345 replies to this topic

#101 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:38 PM

The phenomenon above is associated with another observation on the difference between the two units.  I'm putting it in a different reply because I don't want to muddle/dilute my question above.

The Maggie (I think) had a moving weighted average going all the time.  This had two effects.  The bad news is this results in a lag between your current location and its reading, causing you to walk past the target location.  This behavior of Magellans is sometimes called the rubber-band effect.  Over time you learn to stop at about 20 feet from the target and let it catch up.  The good news is that as you walk toward a cache it tends to continue to point toward the same location.  The Garmin swings wildly as I walk toward a cache.  I may jump around randomly in an arc of as much as 90-120 degrees.  Thus you have to make sort of a mental average of the direction and walk in that self created damped/average direction.

I know this difference in behavior is true, I'm not certain the reasons I gave for it are correct.

#102 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:41 AM

The Maggie (I think) had a moving weighted average going all the time. 

It seems that there is even difference in the Maggies.  Kathy has a Magellan Color, while I have an Explorist 500.  The 500 must average a lot faster because it seems to locate GZ much quicker, while the Magellan Color does as you describe in your post.  It's something you get used to over time, but the behavior of your Garmin would drive me batty.
Posted Image

#103 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:52 AM

The phenomenon above is associated with another observation on the difference between the two units.  I'm putting it in a different reply because I don't want to muddle/dilute my question above.

The Maggie (I think) had a moving weighted average going all the time.  This had two effects.  The bad news is this results in a lag between your current location and its reading, causing you to walk past the target location.  This behavior of Magellans is sometimes called the rubber-band effect.   Over time you learn to stop at about 20 feet from the target and let it catch up.   The good news is that as you walk toward a cache it tends to continue to point toward the same location.  The Garmin swings wildly as I walk toward a cache.  I may jump around randomly in an arc of as much as 90-120 degrees.  Thus you have to make sort of a mental average of the direction and walk in that self created damped/average direction.

I know this difference in behavior is true, I'm not certain the reasons I gave for it are correct.

Ours doesn't swing wildly... ???

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#104 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:51 AM

The Maggie (I think) had a moving weighted average going all the time.

The 500 must average a lot faster because it seems to locate GZ much quicker, while the Magellan Color does as you describe in your post. 

The Garmin does find GZ quickly, but it seems to jump around more.  Again, I think this is because it doesn't average, but does new determinations constantly.  I may be wrong about this but it's the way it feels.

#105 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

Sounds like you're having issues with your 60CSX, Thot, and should go back to the Maggie.  I'll give you $50 for it!  >:D

My Garmin will swing like that if I get in heavy tree cover with a real poor signal.  In those instances, I've been known to hang it in a tree, see which way it is pointing, use the compass to explore that area, then check back to the Garmin every so often to see if it is still indicating the same area.  When I'm done, the track log will often look like the drunken bumblebee dance. 

Like I said, that is only when the signal is very poor, which is pretty rare.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#106 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

Sounds like you're having issues with your 60CSX, Thot, and should go back to the Maggie.  I'll give you $50 for it!  >:D

If I could get a unit with the operational features of this unit (sensitivity, USB connectivity, etc) and the averaging characteristics of my old Maggie I would indeed sell this unit and get it.  But, as far as I know such a beast doesn't exist.

My Garmin will swing like that if I get in heavy tree cover with a real poor signal.  In those instances, I've been known to hang it in a tree, see which way it is pointing, use the compass to explore that area, then check back to the Garmin every so often to see if it is still indicating the same area.

That's what I did with the Maggie.  I even carry a hanging hook for this purpose

Posted Image

But, as I said, I use the bearing to the cache with a magnetic compass and as the unit hangs there longer and longer the location/bearing became more and more stable until it always pointed within 5-10 degrees of the target coordinates -- usually closer than that.  But, the Garmin never settles down.  It keeps changing.  I saw this behavior with the Magellan when I first got it, because I kept moving it around as I watched the bearing.  Not big movements, just turning my body.  Moving it even fairly small amounts in a circular path causes the averaging to start over, so it was constantly generating new values much like the Garmin appears to do all the time.

