47 replies to this topic

#1 bobisculous

bobisculous

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

I just got reports that one of my caches has a wet log. While that is no problem to replace, what is the best thing I can do to make sure that water does not get inside of it in the first place? Its very water tight, or so it seemed. A good rubber gasket around the entire opening with a good tight clamp mechinism. Perhaps some clear silicone around the edge to make it a little tighter and to keep water out better. I used a ziplock inisde of it too, still didnt work for whatever reason though.

-Cameron

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

What kind of container was it?  From your description, it sounds like a lock-n-lock.  Whatever the container, if it has an O-ring type seal that's in good condition, silicone or any other substance applied to the seal will probably make it worse.  My guess is someone who found the cache didn't refasten the lid properly.

When it comes to ziploc baggies, I try to always use the heavier-duty freezer-type bags with the Easy Zipper slide doohickey. That kind of makes it idiot-proof as far as getting it sealed back properly.  And make sure the cache container opening is big enough to easily get the log book (and baggie) in and out of without binding or tearing.  I found a new cache a couple of days ago that was in a large plastic pickle jar with a somewhat sharp edge around the rim.  The log book was in a typical sandwich ziploc and would barely fit through the opening of the pickle jar.  As I wedged it out of the jar, the baggie tore along the edges against the sharp rim.  I'm not really sure how well their pickle jar will keep out the moisture, but after one finder the logbook is no longer protected should water get in the cache.

Just my .02 O0
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:07 PM

I've also seen a lot of baggies that get ripped and torn from people trying to get the logs out.    :'(    This is especially true of the really tiny ones. 
Posted Image

#4 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationJust Off Bellaire Chinatown

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:22 PM

Haven't been caching that long, but I am firmly convinced in that short time that water always has the upper hand.  Have seem some great designs just soaked, some poor designs just lucky.   Mother nature seems to  just abhor  >:( dry paper in the wild....Maybe it is supposed to be tame and kept only at the office, not at a cache.
Seems that a great resealable baggie that is tough enough to drag over sharp edges and still fold up and seal/unseal, fits into small places, and can be carried by the dozen is a business opportunity waiting for both geocachers and the rest of the world.

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:39 PM

I can honestly say I've never found water in an ammo can.  Talk about idiot proof!

#6 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:13 AM

The Muddy Buddies' Scout Fair 2003 was a good testiment to ammocans. That area was constantly under water.

Unfortunately I have seen water in an ammocan.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#7 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:38 AM

Agree that Ammo Cans are pretty great in keeping mostly dry.  Biggest problem with them seems to be condensation  :'(  here around Houston where it is always so humid.  The paper when unprotected by sealed baggies tends to absorb it right out of the air. 

#8 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:20 AM

I have found many an ammo can completely submerged, and after freeing it and bringing it up, discovered the contents completely dry....not to say there aren't some who fail.  I think overall though, an ammo can is your best shot at a low maintenance cache. O0

#9 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:00 AM

Like any other container, the key is the seal.  I won;t buy a container that does not have a seal.  Seal do dry out.  For the money you can't beat an ammo can.
Posted Image

#10 kandrs

kandrs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:31 PM

The only problem I see with the ammo cans is the fact that people seem to equate them with weaponry (go figure) and so there is a bit of paranoia depending on who sees them and where they are.

#11 The Full House 5

The Full House 5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:39 PM

In addition to a good seal, placing a cache so it won't ever be submerged nor be directly rained upon seems to go a long ways toward keeping it dry on the inside.  :P

#12 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:11 PM

I am always amazed how easiliy water gets into a container. 
Posted Image

#13 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

GrangerFam had a wonderful container inside the archived "Falling for You" cache that I know would keep a small to medium size logbook dry.  Size was about 6"x2"x4" and made of clear plastic.  If he sees this post, maybe he will share  :angel: where he obtained it.

#14 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hey there.

I got it from Academy (off 59 in First Colony).  I've placed the log in a baggie, which is inside the clear plastic thingy, which is inside of an ammo can.  And if you've found "cypress island" (formerly "falling for you"), then you'll know why I went "3 deep" on moisture protection. 
Slightly off topic...

Over the short time I've been caching, I've found that I look at stores in a whole new way.  I say...hey, that would be a cool container.

Same thing when driving around...Hey, that would be a cool spot for a cache.

I think it's all part of the sickness.... :-\

#15 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

The Muddy Buddies' Scout Fair 2003 was a good testiment to ammocans. That area was constantly under water.

Unfortunately I have seen water in an ammocan.

The ammo can may have stayed dry on the inside, but it definitely floated away in one of the floods. 
Posted Image

#16 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

I agree that those are symptoms of the Geocaching sickness that we all have. I look through stores in the same way.  O0
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

Over the short time I've been caching, I've found that I look at stores in a whole new way.  I say...hey, that would be a cool container.

Same thing when driving around...Hey, that would be a cool spot for a cache.

I think it's all part of the sickness.... :-\

From your first find, you get infected with the cache-a-cocci virus.  They continue multiplying and becomea unified voice inside your head.  In addition to those parasites, the ftf-enza bug gets just under the skin.  Combine those two with the hide-a-cache syndrome and you're a goner.  There is no known cure!
Posted Image

#18 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:21 PM

What's worse is when I'm getting ready to take out the garbage and I tell the wife, "Hey, don't throw that away, it'll make a good cache container". :D

#19 bobisculous

bobisculous

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:35 PM

Speaking of not throwing something away as "Hey, that'd make a good cache container!" You will have to see what I am putting together right now. Plus their are a few more peices where this particular container came from(all being very similiar items), so I may make a series out of it in due time. No hints though :D You will just have to go find it.

-Cameron

#20 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFt. Bend County

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

I can honestly say I've never found water in an ammo can.  Talk about idiot proof!

That's because they're designed to be used out in the rain! There is probably no worse condition in the world than those faced by infantrymen in the field. Military containers are probably the most water-proof, them and containers designed for outdoor use (which can be pretty pricey.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users