#22 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:25 AM

David,
Did they confirm that it is indeed West Nile Virus?  Regardless of what it is, hope you are feeling better soon!
Zephyr

#23 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

Yeah, its a 'mild' case of West Nile. If this is mild I'd hate to experience a 'serious' case. I was told about a man up in Houston who spent a year in the hospital on a ventilator due to severe muscular degeneration brought on by the virus, but he was over 80 years old at the time. My doc expects me to be as good as new by the weekend. I'm already feeling better than yesterday with just the lingering head/spine ache. The fever broke sometime yesterday morning, which solved the whole shivery/achy joint flu-like symptoms. Definitely not enough to keep me from some low impact caching, but I don't think I could handle a half-mile walk just yet. I'll stick to park and grabs for a few more days. Su Doku Shells just about sapped my strength yesterday afternoon. My 69 year old mom was more than able to keep up with me on that one, which I think was just under 3/10's of a mile round trip from where we parked.

#24 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

It's good to hear you are on the mend.  It sure is nice of your mom to help out during your recuperation.  :)

#25 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

It's good to hear you are on the mend.  It sure is nice of your mom to help out during your recuperation.   :)

I printed out a stack of Sudoku-like puzzles for to work on while we sat in the waiting room. She actually likes those. After that she decided she needed to see what she'd been working for. :)

#26 TeamThung

TeamThung

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationWhere Ever The GPSr or Lifesized TB Takes Us

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

It's good to hear you are on the mend.  It sure is nice of your mom to help out during your recuperation.   :)

I printed out a stack of Sudoku-like puzzles for to work on while we sat in the waiting room. She actually likes those. After that she decided she needed to see what she'd been working for. :)

Mom's are the best! :smitten:

#27 jimjoandcourt

jimjoandcourt

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:51 AM

Glad it was a mild case and that you're feeling better.

#28 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:08 AM

That is too cool David!  O0

#29 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

I'm happy to report that I'm feeling much better. Still not 100%, but my condition improves a little every day. The cold-shivery achy-joint flu feeling and fever are past. I still have a bit of a lingering head/spine ache, but a cocktail of Ibuprofen and Tylenol are keeping that within tolerable limits. The doc estimates that I should be as good as new by Saturday, just in time to enjoy the storm. I even managed to complete zzzwoot's Numbers Make Sense? multi right when the sun was setting, but all the walking just about wore me out. I sure hope Lefty is right about immunity in the future. I'd hate to go through this again.

#30 TeamThung

TeamThung

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationWhere Ever The GPSr or Lifesized TB Takes Us

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:57 PM

Excellent to know you are feeling better. O0 O0 O0

#31 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Excellent to know you are feeling better. O0 O0 O0

Not well enough for a surfing lesson just yet!  :2funny:

#32 Lefty Writer

Lefty Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:48 PM

<snip> I sure hope Lefty is right about immunity in the future. I'd hate to go through this again.

You should have a good immunity built up, or what is known as a "high neutralizing antibody titer."  If you'd like, in about 30 days we can draw a small bit of your blood and I can test it in the lab against one of our strains of WNV.  Depending on what your titer is, your "convalescent sera" could prove valuable in the future.
carpe cerevisi

#33 freysman

freysman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationKemah

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:55 PM

You should have a good immunity built up, or what is known as a "high neutralizing antibody titer."  If you'd like, in about 30 days we can draw a small bit of your blood and I can test it in the lab against one of our strains of WNV.  Depending on what your titer is, your "convalescent sera" could prove valuable in the future.

Hey, if you can turn me into a vaccine so that others can avoid this nasty little virus I'll be happy to donate a sample. The mossies shouldn't have a monopoly on my blood.  O0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users