#21 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,944 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

I suspect a part of the malaise, at least for me, is the expectation that a lot of caches will have gone missing. I loaded up a PQ for Baytown this morning thinking to go out and hit my 500 milestone, but the ones I had in mind, along Goose Creek are gone I suspect, and I just can't get excited about being eaten by mossies for a string of DNFs and bad news for the owner.  :orelse:

I'm with you on that one.  I really can't see going out caching until I have a chance to check on all of mine -- or at least a good portion of them.  I may take a trip to The Pastor's country or back to central Texas in October for some Ike-free caching.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#22 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

Ah... The joys of maintaining a very small list of active caches... :D ;)

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#23 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

Well I did cache with Darvale and Kirbydox on Wed. before the UFO event.  I did 5 caches with them, two of them being mine, so I maintained and cached!! LOL!!

I know it is hard to get in the mood to cache.  I was relaxing in my home today and the power turned off for about 4 hours.  I thought, oh, Lord, not again!

I will send everyone some "geocaching anti depressants" so everyone can get in the mood - LOL.  :2funny:  Small print: The above statement does not reflect that I sell or take geocaching anti-depressants, it is a general statement.  I am just kidding.  I can not be held liable for fellow geocachers accidenltly taken supposed "geocaching anti-depressants"

#24 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

Well I did cache with Darvale and Kirbydox on Wed. before the UFO event.  I did 5 caches with them, two of them being mine, so I maintained and cached!! LOL!!

I know it is hard to get in the mood to cache.  I was relaxing in my home today and the power turned off for about 4 hours.  I thought, oh, Lord, not again!

I will send everyone some "geocaching anti depressants" so everyone can get in the mood - LOL.  :2funny:  Small print: The above statement does not reflect that I sell or take geocaching anti-depressants, it is a general statement.  I am just kidding.  I can not be held liable for fellow geocachers accidenltly taken supposed "geocaching anti-depressants"

It's not hard to get in the mood at all...AHEM...it's hard to know where to go where the caches are still there..................  :police:

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#25 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

It's not hard to get in the mood at all...AHEM...it's hard to know where to go where the caches are still there..................  :police:

:2funny: :2funny:

#26 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

We haven't tried many caches in Houston, but we did take advantage of the good weather and time off from school to make a short camping trip to Lockhart State Park a few days after the storm and turn our house and bedrooms over to friends and family who needed them.  Did some caches in San Marcos and Lockhart.  We came home for the weekend because no campsites or motels to be had in the area. We found out school was still going to be out another week so we made an overnight trip to Rockport/Port Aransas.  We took the tent, but no way we were going to be able to camp because of the mossies....worse than here as far as I can tell.  Lots of post-Ike debris had washed up at the Port Aransas jetty.  We did pull one of our ammo boxes in Seabrook out from under a tree so it wouldn't get thrown out with the downed limbs.  We also disabled a few caches that we know for sure are gone.  Brian is in Penn. right now and we will finish checking our caches when he returns in a few days.  We found three quick caches up by Bush Intercontinental Airport on Wed. before his flight...they were in good shape.

#27 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

We hit both the Woodlands (Saturday) and Katy (Sunday) and aside from ferocious mossies (Woodlands) and tons of ticks (Katy) we found 37 (total for the weekend) and about 4 DNFs.

The Woodlands was hit hard by Ike.  We saw a lot of trees that were cut up or still leaning. 

Katy doesn't look too bad outside of the "normal" damage we've seen - fences down and signs blown out.  Some tree damage.  Thankfully the mossies weren't as bad as in the Woodlands - they were swarming worse than we've ever seen while caching.  Sunday we bathed in DEET so maybe that helped but even then there wasn't a lot of them out west.  Now ticks, that's another story.  The stuff we got is supposed to repel them...uh-huh. 

A highlight of this weekend was finally meeting GrangerFam on the trail.  We enjoyed the meeting!  O0

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#28 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

From the reports that we are getting back from finds on our caches, it appears that most of the caches are in good shape, but the mossies are the problem.  I certainly don't want to end up with West Nile. 
Posted Image

#29 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

From the reports that we are getting back from finds on our caches, it appears that most of the caches are in good shape, but the mossies are the problem.  I certainly don't want to end up with West Nile. 

Or anything else like Lyme Disease......the ticks are really bad, too.  Two of the three that attached to Mr. OSC are not acting like the ususal tick bites...there was nothing left behind by the critter, either.  But we're monitoring them.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#30 sonoraqb2006

sonoraqb2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

I'm hoping to head toward The Pastor's series sometime this fall as well, I just have to find a free weekend... :(

I suspect a part of the malaise, at least for me, is the expectation that a lot of caches will have gone missing. I loaded up a PQ for Baytown this morning thinking to go out and hit my 500 milestone, but the ones I had in mind, along Goose Creek are gone I suspect, and I just can't get excited about being eaten by mossies for a string of DNFs and bad news for the owner.  :orelse:

I'm with you on that one.  I really can't see going out caching until I have a chance to check on all of mine -- or at least a good portion of them.  I may take a trip to The Pastor's country or back to central Texas in October for some Ike-free caching.

#31 The Full House 5

The Full House 5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

I tried a couple caches yesterday afternoon: Got within 30' of GZ as my feet reach the water's edge (BTW Addicks Reservoir is very full) and the other was an evil NSP cache in Bear Creek Park that my DNF had nothing to do with Ike...  ::)

#32 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

I certainly don't want to end up with West Nile. 

I'll drink to that!  :cheers:

#33 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

We have done "Epic Fish" and "Danger Island" :buck2: in the last couple of days.  We were pretty much out of town until Sunday morning.  We have managed to check 6 of our caches and hope to get the last few in another day or two.  We had some front door damage and have been staying home trying to get it fixed.  Home maintenance help is hard to come by right now :'(  We got someone today so we should be back in the caching business. :)

#34 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Or anything else like Lyme Disease......the ticks are really bad, too.  Two of the three that attached to Mr. OSC are not acting like the ususal tick bites...there was nothing left behind by the critter, either.  But we're monitoring them.

Mr. OSC is a tick magnet anyway.  He could be walking on cement and ticks would search him out!!  :2funny:

#35 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

Home maintenance help is hard to come by right now :'(  We got someone today so we should be back in the caching business. :)

I'm a house painter when I'm not delivering pizza, but I can also do quite a few construction/handy-man type repairs. If you need a new roof, I can't help you, but minor fixups are right up my alley. Ike left me out of delivery work for about three weeks, so I could use all the side work I can get. If you (or anyone you know) need a hand with something, please feel free to drop me a note. If I can't do it, I know others who probably can help.

David
freysman

#36 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:08 AM

Mr. OSC is a tick magnet anyway.  He could be walking on cement and ticks would search him out!!  :2funny:

Sad, but true.  :D

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users