.  There are things we can do to ensure this, and I like his ideas and approach, which I know to work very well.  O0

#32 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:26 AM

I have never seen a rubber seal on an ammo can.  Or are you guys referring to another type of container?  (Or am I that blind?)

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#33 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:29 AM

On the inside of the top of the lid there should be a rubber seal going around.  The container is fairly waterproof even without it, but the seal makes it very doable, even suspended underwater.  Check it out....I always check mine before I buy O0

#34 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

Oh...I bet they are there and when I tell Mrs OSC about it she will probably just tell me I am blind... ;D

..but that is a good tip on the seals! 

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#35 bografan

bografan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Katy

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I had to recognize HoustonControl for being able to tell my wife "Look!! It's not just me!!!".  She laughed:

HoustonControl:
What's worse is when I'm getting ready to take out the garbage and I tell the wife, "Hey, don't throw that away, it'll make a good cache container".

#36 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:18 AM

HoustonControl:
What's worse is when I'm getting ready to take out the garbage and I tell the wife, "Hey, don't throw that away, it'll make a good cache container".
He's such a gentleman!  At least he didn't say 'she's'. ;)

#37 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:06 AM

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I had to recognize HoustonControl for being able to tell my wife "Look!! It's not just me!!!".   She laughed:

HoustonControl:

Well, you know you've reached an even higher level of derangement when you are in the supermarket and you're looking at EVERY container for cache applicability and trying to justify the cost of buying something you don't like/use/have-any-idea-what-it-is just to dump it, or eat it, or use it so you can have the empty container....

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#38 TeamThung

TeamThung

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationWhere Ever The GPSr or Lifesized TB Takes Us

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

I changed a container of ours a few weeks back and as I pulled it out of the cabinets I was thing man this is nice. :)

I'm in garage and I'm sanding it to apply hot glue and camo and Mrs.TT comes up behind me and sees what I am doing..... :knuppel2:

Needless to say, it wasn't bought yesterday for that purpose.... :D

#39 Donde Esta

Donde Esta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Another way to keep logs serviceable even when wet is to use water proof paper. I have used a paper product I bought from an online auction company that seems to hold up well. I don't know if we are allowed to use product names on this forum, but the info I have given should be enough to make a successful search.

#40 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

Here is another thread on waterproof paper.
Waterproof Paper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users