#121 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

Under GPS in GSAK it says "Receive Waypoints"  ...that may work!

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#122 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

Under GPS in GSAK it says "Receive Waypoints"  ...that may work!

(no cables on hand at the moment to try it....)

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#123 Pooh of Tggr&Pooh

Pooh of Tggr&Pooh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationNW Houston (Copperfield/BearCreek)

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

Wanna borrow my cable? Just reach thru the monitor grille ... a little farther .. there you go!

#124 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

I think we paid about $130 for MapSource.

That sounds like City Navigator, Tim. (or one of the other detailed map programs they have)  Garmin sells the base software for $29.99 (just checked)

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#125 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

Wanna borrow my cable? Just reach thru the monitor grille ... a little farther .. there you go!

:D

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#126 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

I think we paid about $130 for MapSource.

That sounds like City Navigator, Tim. (or one of the other detailed map programs they have)  Garmin sells the base software for $29.99 (just checked)

Perfect example.  As I remember I looked into the "MapSource" software when I first bought the unit.  I must have found 20 seemingly different things with the name MapSource, priced from about $30 to $400.  I went away with my head spinning and saying, "Why do I need maps anyway, I only use it to find caches?"

#127 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

And, the answer is . . .

A thing called Trip & Waypoint Manager came with the unit.  I had never taken it out of the box, thinking GSAK would do anything it would do.  I installed it and Voila!, like OSC said, it will import all waypoints.  I saved that file out .gpx and dropped it into GSAK -- waypoints available for analysis.

Thanks OSC.

#128 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

And, the answer is . . .

A thing called Trip & Waypoint Manager came with the unit.  I had never taken it out of the box, thinking GSAK would do anything it would do.  I installed it and Voila!, like OSC said, it will import all waypoints.  I saved that file out .gpx and dropped it into GSAK -- waypoints available for analysis.

Thanks OSC.

Any time! O0

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#129 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

I have Mapsource, and in the upper left-hand corner of the menu bar, just under "File / Edit / Find /....", is a drop-down box that says "Select a Product" when I hover the cursor over it.  My choices are No Map, Trip & Waypoint Manager v2, City Select North America v6, or City Navigator North America v8.  The City Select v6 came with my Garmin iQue M5 and I bought the City Navigator v8 upgrade last year.

So it looks like my Trip & Waypoint Manager is a part of Mapsource?
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#130 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:50 AM

I have Mapsource, and in the upper left-hand corner of the menu bar, just under "File / Edit / Find /....", is a drop-down box that says "Select a Product" when I hover the cursor over it.  My choices are No Map, Trip & Waypoint Manager v2, City Select North America v6, or City Navigator North America v8.  The City Select v6 came with my Garmin iQue M5 and I bought the City Navigator v8 upgrade last year.

So it looks like my Trip & Waypoint Manager is a part of Mapsource?

MapSource seems like the umbrella app that everything else plugs into.  You need it first.

When we got City Navigator we tried to install it on its own...it needed MapSource T&WM before it allowed you to continue....

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#131 Marklar,Marklar, & Marklar

Marklar,Marklar, & Marklar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMarklar

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:46 AM

I just got one. Going to learn how to use it tomorrow. :tinfoil:

#132 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

Stan just ordered me one.  Now that he found the way to put the GC number and part of the name so that it displays, I'm sold on it.  That was my only hold back before.  I'm just hoping that I have a chance to learn how to use it as well as I can my Magellan before the TX Challenge. 
Posted Image

#133 Pooh of Tggr&Pooh

Pooh of Tggr&Pooh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationNW Houston (Copperfield/BearCreek)

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

OK, so I finally bit and looked at the specs on this guy, compared it to my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, which retails for $100 less. I wanted to see what new things I was missing. Using the Garmin site's comparison tool, the only difference I see is that the 60CSx comes with an SD card (I had to supply my own), and the 60CSx also has tide tables (which I don't think I will need). Oh, it offers serial PC interface in addition to USB. On the other hand, mine weighs less and lasts longer on the same batteries.

