345 replies to this topic

#321 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

The POI loader will not work while the GPS is in mass storage mode.  Return to normal mode and it should work.  IN mass storage mode you must load a poi file into your Garmin/Poi folder.

#322 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

You can run the Garmin POI loader in "silent" mode so it doesn't bug you for info each time it runs.

In GSAK the macro command is

RUNPGM pgm="c:\garmin\PoiLoader.exe" parms=/silent

One advantage of using the POI loader is that it will take several GPX files and make one poi file in your GPS. But you will still be able to search your POIs by the gpx file they were created in.  For  example, I have a gpx file of non cache locations, such as camp grounds and even my home if I need directions.  I can easily see all these points without having to look among thousands of caches.

#323 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

The POI loader will not work while the GPS is in mass storage mode.  Return to normal mode and it should work.  IN mass storage mode you must load a poi file into your Garmin/Poi folder.

The first hundred of so tries I was not in the mass storage mode.  It was only after endless failures that I tried that mode. 

#324 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

You can run the Garmin POI loader in "silent" mode so it doesn't bug you for info each time it runs.

Right now I don't mind it bugging me I just want it to do something other that produce the failure.  It seems hopeless.  Garmin says you can't send GPX files to the unit using the POI loader, so they won't address a failure of something they say is impossible to begin with.

#325 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

The first hundred of so tries I was not in the mass storage mode.  It was only after endless failures that I tried that mode.

What error do you get when not in mass storage mode?  I get an error from the latest version of the POI Loader (can't remember the message) and use an older version.  The site I loaded it from no longer exists.  You may need to call Garmin for another recommendation.

#326 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

Right now I don't mind it bugging me I just want it to do something other that produce the failure.  It seems hopeless.  Garmin says you can't send GPX files to the unit using the POI loader, so they won't address a failure of something they say is impossible to begin with.

The POI Loader does not send a GPX file.  It reads the GPX file and converts it to a POI  file on your GPS.

#327 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

What error do you get when not in mass storage mode?

Posted Image

You may need to call Garmin for another recommendation.

They won't even discuss it with me because they say the POI loader can't use GPX files to put caches on the gadget.

#328 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

The POI Loader does not send a GPX file.  It reads the GPX file and converts it to a POI  file on your GPS.

Okay.  I still get the error.

#329 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

When you get old your mind turns to mashed potatoes.  I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.  In considering doing a cache that requires projection I worked out the projected location using GeoCalc (it's got a new name but I can't remember what it is -- maybe FizziCalc).  But, in GeoCalc you can do it in either of two ways that give slightly different answers.  So, I decided to do it with my 60CSx thinking that would be the most universal.  To my astonishment I got a quite different answer than the one given by GeoCalc.  Here's a simplified illustration.  The picture below is screen captures of before and after shots of the GPSr screen.

The before was the same in GeoCalc (N29° 33.210  W95° 05.662), but the answer in it was:

N 29 34.081, W 95 05.662

While the answer in the GPSr was:

N 29 34.076, W 95 05.595

These are over 350 feet different.  And, since the bearing was 000 or due north the longitude should have been unchanged -- the result GeoCalc got. 

What am I doing wrong?

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

#330 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,306 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

In fizzycalc choose high accuracy rather than great circle.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#331 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:46 PM

I noticed you are using "magnetic" projection.  Is that the same in both fizzycalc and the GPSr?

When you get old your mind turns to mashed potatoes.  I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.  In considering doing a cache that requires projection I worked out the projected location using GeoCalc (it's got a new name but I can't remember what it is -- maybe FizziCalc).  But, in GeoCalc you can do it in either of two ways that give slightly different answers.  So, I decided to do it with my 60CSx thinking that would be the most universal.  To my astonishment I got a quite different answer than the one given by GeoCalc.  Here's a simplified illustration.  The picture below is screen captures of before and after shots of the GPSr screen.

The before was the same in GeoCalc (N29° 33.210  W95° 05.662), but the answer in it was:

N 29 34.081, W 95 05.662

While the answer in the GPSr was:

N 29 34.076, W 95 05.595

These are over 350 feet different.  And, since the bearing was 000 or due north the longitude should have been unchanged -- the result GeoCalc got. 

What am I doing wrong?

Posted Image

#332 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

In fizzycalc choose high accuracy rather than great circle.

I was using high accuracy, but the difference between the two results is only a few feet, 10-20 maybe, at this distance -- not 350

#333 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:50 PM

I noticed you are using "magnetic" projection.  Is that the same in both fizzycalc and the GPSr?

By jove, I think you have the answer.  But, how did you know I was using magnetic

#334 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

That gets them much closer, but the difference is still 25 ft.  The message here may be to do projections on computer using a good program or expect to be up a good distance off if you use a GPSr.

#335 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

The great circle method is about in the middle -- about 12 ft from high accuracy instead of 25

#336 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

I thought Garmins always projected using High Accuracy (or the equivalent) while Magellans used Great Circle.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#337 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

By jove, I think you have the answer.  But, how did you know I was using magnetic

In your original post, the images of the GPSr screen shows  a small m to the lower right of the bearing.
Posted Image

#338 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

My 60CSx has begun running the batteries down when turned off.  At first I just though I'd forgotten and left it on.  So next time I feel sure I turned it off and the same thing happened again.  Yesterday I made sure I turned it off and today the batteries are dead.  I can replace the dead batteries with ones from my caching bag that were charged a week ago and it will work all afternoon, but the next morning it will be dead. 

Anybody seen this behavior?

#339 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:46 PM

No battery problems with mine.  That is a peculiar failure, some earlier Garmin's had a standby mode that would keep the barometer powered, but that was not implemented on the  60 series, nor would it drain the battery if working properly.  I'd call Garmin tech support. 

#340 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

My 60CSx has begun running the batteries down when turned off.  At first I just though I'd forgotten and left it on.  So next time I feel sure I turned it off and the same thing happened again.  Yesterday I made sure I turned it off and today the batteries are dead.  I can replace the dead batteries with ones from my caching bag that were charged a week ago and it will work all afternoon, but the next morning it will be dead. 

Anybody seen this behavior?

We went caching with georeynozos this week and she reported having the same problem with her 60CSx.... ours hasn't experienced that. ???  You may want to contact her...

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users