• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

Any idea where to start with this one  from SA?

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

I'll take a look, as soon as I finish this one???
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:05 PM

I'll take a look, as soon as I finish this one???

Great! Once I earn my smiley on this one I can help you out there.
O0

Seriously, it looks like an awesome puzzle.

#4 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

It sounds like cachers are using the rainy day to solve puzzles for roadtrips.  I know Kirbydox is at home solving caches for her roadtrips. 
Posted Image

#5 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:54 PM

It sounds like cachers are using the rainy day to solve puzzles for roadtrips.  I know Kirbydox is at home solving caches for her roadtrips. 

Yes, I am the eternal optimist and firmly believe Mr. Kirbydox will want to stop and hunt for the 12 puzzles I have solved so far.  ::) ::)

And yet, I want to solve more. I need help from someone who knows French. I am foreign language deficient and need someone to look at my answers and tell me where I goofed. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller??

#6 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

And yet, I want to solve more. I need help from someone who knows French. I am foreign language deficient and need someone to look at my answers and tell me where I goofed. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller??

Google Translate knows some pretty good french words.
Posted Image

#7 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

Umm, yeah, that's what I used. The puzzle is this one: Parlez-vous anglais?
and I'm not sure I have the right term in French for some of the pictures.

#8 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

Umm, yeah, that's what I used. The puzzle is this one: Parlez-vous anglais?
and I'm not sure I have the right term in French for some of the pictures.

4 out of 5 of those pictures look yummy.
Posted Image

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

PM sent.

Speaking of Francais, I got this email today from a cacher that moved one of my geocoins.

"j'ai oublié de noter le tracking number avant de le déposer dans une cache est il possible d eme ledonner pour que je répare cet oubli?"

I ran it through a translation site and determined that he (she?) moved the coin, but forgot to write down the tracking number and wanted to know if I would send it to him/her, so the error could be fixed.

#10 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:13 AM

PM sent.

Speaking of Francais, I got this email today from a cacher that moved one of my geocoins.

"j'ai oublié de noter le tracking number avant de le déposer dans une cache est il possible d eme ledonner pour que je répare cet oubli?"

I ran it through a translation site and determined that he (she?) moved the coin, but forgot to write down the tracking number and wanted to know if I would send it to him/her, so the error could be fixed.

It's a good thing that you could figure out it was French.
Posted Image

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:37 AM

That was the easy part.  Translating the translation was tougher.  When I ran the phrase through the translator, it came back:

I have forgetfulness about enter him tracking number before about him depose in a hiding-place am he likely d eme ledonner so that I atone for this forgetfulness?

Plus, I had to figure out which coin he was talking about!

#12 Raven

Raven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:11 AM

That was the easy part.  Translating the translation was tougher.  When I ran the phrase through the translator, it came back:

I have forgetfulness about enter him tracking number before about him depose in a hiding-place am he likely d eme ledonner so that I atone for this forgetfulness?

For what it's worth, it would've helped if he had SPACED his words correctly... It's not completely the translator's fault, it's just GIGO:

BAD: "j'ai oublié de noter le tracking number avant de le déposer dans une cache est il possible d eme ledonner pour que je répare cet oubli?"

BETTER: "j'ai oublié de noter le tracking number avant de le déposer dans une cache est il possible de me le donner pour que je répare cet oubli?"

No words were changed, just some minor spacing corrections.  Google Translator would've answered:

"I forgot to record the tracking number before being deposited in a cache is it possible to give me so that I repair this omission?"

Not perfect, plus close enough....  ::)

- "I'm not French but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night"

#13 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:12 AM

For what it's worth, it would've helped if he had SPACED his words correctly... It's not completely the translator's fault, it's just GIGO:

BAD: "j'ai oublié de noter le tracking number avant de le déposer dans une cache est il possible d eme ledonner pour que je répare cet oubli?"

BETTER: "j'ai oublié de noter le tracking number avant de le déposer dans une cache est il possible de me le donner pour que je répare cet oubli?"

No words were changed, just some minor spacing corrections.  Google Translator would've answered:

"I forgot to record the tracking number before being deposited in a cache is it possible to give me so that I repair this omission?"

Not perfect, plus close enough....  ::)

Vous êtes hors montrant!  :D

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#14 Raven

Raven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

Not perfect, but close enough....  ::)

Vous êtes hors montrant!  :D

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:  It made no sense at all, I felt like Lost In Translation all over again.  A good one!!!  O0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users