345 replies to this topic

#61 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

I would have thought that the "mock compass" would be the easiest for a beginner to use rather than the map screen.   For those of us that are a bit map challenged and have to turn our maps in the direction we are going, the arrow is so much easier.   

I was a rank beginner when I wrote that and immediately found the map more informative and easier to orient myself and know how close to the cache I am. 

If you follow the instructions on that page you don't have to turn maps in any direction.  The map always points in the direction you are moving and shows the cache in relation to you and the direction you are going.

Posted Image

I have my map set as north always facing up.  To use the map in the way that you mention, I'd have to reset my map display to course up.    I prefer to know what direction I'm headed.  It's just a personal preference for this simple mind.  I have read very little of your guide because by the time it came around, I was no longer considering myself a beginner.  I'm sure that there is stuff in your guide that I could learn from, but since what I'm using is working for me, I think that I'll just stick with it. 
Posted Image

#62 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

(BTW, I use a Magellan and not a Garmin, so it's not a Garmin issue that is referred to in the Beginner's guide).   

I'm sorry, but if you use a Magellan how would you know there's not an issue using the Map in a Garmin?

I think that you missed what I was trying to say.  I was referring to your sidebar...

Sidebar:  In the first release of this article I said "don't use the compass."  I got flack from many cachers with much more experience than I have who rely on the compass the way I rely on the Map.  I haven't been able to understand why they prefer it --  perhaps the Map screen isn't as useful on Garmin units.  But I know this, it's a mistake to ignore the weight of that kind of experience.  So, now I say, you need to figure out which display works best for you.

I was just trying to say that it's not just a Garmin user that might disagree with you because I'm a Magellan user and I disagreed with this method too.  Your last sentence says it best though...figure out which display works best for you. 
Posted Image

#63 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

Well, as much as I have checked your pages, I'll admit that we (OSC, the team) prefer to let the compass get us close and use our native visual receptor devices (our EYES) and intuition find the cache.  ;)

The more we've cached the less reliance on keeping the head in the unit.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#64 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:10 AM

Well, as much as I have checked your pages, I'll admit that we (OSC, the team) prefer to let the compass get us close and use our native visual receptor devices (our EYES) and intuition find the cache.  ;)

From my beginners guide:

Believe your GPSr, but don’t be slaved to it. When you get within 20-30  feet (6-10 meters), -- maybe a little more -- start looking around for where it might be hidden.  Many beginners either depend too much on the GPSr, or don’t trust it enough. Either is a mistake. 

#65 JaMPrindle

JaMPrindle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, Tx

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:01 PM

The downside to using the map to find the cache is with using older units.  When I was using our blue Garmin I tried to use the map to find caches, but the unit was so slow I got sick of waiting for it to update the map.  I would use the map to get a general idea of where the cache was, but I mainly use the arrow once I get with in 200' - 300' or so.  When I'm down to 10 - 15' or so I go into the mode of, if I was hiding this cache were would I put it.

JaM

#66 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:59 PM

Question 453,242,233 in my ongoing series. 

When I tried to scroll down the list looking for a waypoint this afternoon it seemed to only scroll down to a limited number of waypoints -- maybe 2-3 screens worth.  I have almost 1000 caches in from the entire City, but it stopped listing caches at about 5 miles from where I was.  Is this how it's supposed to work or am I doing something wrong?

#67 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

Yes, That is how it is designed to work. If you going to be looking for a cache in particular and not just the nearest 20 then switch to find by name and start typing the first few characters of the cache until you find it. You can also select caches from the maps screen too. Just pan the cursor to the waypoint you're looking for until a dialog pops up. Then press enter.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#68 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:11 AM

thanks 

Actually I wouldn't remember the name until I saw it.

#69 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

Okay, I'm back. 

The batteries just gave a "low" popup, so I replaced them with a fresh pair.  The thing then gave a "the battery is too low to use backlight" popup.  I changed to another fresh pair.  The unit would not come on.  Another pair -- same story.  I have 5 pairs of NiMH rechargeables, only the first pair I removed was discharged one (using it in the unit).  The last pair (a much older and one, recharged many times (the other 4 pairs are fairly new) finally worked.  But, when the backlight comes on it flickers continuously.  This behavior confuses me.

Second problem:
Is there any way to stop that tiny black SD chip from falling out nearly every time I change batteries?  I've almost lost it in the grass. 

#70 Scott...yer CRAZY

Scott...yer CRAZY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:30 PM

I am not sure what is going on with the batteries and back light, but there is a silver piece that he micro SD card "slips" under....you should be able to slide that piece and "lock" the card in-place

#71 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

Thanks.  Yes, I've done that several times.  I never really feel it "snap" into place and it keeps coming loose.

#72 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:31 AM

Thanks.  Yes, I've done that several times.  I never really feel it "snap" into place and it keeps coming loose.

Call Garmin and explain the problem.  It sounds like you need to get a replacement unit if you've got these two issues going on...

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#73 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:15 AM

I'll consider that -- problem is I'll be without for a while if I do it.

The unit seems to work fine when the battery change is finally done.  Well . . ., except for the flickering backlight.

Edited to add the qualification

#74 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

Another question:

How do others typically turn the backlight on?  I press the enter key

#75 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:29 AM

Another question:

I press the power button to turn the back light on for my receiver. 

With the batteries, have you checked the settings for the battery?  If they are set for alkaline and you put in rechargeables, the receiver will not get the voltage it is expecting. 

#76 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:12 AM

Another question:

Don't you get that light intensity slider when you do it that way?

With the batteries, have you checked the settings for the battery?  If they are set for alkaline and you put in rechargeables, the receiver will not get the voltage it is expecting. 

Thanks.  Yes, it is set for NiMH

#77 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

Another question:

Don't you get that light intensity slider when you do it that way?

Yes, and it annoys me every time, because I just want the back light to come on so I can see.

#78 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

I specifically asked Garmin this and they said all that setting does is measure the depletion of power differently for each battery type.  It has nothing to do whatsoever with voltage.

I asked because I thought, I just bought some rechargeable batteries and how do I get them into the unit without damaging it if it is set for alkaline?  That's when they told me that it's just a metering thing, not a voltage thing.

Hope that helps!

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#79 Scott...yer CRAZY

Scott...yer CRAZY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

<snip>

Did you buy the unit at REI? If you did, just swap it out under the 100% satisfaction guaranty O0

#80 Lefty Writer

Lefty Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:32 AM

The unit seems to work fine when the battery change is finally done.

Did you get rid of your SporTrak Pro?
carpe cerevisi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users