704 replies to this topic

#701 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

I was checking out some details of the new section of the fort bend toll road when I spotted this.  Pretty cool image.  I know what it is, but i don't know why it would have the color shift... I'm assuming it's pretty high up.  I'm guessing that might explain the color shift due to the CCD of the camera that was focused way lower, but I don't know enough about that tech to be sure. 

https://maps.google....002064&t=h&z=17

Anyone here able to give an explanation? 

In any case, this is hands down the coolest thing I have discovered on my own in google maps.

• Team_J likes this
Posted Image

#702 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

I definitely deserves a cache.  Say, a puzzle based on the heading of the airplane.

Edited by Great Birds, 05 June 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#703 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

I was checking out some details of the new section of the fort bend toll road when I spotted this. Pretty cool image. I know what it is, but i don't know why it would have the color shift... I'm assuming it's pretty high up. I'm guessing that might explain the color shift due to the CCD of the camera that was focused way lower, but I don't know enough about that tech to be sure.

https://maps.google....002064&t=h&z=17

Anyone here able to give an explanation?

In any case, this is hands down the coolest thing I have discovered on my own in google maps.

Very cool.

Explanation depends on the camera tech used.
In one scenario a grayscale cam shoots through 4 filters, red, green, blue, & luminance, then software composites each image. The interpolation makes several assumptions about various object velocities to correct for most anomalies.

In another scenario a 3CCD camera sensor is used but the software syncing the 3 colors is unable to overlay each correctly because shutter speed used to click "earth" in focus but capture sufficient light was too slow to prevent ghosting when each CCD output is composited for storage.

Googles highest quality images are actually shot via high flying aircraft. I wonder if they exhibit similar ghosting effects? I bet not since they the can use better (read heavier) faster cameras and optics since weight is much less of a restriction.

You may be asking yourself why an AdMan knows this? Turns out I was paying attention in one of those cust tech briefings. They do multi-spectrum aerial inspection. :)

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#704 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

KR, you continue amaze and astound.

Thanks for the camera detail.  I couldn't distinguish a difference at different zoom levels.

I use google earth's history feature to determine that these pictures are dated 10/27/2012.

Posted Image

#705 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Nope... I'm pretty sure it was...

tumblr_levnvsbEJm1qe5gse.gif

• Team_J likes this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users