#107 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

What are you compass settings and when was the last time you calibrated the compass?

I would test with the compass on and off but not before recalibrating.
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#108 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

What are you compass settings and when was the last time you calibrated the compass?

I would test with the compass on and off but not before recalibrating.

I'm sorry, I don't follow that.  I'm not using the the electronic compass in the 60CSx, I'm using a boy scout magnetic compass.

#109 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

Yes, but do you have the compass on the 60CSX turned off? If not do you have it calibrated?

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#110 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

Yes, but do you have the compass on the 60CSX turned off? If not do you have it calibrated?

I think so.  The compass screen does not appear when I "Page" through the screens.

The only screens I display are Map, Satellite, Main Menu, Trip computer (Which I use as a general data screen.  It's where bearing is displayed, for example.) and Find.

Can the compass be turned on even if the compass screen is not displayed?

#111 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

See page 3, 7, 49, and 50 in the manual

Page 3 describes how to quickly turn on and off the compass by using the page button.
Page 7 describes the icon that appears when the compass is on.
Page 49 explains how to use auto on/off.
Page 50 explains how to calibrate the compass.

However I don't use the same screen you do when navigating to a cache and I generally like to use the compass as well.

So my experience may not be the same as yours.

Help me help you.

#112 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

See page 3, 7, 49, and 50 in the manual

Page 3 describes how to quickly turn on and off the compass by using the page button.
Page 7 describes the icon that appears when the compass is on.

I remember reading those when I first got the unit, but had forgotten them.  The compass is and was off.

For me the whole compass thing is confusing.  There's the "mock" compass which is on almost all GPSrs and which some people use to point them to the cache.  Then there's the electronic compass on these higher end units.  Since, I never use the mock compass and the screens look similar and have the same or similar names I confuse the mock and electronic compass screens.  I really wish they'd give the screens different names.  The mock compass isn't a compass, it's a pointer and they shouldn't call it a compass when the same device has a real compass. 

I paid the few dollars extra to get the electronic compass to see if it was useful, but it seems to be too fussy to be worthwhile.  You have to calibrate it by turning in circles at a precise speed every time you change batteries, and then you really need to check it against a real compass because it seems to be off a little after calibration sometimes.  I get dizzy turning in circles so I have to be somewhere I can sit down if necessary.  Since I rarely use actual compass readings and  have a small convenient actual magnetic compass in my caching bag, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and don't use it.

When you say you use the compass when navigating to a cache, do you mean the mock compass or the electronic compass?

#113 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:54 PM

I use the electronic compass, or have it turn on under 10mph. The arrow seems to spin less with it on given that it's calibrated.

Help me help you.

#114 JaMPrindle

JaMPrindle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, Tx

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

I have noticed with the electronic compass on and caled I have noticed that at times it'll be pointing a good 10 degrees off from the cache with it on.  Once it's off then it points dead on at it.  It doesn't always do this, but it's done it enough times that I keep the electronic one turned off unless I really need it.

#115 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:07 AM

I use the electronic compass, or have it turn on under 10mph. The arrow seems to spin less with it on given that it's calibrated.

Good Catch.  We have ours turned off at 0mph because it's only worth using standing still.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#116 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

I was out last week scouting potential cache locations.  I captured about 15 locations.  Now I want to import them into GSAK, but I can't figure out how.  It will import caches but not these manually recorded coordinates with the blue flag icon.

How?

#117 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:01 PM

Upload them to the MapSource program and then save them as a .gpx file.  That sounds like the way to go....(never having done it, though....)

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#118 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:16 PM

Upload them to the MapSource program . . .

I don't have MapSource

#119 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

Really?  Hmmm...it usually comes with the unit as the base software....Heck, you should be able to get that for free from Garmin....even via download.....just checked over there and didn't see it....

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#120 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

I think we paid about $130 for MapSource.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users