345 replies to this topic

#341 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:53 PM

I forgot to report the outcome.  Garmin suggested I do a master reset (probably called something else).  This puts everything back to factory settings.  This worked to stop the battery drain.  However, I hide the pseudo compass and now it comes up as the default every time I select a new cache.  So, I have to page over to the Map screen which is the one I use.  Disappears once I page away from it until the next cache is selected.

#342 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

To whom it may concern.

If you use he Map screen and don't use the pseudo-compass you may be interested in this tip.  In the factory default settings, if your geocaches use the treasure box icon/symbol the pseudo-compass will come up every time you select a new cache and you have to toggle around to the Map screen.  The only way you can avoid this in the 60C settings is to change the icon for geocaches to something (anything) other than the treasure box so the device considers geocaches as waypoints.  NOTE:  Of course you have to also hide this screen.

I think you can probably tell GSAK to use another icon too, but the only way to avoid the pseudo compass screen using 60C settings it this way.  I've wrestled with Garmin for a week and they kept maintaining it was impossible to avoid it.  I figured it out myself this morning.  I had figure it out when I first got my unit, but when I did the master reset it went back to factory setting and I have forgotten that I'd done this.  This is how I knew it could be done when Garmin kept insisting it couldn't.

#343 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,259 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Sorry you had to go thru the trouble. The other way of saying that is if you want the Geocache compass screen you have to make sure the icon is set to the treasure chest. Not 100% sure but I think that wording is covered in the manual on pages 20, 21, and 72. Though it isn't clear what the "significance" is as detailed in the manual.
:)
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#344 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

The other way of saying that is if you want the Geocache compass screen you have to make sure the icon is set to the treasure chest.

You can show the normal pseudo-compass screen while using a different icon than the treasure chest, but apparently there's a version of this screen, with more geocaching options, that only comes up after you select a cache.  This is the version you don't get without using the treasure chest icon.  This latter version is the one I was getting.

#345 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,259 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

Correct.
Choosing the chest icon and then navigating to the "cache" the compass screen now in Geocache mode allows the unit to log the find under the calendar and give the option to navigate to another geocache. The irony here is I prefer the compass screen. On my 62st without using the "Geocache Dashboard" I have to switch back to the map screen to get to my additional geocache options. I know you like the map screen hence the irony. So you would probably welcome the change. Me not so much. However I submitted it as a bug.. so hopefully it will get fixed in the next firmware release.
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#346 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

I too prefer the pseudo-compass, but to each his own.  I found my first few hundred caches using a Garmin PDA/GPS that didn't have the arrow, only the map, so I've cached that way too.  ZHR finds caches looking at the raw lat/long numbers and walking around until they match the cache coordinates.  Heck, Nebulus703 doesn't use a GPS at all!  :o
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users