#41 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

By the way, here are the pros and cons I see to the 60CSx vs my SporTrack Pro:

Though I haven't yet seen much improvement in location performance in this unit over my Maggie, it has some bells and whistles I like. 

Pros:
  • The biggest improvement is the USB connection.  Comm port is a real pain and sloooooow.
  • The increased number of caches it will hold is also very nice and one of the reasons I bought it (though I thought it held more without using the card).
  • I really like the direct download of a cache's coordinates. 
  • The easier battery change-out is another plus.

Cons:
  • It doesn't let GSAK erase/flush the existing waypoint load/set when refreshing it -- I have to do that 
  • It doesn't start coordinate averaging automatically when I stop moving.

That's about it for the way I use a GPSr.  Was all that worth $350?  I'm not sure.

If I think of other advantages I'll come back and list them.

#42 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,306 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:43 AM

Does GSAK or the Maggie give you the option to select which type of waypoints to delete?
-I like the 60cs because when you go to delete the waypoints you can delete waypoints by symbol and not clear the whole unit. A little extra functionality and control it seems which I like.

Garmin is so good it doesn't need to average..  :D  sorry.. I couldn't resist.
Although evertime I've averaged the coordinates didn't change much from when I started it.

FYI, hitting the menu button twice on any given screen/page will take you to the main menu.
Hitting the menu button once on a given screen/page will give you the options for that screen/page. So if you were on the altimeter page, hitting the menu button once will give you options pertaining to the altimeter.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#43 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:43 AM

When viewing the caches in order by distance.. hit menu, choose find by name.

Thanks. 

#44 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:50 AM

Does GSAK or the Maggie give you the option to select which type of waypoints to delete?
-I like the 60cs because when you go to delete the waypoints you can delete waypoints by symbol and not clear the whole unit. A little extra functionality and control it seems which I like.

I'm guessing you could do that in GSAK.  As far as I know you can't do it in the SporTrack, but it's a feature I haven't realized a value for yet so I've never tried to do it.

FYI, hitting the menu button twice on any given screen/page will take you to the main menu.
Hitting the menu button once on a given screen/page will give you the options for that screen/page. So if you were on the altimeter page, hitting the menu button once will give you options pertaining to the altimeter.

I knew that from when I first got it and was setting it up, but I'd forgotten it.  That popup menu feature is nice too.

#45 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

You can also find by symbol, too....and I mentioned this in another thread...if you go to the calendar and enter the day, you can see the caches you did in the order you did them!  For the picky people (like us, er me, the other half of the team thinks I'm nutty about it...and she's correct...) that's a plus!

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#46 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

. . the other half of the team thinks I'm nutty about it...and she's correct...

Hmm . . .  She's right. ;)

#47 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:27 AM

. . the other half of the team thinks I'm nutty about it...and she's correct...

Hmm . . .   She's right. ;)

;D

;D

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#48 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

Here I go again.

When you resend the same set of waypoints that are already in the unit, does it put them in a separate place, thus using more memory?  Spec says it will hold 1000.  I had about 800 in it.  I refreshed about 200 of these 800 and began getting a "Waypoint Memory Full" message.  If it reused the space originally occupied by these same waypoints it should not have increased the memory used at all.

#49 JaMPrindle

JaMPrindle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, Tx

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:59 AM

If you used the exact format to send the same waypoints to your unit then it should of updated them.  If anything in the name of the cache was different it will treat them as waypoints.  I use the GC code as the name to make sure it's the same all the time and then use my custom description.

JaM

#50 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

If you used the exact format to send the same waypoints to your unit then it should of updated them. 

Nothing changed other than any changes made to the cache (new coordiantes, etc.).  It's just an update.  I have a local set I update regularly and  a larger set I update less frequently.  Unfortunately, since it doesn't use the same space and a full set nearly fills the gadget, I have to recombine the sets, use the gadget to erase all (because garmin doesn't have a software erase feature, booooo) then readd them all -- very clumsy and annoying.

#51 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:37 AM

Now another question.

