Photo

I'm on a quest any body wanna help me...

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#81 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:01 AM

Actually I had not solved the puzzle until the end.  I figured why agonize over it.  I actually thoght about waited to see if I could get a certain number like 100.  But once I solved it I said why wait.  I enjoyed the much shorter game.  I have already signed up on the newsletter that way I can give Pepper a run for her money O0

Uh oh, Pepper!  You're turning mtp into a monster.  We're going to have to call in the people with the white coats. 
Posted Image

#82 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:00 AM

Actually I had not solved the puzzle until the end.  I figured why agonize over it.  I actually thoght about waited to see if I could get a certain number like 100.  But once I solved it I said why wait.  I enjoyed the much shorter game.  I have already signed up on the newsletter that way I can give Pepper a run for her money O0

Uh oh, Pepper!  You're turning mtp into a monster.   We're going to have to call in the people with the white coats.   

You guys can out cache me anyday.  Except for some difficult requirements this game puts everyone on essentially a level playing field.
Posted Image

#83 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:06 AM

There is a PUZZLE after the game :-[ :-[ :-X :-\ :'(???

#84 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:56 AM

I see that my FOUR TOWER CACHE was accepted to meet the requirements of a CAVE/MINE/HOLE in the ground.  How about that?

DREW8 asked the COINQUEST pirates about that cache and they accepted it as a  "hidey hole to stash their loot".  Read his comments on his log for COINQUEST.

How about that?  This opens up a lot of places that could be used to meet that requirement.  The Salt mine out near Hockley,  the underground salt caverns near Mt Belview that in the crude oil reserve system, the downtown tunnels and no telling what else.

Too late now for most of you

#85 Team_J

Team_J

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationFarmington, NY

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:23 PM

I didn't find the secret message cute at first, but it is growing on me. :angel:

Don't you love it when a scam artist gets busted? :police:

Thanks for the help with the cipher.  I've now got the part that I have uncovered deciphered, and I can guess on the rest.   The message is cute.   

#86 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

I didn't find the secret message cute at first, but it is growing on me. :angel:

Don't you love it when a scam artist gets busted? :police:

Thanks for the help with the cipher.  I've now got the part that I have uncovered deciphered, and I can guess on the rest.   The message is cute.   

I think when we wrote this, we weren't really deciphering the real part.  We were deciphering the jokes. 
Posted Image

#87 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:22 PM

I'm trying to log my cache for the night on the Coin Quest site, and the server is busy!  ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!  I hope this doesn't reset my log time to 3 am or something. :-X
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#88 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:25 PM

[MOVE]COIN QUEST IS BACK UP AND RUNNING![/move]
Posted Image

#89 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:31 AM

Well, I was almost right.  It reset my log in time to 7:15 am, because that was what time I got up and logged my cache.  I got tired of waiting on the server last night and went to bed. >:(

So, am I to understand the pigpen cipher pun on the edges of the map have nothing to do with solving the puzzle?

#90 Team_J

Team_J

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationFarmington, NY

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

[MOVE]COIN QUEST IS BACK UP AND RUNNING![/move]

It does not seem to be working to me >:(

#91 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

DadJ, not working for me either.  At the moment, I'm 4 or 5 places in front of you

#92 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

Well, I got my last two required caches today, Bell Park (statue) and The Four Tower Cave (worlds smallest cave) on the way to the Big XII Championship game this morning.  Now I only have to bide my time, log one each 24 hours and then do the puzzle.

BTW, Texas 70, Colorado 3... 

Hook 'em

#93 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:45 PM

My future Longhorn here was very happy to hear that score today  O0

#94 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:30 PM

DadJ  -  Now I'm 12/15  behind you, but I couldn't get to a computer at a proper time

#95 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:09 AM

Well, I was almost right.  It reset my log in time to 7:15 am, because that was what time I got up and logged my cache.  I got tired of waiting on the server last night and went to bed. >:(

So, am I to understand the pigpen cipher pun on the edges of the map have nothing to do with solving the puzzle?

Ignore the pigpen cipher.  It's a red herring just like the Morse Code.  It's fun though. 
Posted Image

#96 Chance Encounter

Chance Encounter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:33 AM

I just finished up this morning after sleeping on the puzzling final piece last night.  I nabbed Coin #134.  Had I not been on a road trip and thus missed my scheduled logging times on two different ocassions -- and had I figured out the final code more quickly -- I could have finished as high as 89th.  I'll be better prepared next time!

Speaking of "next time," don't forget to sign up for TheCachingPlace Newsletter so you'll be notified in advance of upcoming games.

BTW, this is the kind of viral marketing activity I've long advocated.  News of this game spread by word-of-mouth amongst avid cachers (thanks to Pepper giving most of us the initial heads-up), and it spread further still by mentioning the Coin Quest games in our logs.  I received several emails from folks who had seen my logs and wanted to know more.

Everyone that I've talked to who played had fun, and I'm sure the organizers sold a few more geocoins and other quality merchandise along the way.  In other words, it's a win-win proposition, and far more effective than banner ads, spam, or poorly-conceived, crappy "official merchandise."  Perhaps gc.com will take the hint...

#97 Team_J

Team_J

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationFarmington, NY

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:24 PM

I just wish I'd heard about the game sooner.  The interesting thing about the game layout was that it would seem to hurt the avid geocachers and favor those of us who had not been caching for a long time.  The sixteen (unfound by me) caches that fit the bill seem to be a whole lot easier than the 16 day limit to logging them.  I suppose that it would be easy to do it with a sock puppet account however....

#98 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

I just wish I'd heard about the game sooner.  The interesting thing about the game layout was that it would seem to hurt the avid geocachers and favor those of us who had not been caching for a long time.  The sixteen (unfound by me) caches that fit the bill seem to be a whole lot easier than the 16 day limit to logging them.  I suppose that it would be easy to do it with a sock puppet account however....

He sounds a bit envious... :)
Posted Image

#99 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:52 PM

We got our coin in the mail today.  It also came with a button to wear.  Our coin is #049.  We'll try to remember to bring it to the next event, if anyone wants a peek at it!
Posted Image

#100 Team_J

Team_J

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationFarmington, NY

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:00 PM

He sounds a bit envious... :)

Not at all envious.  Just disappointed that my lack of recent geocaching didn't pay off.  I have had no problem finding 16 caches that are new to me and which meet the requirements.  It's the 16 day limit that's killing me.  I imagine that the more prolific cachers have faced a problem finding 16 unfounds in their area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users