35 replies to this topic

#1 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

Just post if you have started caching.  There are a few puzzles I want to do but I am thinking about waiting for a few more days.  Plus the mossies out there are pretty scarry, I think hurricane Ike blew them in from Baytown!!  They are as big as butterflies.  :o  One got me and I almost fainted!!  :'( :blackeye:

#2 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

Just post if you have started caching.  There are a few puzzles I want to do but I am thinking about waiting for a few more days.  Plus the mossies out there are pretty scarry, I think hurricane Ike blew them in from Baytown!!  They are as big as butterflies.  :o  One got me and I almost fainted!!  :'( :blackeye:

Your funny! :2funny:

I haven't started caching in Houston, but I took a drive down I-10 and got a few caches today. It felt good to "get back to normal".

#3 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:57 PM

I haven't started again.  I guess I'm just being pessimistic that I'll get a whole bunch of DNF's.  TeamThung went with one of his neighbors to show them caching and 3 out of 4 were missing.  (One of them was ours.)
:'(

#4 gabbytabby

gabbytabby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

I tried to tonight, but the first one I went for should have been in the nook between some big solid branches of a tree and a few of the branches had been ripped right off.  Then on the next one I couldn't even make it to GZ before the mossies chased me back to the car.

I was happy, though, that someone logged a find today on one of my caches that I really didn't think would have made it through the storm.  I was actually planning on checking on it tonight, but now I guess I don't have to.

#5 The Full House 5

The Full House 5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:23 AM

I may actually get out and check on a few of our northernmost caches Sunday afternoon...  ???

#6 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

We've checked a few of ours already, and will try some of the rest today.
Some of them may be there, but if they clear debris, they may go along with other stuff.

Looking for caches we haven't found in Houston hasn't started yet, though (If you don't count trying to be FTF on Take a Hike, Ike - which Freysman beat us to).

We did do some in the San Marcos area, and are planning a Rockport trip tomorrow, since school's out.

#7 AggieJWP

AggieJWP

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, Texas

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:57 PM

I need to check on mine around here. Alot of them were not securely fastened.

#8 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:06 PM

Went out yesterday and got 8 of 10.  1 looked to be a victim as the tree at GZ was a mess.  The other DNF was found by someone after the storm, so it looks like one was just me.

I also checked on the Pump It Up series.  4 were missing and 3 were found on the ground near GZ.  I replaced all of the missing containers.  I had just finished a maintenance run the weekend prior to Ike where I replaced several containers and many logs which were full, so I did it all again this weekend.  It was a good bike ride, so I enjoyed it both times.

Just a side note. The PIU series turned 1 year old on 9/16. 

Total Finds:1885
Total DNF: 33
Most Often Found: #6(93 finds) / #1 (92 finds) - odd that #6 had more finds than #1
Most DNFs: #17 (11 DNFs) / #5 (10 DNFs)

#9 jimjoandcourt

jimjoandcourt

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

Checked all but one of our caches today and I couldn't believe they were all fine.  Only one we didn't get to check was our puzzle cache (MagCreek#6) and that was because I forgot to load the coordinates and the woods looked so different after the storm that I wasn't exactly sure where it was!  Wife got a good kick out of that. :)

#10 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

I found 10 out of 12 in Friendswood this afternoon.

#11 TeamThung

TeamThung

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationWhere Ever The GPSr or Lifesized TB Takes Us

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

I'm headed out to Mont Belvieu tomorrow morning.

We'll see how that run works out.

#12 The Full House 5

The Full House 5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

I resumed our post-Ike cache maintenance run today. So far 8 of 31 have been checked with little or no damage found.  O0

#13 The G-Team

The G-Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNW Houston

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

Mosquito Control will start back their spraying program tonight (actually probably already started).  If you see them coming down the street, please go inside, otherwise they have to turn off the sprayer until they pass you which of course makes it inefficient.

#14 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:23 AM

Mosquito Control will start back their spraying program tonight (actually probably already started).   If you see them coming down the street, please go inside, otherwise they have to turn off the sprayer until they pass you which of course makes it inefficient.

What are they spraying that they are compelled to do that? I've never lived anywhere where they quit spraying because people are out.  I've also never lived anywhere they were as bad as here-so maybe that is an indicator they need to do something different (I grew up on the coast, just not in TX).

#15 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:49 AM

I tried a new cache in Clear Lake yesterday and the mossies were small, nasty and plentiful.
Couldn't get into the hunt though - two houses missing fences looked out onto GZ and the people were working moving debris in their back yard. I walked away. Seemed like there had to be something more important I should be doing.

#16 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

Couldn't get into the hunt though - two houses missing fences looked out onto GZ and the people were working moving debris in their back yard. I walked away. Seemed like there had to be something more important I should be doing.

I know the feeling.

#17 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:50 AM

I tried a new cache in Clear Lake yesterday and the mossies were small, nasty and plentiful.

I agree. I just can't get in the mood to cache.

#18 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

I agree. I just can't get in the mood to cache.

Yeah, me too.  I just can't seem to get excited about it.  Before the storm, I was planning a birthday caching trip that was going to end at the Sept Birthday event and get to the 1200 milestone.  But now I have absolutely no interest in caching.
I am hoping going to the event tonight will get me psyched up again.

come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#19 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:32 AM

I suspect a part of the malaise, at least for me, is the expectation that a lot of caches will have gone missing. I loaded up a PQ for Baytown this morning thinking to go out and hit my 500 milestone, but the ones I had in mind, along Goose Creek are gone I suspect, and I just can't get excited about being eaten by mossies for a string of DNFs and bad news for the owner.  :orelse:

#20 TeamThung

TeamThung

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationWhere Ever The GPSr or Lifesized TB Takes Us

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

Enroute to Mont Belvieu this morning I had planned on grabbing a few caches off of 146, but the traffic was insane.

I only made it to BW8 and W. Lake Houston Parkway before my serpentine belt shredded, blew a lower radiator hose and I think the power steering pump is toast.

Maybe tomorrow. ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users