How do I get rid of the pseudo compass screen -- the screen a lot of people use to point to the cache.  I don't  use this screen, but it's always in my way and I have to toggle screens to get away from it.

I've turned it off in the settings and it doesn't normally show, but  >:(every time>:( I choose a new cache to go to this damn screen comes up and I have to find the button and click it away ----- baaaaa humbug. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

#52 JaMPrindle

JaMPrindle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, Tx

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

Not sure about that one.  I think it's a firmware default to switch to the pointer screen after you have selected a waypoint.

#53 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

If you used the exact format to send the same waypoints to your unit then it should of updated them. 

Nothing changed other than any changes made to the cache (new coordiantes, etc.).  It's just an update.  I have a local set I update regularly and  a larger set I update less frequently.  Unfortunately, since it doesn't use the same space and a full set nearly fills the gadget, I have to recombine the sets, use the gadget to erase all (because garmin doesn't have a software erase feature, booooo) then readd them all -- very clumsy and annoying.

We found that if we upload identical caches it adds it with a number 1, thus making a mess.

We just delete all unfound caches prior to updating the unit with new caches.  It doesn't take too long to do the whole operation.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#54 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:26 AM

How do I get rid of the pseudo compass screen -- the screen a lot of people use to point to the cache.  I don't  use this screen, but it's always in my way and I have to toggle screens to get away from it.

I've turned it off in the settings and it doesn't normally show, but  >:(every time>:( I choose a new cache to go to this damn screen comes up and I have to find the button and click it away ----- baaaaa humbug. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Sputnik (a Houston cacher) on gc.com had the answer:

Go into the unit setup under geocaching mode and change the icon there to something else (one that you normally don't use).

Apparently it uses the treasure chest icon to tell which waypoints are caches.  So, if it thinks another icon is caches it doesn't throw up the pseudo compass screen, and instead goes to the first screen in your list of screens -- exactly what I want.

#55 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:33 AM

???

???  to you too  ??  :laugh:

#56 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:36 AM

Sputnik (a Houston cacher) on gc.com had the answer:

Go into the unit setup under geocaching mode and change the icon there to something else (one that you normally don't use).

Apparently it uses the treasure chest icon to tell which waypoints are caches.  So, if it thinks another icon is caches it doesn't throw up the pseudo compass screen, and instead goes to the first screen in your list of screens -- exactly what I want.

So if you don't use the compass screen, how to you find caches?

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#57 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

So if you don't use the compass screen, how to you find caches?

I'm so glad you asked.  If you're serious go here

But, I'm ashamed of you for not reading my Beginner's Guide, which is prominently mentioned in the Home dropdown of this illustrious website and in the tagline of each and every one of my messages. :police:

#58 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

I would have thought that the "mock compass" would be the easiest for a beginner to use rather than the map screen.  For those of us that are a bit map challenged and have to turn our maps in the direction we are going, the arrow is so much easier.  I was just walking around with a group of friends this past week that were trying to read a very easy street map and were having problems with it.  I certainly wouldn't have turned them to the map screen.  The arrow is so much easier.  I personally use the map to get to about the last 500' from the cache and then switch over to the arrow for the final approach to the cache.  (BTW, I use a Magellan and not a Garmin, so it's not a Garmin issue that is referred to in the Beginner's guide).  If the map works best for you, then stick with it though.  Everyone needs to use the tools that are easiest for themselves. 
Posted Image

#59 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

(BTW, I use a Magellan and not a Garmin, so it's not a Garmin issue that is referred to in the Beginner's guide). 

I'm sorry, but if you use a Magellan how would you know there's not an issue using the Map in a Garmin?

#60 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

I would have thought that the "mock compass" would be the easiest for a beginner to use rather than the map screen.  For those of us that are a bit map challenged and have to turn our maps in the direction we are going, the arrow is so much easier. 

I was a rank beginner when I wrote that and immediately found the map more informative and easier to orient myself and know how close to the cache I am. 

If you follow the instructions on that page you don't have to turn maps in any direction.  The map always points in the direction you are moving and shows the cache in relation to you and the direction you are going.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users