Photo

I'm on a quest any body wanna help me...

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61 The Hazelnuts

The Hazelnuts

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:56 PM

I read about the Coin Quest game on this forum. Thanks, Pepper, for the heads up. I saw one of your logs on a cache that we both found and thought, "What is this?" It has kept up my interest in caching! I was able to get most of my finds on a trip to S.A. to see the parents for Thanksgiving. Any excuse for caching!!! O0 I got the cave one at Natural Bridge Earthcache - less than 20 miles from the parents' house. That was a good one!!

#62 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:22 PM

It's getting down to the end of Coin Quest and the map is being uncovered.  What are the symbols on the side?  I know we've seen them before.  Any help on where we can find out how to break that code? 
Posted Image

#63 The Hazelnuts

The Hazelnuts

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:04 PM

I'd seen that somewhere before, too. I have a book called "Codes, Ciphers, and Secret Writings" by Martin Gardner. I think it is the pigpen cipher? I haven't really tried to break the code yet. The book says that letters are separated by lines, like pigs in a pen. You draw two ticktacktoe patterns and two X patterns. Then letters are placed in all of the compartments, but dots are placed in only one of the ticktacktoes and one of the Xs. So a "V" pointing up without a dot is the top compartment of the X pattern that does not have a dot. I haven't googled it yet, but it should be out there somewhere.

#64 Chance Encounter

Chance Encounter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:08 PM

Yes, it's definitely the Pigpen Cipher, used by Freemasons as early as the 18th century.  I believe it was mentioned in one of the many Sherlock Holmes short stories that focus on secret writings.

Here's a good link that should make the decryption easy:

Pigpen Cipher

#65 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the help with the cipher.  I've now got the part that I have uncovered deciphered, and I can guess on the rest.  The message is cute. 
Posted Image

#66 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:47 PM

I found a multi-cache today where the final cooridinates had the last three numbers the same.  Would that count for the three digits requirement?  I couldn't find in the Coin Quest rules or FAQ's nor on the Cache Nuts forums where it said it wouldn't.

Also, anybody have a short list of Statue caches?  Other than my "Hometown History", that is? :o
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#67 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:26 PM

I found a multi-cache today where the final cooridinates had the last three numbers the same.  Would that count for the three digits requirement?  I couldn't find in the Coin Quest rules or FAQ's nor on the Cache Nuts forums where it said it wouldn't.

Also, anybody have a short list of Statue caches?  Other than my "Hometown History", that is? :o

Bell Park is a statue cache. 
Posted Image

#68 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:40 PM

AS THE WORLD TURNS near Herman Park could be used for a Statue Cache

#69 The Hazelnuts

The Hazelnuts

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:08 PM

I'm not too sure about your three-digit question, Houston Control. I e-mailed cachunuts directly a couple of times with questions and they replied back quickly. I found Shriner's Lookout this morning for the three-digit find and it also has a statue nearby - kind of - across the street. Seems close enough to me.

#70 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

Hazelnuts, somewhere I read that the 3 digits cache must have a log book at the coords given on GC and not on multi-stage cache.  Check one of THOT's recent post where he listed several caches ending in the same 3 digits.  Two of mine were listed as well  -    ARMADILLO PALACE  and  THE FOUR TOWER CACHE

Have fun

#71 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:05 PM

Y'all are probably right on the 3 digits thing.  I emailed cache nuts anyway, so we'll see what they say.  BTW, I placed a cache in Baytown that meets the last 3 digits requirement(GCRCKG), it anyone is interested.  Plus, I have a statue cache, a cache in a forest, several micros, and a cache with a great view.  If I could only log my own caches.... ::)

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#72 Pepper

Pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationAlvin, Texas

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:03 PM

MedTexPlacer finished the Coin Quest Adventure!

So I guess now all the rest of SETX folk will be all finishing soon I'm watching the fun.

Good luck y'all

Pepper

#73 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:11 PM

Special thanks to Pepper for this log.  Also without GQ and this site I would never have known.  We were fortunate that tx_secsy and the MuddyBuddies hosted an Event cache as that is one of the logs that seems to be hard for many people.
Posted Image

#74 Pepper

Pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationAlvin, Texas

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:02 PM

Oh my gosh with out tx_secsy and the MuddyBuddies being the 4th to finish would of not be possible thanks girls.

pepper

#75 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:31 AM

When we got to the end and had to figure out the puzzle, it took us over an hour to figure it out.  That was pretty frustrating, but when we stumbled onto how to solve it, we found it to be very clever.  This was a fun game.  Thanks Pepper for letting everyone know about it.  We went from starting out around the 90th place to being 49th.  That must mean that many others gave up on the puzzle or had requirements that they are having trouble getting.  I was going to really be mad if I had gone through all of the travelling to get requirements and then couldn't complete it on the last day due to a puzzle.    Good luck to all of the other Houston Area Geocachers.  I can't wait to get my coin. 
Posted Image

#76 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:45 AM

I went back to the leaderboard for Coin Quest just to see how long it took others to solve the puzzle.  It was just embarassing.  There were only 3 others in the top 50 that were slower than we were at figuring it out.  We took 1 hr. 18 minutes.  There was a 1:43, 5:55, and a 9:54.  What was amazing to me was that there were ones that had it figured in a few seconds.  Wow!! I'm impressed.  mtp had it figured out really quick.  I guess he's used to puzzles.    Pepper also had it done quickly. 
Posted Image

#77 Pepper

Pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationAlvin, Texas

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:35 AM

Congrats to the Hazelnuts and Muddy Buddies ya done good! O0

I can't take the credit for it only taking seconds to solve, my husband the SuperGenius had it solved for me even befor I received my last piece of the puzzle.

Hey you can sign up to receive the newletter at the caching place dot com to get a heads up on the next game, I'm in!  How about y'all?

have a great all

Pepper

#78 The Hazelnuts

The Hazelnuts

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:43 AM

The Coin Quest game was great!! However, that last piece of the map really threw me for a loop. WHAT????  :o How does this relate to anything? Panic! Adrenaline! Fear of dropping down below 250 because I can't figure out what everyone else seems to understand right away!! Once I settled down and looked at it, it finally dawned on me.  ::) Congratulations, Pepper, mtp, MBs! (mtp - I bet you were frustrated with the 24-hour clock and you couldn't solve it right away!  :D) Best wishes for the Houston-area cachers coming down the pipeline.

#79 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:46 AM

Congrats to the Hazelnuts and Muddy Buddies ya done good! O0

I can't take the credit for it only taking seconds to solve, my husband the SuperGenius had it solved for me even befor I received my last piece of the puzzle.

Hey you can sign up to receive the newletter at the caching place dot com to get a heads up on the next game, I'm in!  How about y'all?

have a great all

Pepper

Our effort was a team effort, but Stan did the important part.  I figured out the kind of code to use, but he figured out what to do with it.  

Thanks for the heads up on the newsletter.   I went to thecachingplace.com and signed up for the newsletter email list.  

Posted Image

#80 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:52 AM

Actually I had not solved the puzzle until the end.  I figured why agonize over it.  I actually thought about waiting to see if I could get a certain number like 100.  But once I solved it I said why wait.  I enjoyed the much shorter game.  I have already signed up on the newsletter that way I can give Pepper a run for her money O0
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users