What am I missing? What's the big deal for the 60?

#134 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

Stan just ordered me one.  Now that he found the way to put the GC number and part of the name so that it displays, I'm sold on it.  That was my only hold back before. 

What do you use the GC numbers for in the field?

I'm just hoping that I have a chance to learn how to use it as well as I can my Magellan before the TX Challenge. 

Here's my review of the 60CSx compared to my old Maggie.

#135 Rich & Lola

Rich & Lola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:43 AM

I like the buttons after using Magellan for years the 60's buttons make thing a little more user friendly.

#136 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

OK, so I finally bit and looked at the specs on this guy, compared it to my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, which retails for $100 less. I wanted to see what new things I was missing. Using the Garmin site's comparison tool, the only difference I see is that the 60CSx comes with an SD card (I had to supply my own), and the 60CSx also has tide tables (which I don't think I will need). Oh, it offers serial PC interface in addition to USB. On the other hand, mine weighs less and lasts longer on the same batteries.

What am I missing? What's the big deal for the 60?

The micro sd card in the 60CSx was worthless (64mb.. why bother...) because it took a 2Gb card to store the entire US, Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii...

Other than that, there was no HCx when we bought the 60CSx so there was no way to compare the two; at the time, the 60CSx was it.

And as far as all the other stuff, personally, the 60CSx looks cooler...it looks rugged....do they rate ruggedness?  The HCx is probably rugged and we're not willing to beat either unit up to make a point but the 60 looks like it was designed to take more of a beating...

PLUS....

You can wedge the 60CSx on your dash and front window pillar and navigate for a FTF pretty easily....not sure you can wedge the HCx that way....

PLUS...

do they have a bike mount for the HCx?  They do for the 60.....

All things considered Important for Mr. OSC....

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#137 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:56 AM

Stan just ordered me one.  Now that he found the way to put the GC number and part of the name so that it displays, I'm sold on it.  That was my only hold back before.   I'm just hoping that I have a chance to learn how to use it as well as I can my Magellan before the TX Challenge. 

....like Thot asked, what value are the GC numbers in the field?

....if you use the Send To GPS function on GC.com it sends them as the GC number which tends to get hairy when trying for multiple FTFs....you have to go to the cache on the unit and see which is which.....  when trying to get T&P's Colony Cwest series it made it a little challenging....(except the find next function worked extremely well....  O0)

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#138 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

We decided on the HCx because of the compact design.
Yes, they have a bike and windscreen mount for the HCx. It is universal between the two so you dont have to change clips when you go from one to the other.
Actually these 2 mounts are the same for the HCx, Cx and the monochrome units. As far as mounts, nothing changed for us when we went to the Cx and HCx.
Those mounts can get expensive!

#139 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

We decided on the HCx because of the compact design.
Yes, they have a bike and windscreen mount for the HCx. It is universal between the two so you dont have to change clips when you go from one to the other.
Actually these 2 mounts are the same for the HCx, Cx and the monochrome units. As far as mounts, nothing changed for us when we went to the Cx and HCx.
Those mounts can get expensive!

Well, that's good to know....Garmin is proud of their stuff, aren't they?

After seeing Pappy's windshield mount for the 60, it is the same for the bike mount....

...one thing that is abysmal on the 60...the belt clip S-T-I-N-K-S ....we're on our third one (all replaced under warranty) because the plastic fatigues and cracks......they should have made it a metal mounting clip.....

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#140 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

Stan just ordered me one.  Now that he found the way to put the GC number and part of the name so that it displays, I'm sold on it.  That was my only hold back before.   

What do you use the GC numbers for in the field?

I use the GC numbers to make my notes on the PDA about the cache so when I get home I can find the cache and log it.  The actual names are more helpful in the field because they sometimes give you a clue as to what you are looking for.  I just like having both.  Also, when I cache with others, I never know how they are referencing their caches and I'd like to give them either name as the next cache that we are going for.  I've had friends that use GC numbers only and others that use cache names only. 
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users