345 replies to this topic

#81 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:15 PM

Is this the only way to manually enter coordinates ?

Posted Image

Maybe It's because I did it so many times but I find the Maggie SportTrak method much quicker and more convenient.  Perchance, is there a way to switch entry modes?

#82 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

Once I set the back light with the power button I tend to use the navigate pad in the middle to turn it back on after it times out.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#83 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

Did you get rid of your SporTrak Pro?

No.  I lend it out to newbies.

#84 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:51 PM

Is this the only way to manually enter coordinates ?

Posted Image

Maybe It's because I did it so many times but I find the Maggie SportTrak method much quicker and more convenient.  Perchance, is there a way to switch entry modes?

we're pretty sure that's the only way.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#85 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

Thanks.

#86 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

I'm back.

From the first it seemed like the rubber connector cover arrangement was iffy.  Well, yesterday the little rubber thingy came off.  This MUST have happened to others -- I didn't even notice doing anything unusual.  Luckily, I looked down and saw it on the ground before walking on.  What's the standard issue way to put it back.  I haven't had any luck trying to push it back on that post it came off of.

#87 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

Does the absence of replies mean I'm the only person who's had this problem?

#88 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:51 PM

What piece of rubber are you talking about?? None of mine fall off.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#89 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:09 PM

What piece of rubber are you talking about?? None of mine fall off.

Posted Image

#90 JaMPrindle

JaMPrindle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, Tx

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

You must be really hard on your unit... :)

#91 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:37 PM

My unit is just a GPS60, but has the same setup.  The rubber piece is held on with a screw, and after 2-1/2 years of heavy use, it still looks and performs like new. O0
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#92 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

On my 60C I replaced the one over the power connector because it wouldn't stay closed. I just called garmin to ask where to get one and they sent it along with a screw for free. Never had one just fall off though.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#93 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

TMI!

Ours is just like new, then again, Thot, we use the neoprene cover four our unit.  You always should keep a cover on your unit!  Stay safe!  ;D

Seriously, that keeps the unit from getting scratched up and icky...

The only thing with the cover is that you can't use it for a vehicle mount (which we don't have) or a bike mount (which we do have) but for generic caching on foot it's perfect...

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#94 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,306 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

My unit (60CS) has been used and abused. Dropped, submerged in water, mud, off the bike at 20mph kicked with foot/pedal into the front wheel. The eyelet near the antenna is ripped and it has it's fair share of scratches.

The rubber covers on the back have never failed.

I do have to calibrate it quite often though.

Freak accident is my guess...

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#95 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

Not really.  I'm not sure what it would take to be "hard" on it, but I lay it on the dash while driving, carry it in my hand when walking and put it in my shirt (jumpsuit actually) pocket when I need both hands.  That's about it.

#96 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

My unit (60CS) has been used and abused. Dropped, submerged in water, mud, off the bike at 20mph kicked with foot/pedal into the front wheel. The eyelet near the antenna is ripped and it has it's fair share of scratches.

I've probably only been caching with it 10-15 times (too hot since I got it).  It's never been dropped, doesn't have a scratch on it -- the case is like new.

I did the only logical thing I could think of.  I removed the screw, replaced the rubber thingy and pushed the screw in from the back of it.  The problem is it's hard to be sure you aren't cross-threading the screw -- small screw, find thread and the rubber pushing the screw to one side.  I can't be sure I didn't.

#97 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:59 PM

I do have to calibrate it quite often though.

My electronic compass needs calibrating more often than I than I think it should.  It is also not as accurate as it should be.  I find that turning it off while moving gives a more accurate pointer. 

#98 JaMPrindle

JaMPrindle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, Tx

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:54 PM

My electronic compass needs calibrating more often than I than I think it should.  It is also not as accurate as it should be.  I find that turning it off while moving gives a more accurate pointer. 

I read somewhere that if you replace the batteries then the compass has to be recaled.

I agree on the navigation with the compass on.  Most of the time I leave it off unless I just finished a cal on it and then it seems to be ok.

#99 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:42 AM

When I can, I replace the batteries with the unit plugged into a power source to avoid loosing calibration.  But last Saturday I had to recalibrate twice and it still pointed in sightly different directions depending on whether the compass was on or off.  The compass on direction was the wrong one.  Time to call Garmin.

#100 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:32 PM

A new question.

I was out today hunting a cache in an area where it was hard to move around.  In this situation I sometimes use a bearing to locate the cache.  I put the GPSr in a fixed location with the most sky I can reasonably get and let it determine a bearing to the cache. I then use a compass (a real compass) to sight along that bearing line and use the distance to figure where the cache should be. 

Today I tried this trick for the first time with the 60CS.  The bearing simply wouldn’t settle down.  It kept fluctuating in a range from 25 to 175 degrees.  Wow!  That’s like saying “It to your left.”  Not much help.  Am I doing something wrong?

With my Maggie, anytime it stopped moving it started averaging and so if I left it in the location for a couple of minutes the bearing became quite stable – and often quite accurate.  The Garmin has to be “put” in the averaging mode manually, and I couldn’t come up with a way to change screens while it was averaging so I could see the bearing.  Nor could I figure out how to add bearing to the averaging screen.  I began to believe the difference between the units was because the Maggie averages over time and thus becomes stable, while the 60CS is continuously calculating new independent locations so it never settles down.  Whatever the reason it was useless for this trick that worked so well with the Maggie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users