345 replies to this topic

#301 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:09 AM

OK, I just deleted all caches and reloaded the same set as I did last night.  When I press the Find button it goes to the normal Waypoints, Geocache, etc. screen, but pressing it repeatedly after that does nothing.

#302 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

My 60CSx was acting strange today.  I use the Map screen when hunting caches.  It creates a line that points to the cache.  You can follow that line to the cache.  Today it was pointing in all kinds of strange directions.  The distance to the cache was always right but this pointer was erratic.  Sometimes it behaved properly, but most of the time it was random.  I could still locate the caches by watching the distance decay.

I removed the batteries and put them back -- no change.

Has anyone seen this or have a guess what is causing it?

#303 jimjoandcourt

jimjoandcourt

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

No, I haven't seen that.  The only thing I could think that might have changed that was if you somehow put it on road travel mode (for lack of a better term) and it's trying to figure out the best road travel way to get there.  I have seen it act a little weird when I had left it in this mode, but was in the middle of the desert where there weren't any roads.  Only thing I can think of.  If you figure it out, let me know as I'm always interested in learning more about my GPS.  Good luck.

#304 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

I may have figured it out.  Somehow that damned electronic compass got turned on.  I can't test it tonight but if I don't post about this problem again you can assume that was it.    >:( :tickedoff: >:( compass  >:( :tickedoff:  Damn I wish I'd gotten the 60Cx, but I had no idea what a pain the compass would be.

#305 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

I may have figured it out.  Somehow that damned electronic compass got turned on.  I can't test it tonight but if I don't post about this problem again you can assume that was it.     >:( :tickedoff: >:( compass  >:( :tickedoff:   Damn I wish I'd gotten the 60Cx, but I had no idea what a pain the compass would be.

Ditto on the compass....that was what I was thinking...or it needed a recalibration because it just decided it needed one...

By the way, we tried using the TracBack in the field....the problem was it opened a map of Houston at about 100 mile resolution and asked which trail to use!  We'll have to look into that more....at the time (we had just found a cache and were deep in the woods) we just wanted to get out of there and didn't have the patience to zoom all the way in just to figure out which track to use.....

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#306 Lefty Writer

Lefty Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

I may have figured it out.  Somehow that damned electronic compass got turned on.  I can't test it tonight but if I don't post about this problem again you can assume that was it.     >:( :tickedoff: >:( compass  >:( :tickedoff:   Damn I wish I'd gotten the 60Cx, but I had no idea what a pain the compass would be.

That was my first thought, Thot, (yeah, I know...  ::) ) when I read your first post on it.  My Vista HCx will do the same thing every now and then and I have to stop and recalibrate it.  Meanwhile, Cindy is usually saying something like "Found it!" while I'm still messing around with the electronic compass.
carpe cerevisi

#307 jimjoandcourt

jimjoandcourt

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

I may have figured it out.  Somehow that damned electronic compass got turned on.  I can't test it tonight but if I don't post about this problem again you can assume that was it.     >:( :tickedoff: >:( compass  >:( :tickedoff:   Damn I wish I'd gotten the 60Cx, but I had no idea what a pain the compass would be.

Couldn't agree more!  I should have researched this a little more before buying.  When I read "plus an electronic compass",, I thought great idea - I gotta' have that!

Now knowing I paid extra for something that doesn't work at all and screws me up more often than not just kills me.

#308 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

I did this once a little over a year ago -- I think I asked here how to do it.  But, I've completely forgotten how. 

How do you add caches to the SD card and then make the gadget use these caches.

The 1000 limit has become a real pain.

The manual doesn't seem to explain this or I can't find it.  It seems to think I'll see the card in the gadget as another drive on my computer.  It isn't there.

#309 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Maybe this is easier to answer:

The images of text below are from from the manual.

When the first image says "Highlight the on-screen USB Mass Storage button and press ENTER"

Is it talking about the GPSr screen or the computer screen?  Is it talking about ENTER on the GPSr or the computer?  Needless to say I haven't found an on-screen USB Mass Storage button on either.  My computer has no buttons (only keys), and the GPSr has no buttons I can "highlight"  Maybe if I can figure out whether it's talking about ENTER on the computer or the GPSr this will indicate which device the USB Mass Storage button is on.

On the second image, when it says ". . press the MENU key with the USB Mass Storage Page open to . . ."  I assume it means the MENU button on the GPSr since there is no menu key on the computer  But, there's not one on the GPSr either, just a MENU button. 

Since, by the previous logic, it appears to be talking about the GPSr, it must mean a USB Mass Storage Page on the GPSr.  Where is this page?

NOTE:  To the right of the text in the second image there is a picture of what appears to be a GPSr screen titled "Card Information"

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

#310 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

I've now found a second reference to the "USB Mass Storage Page."  These are the only two places in the manual this page is mentioned.

This second reference says, "Pressing and releasing the unit POWER button exits the USB Mass Storage Page at any time . . ."  This seems to indicate the page is on the GPSr since I doubt they mean the computer power button.  But, where?

#311 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:47 AM

The manual doesn't explain what you're looking for because loading caches as POIs was not the intended purpose.
The Mass Storage option is just changing the behavior of the GPSr when you plug it into your computer.
When you enable the mass storage option you can view the SD card as if it were a Thumbdrive, etc.. an additional drive letter will appear under Windows Explorer.

Using Garmin's POI Loader which doesn't relate to the above can be used to load the caches as custom POIs rather than waypoints. This will allow you to load way more than the 1k limit.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#312 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

The Mass Storage option is just changing the behavior of the GPSr when you plug it into your computer.
When you enable the mass storage option you can view the SD card as if it were a Thumbdrive, etc.. an additional drive letter will appear under Windows Explorer.

How do you enable the mass storage option?

#313 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

I don't have my GPS here so I can't test this, but doesn't the mass storage mode restrict other ways of moving data to the GPS, like loading cashes from GSAK and using the Garmin poi loader?  Although in mass storage mode you should be able to copy a GPI file to the folder for POIs.

Either way, when you select a custom POI in your GPS, it can be saved as a geocache for easier use of the geocaching mode.  IIRC that feature was added by Garmin at the suggestion of one of our members here.

#314 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

How do you enable the mass storage option?

Enabling the Mass Storage function should be found under the interface menu on your GPSr.
Posted Image

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#315 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

Using Garmin's POI Loader which doesn't relate to the above can be used to load the caches as custom POIs rather than waypoints. This will allow you to load way more than the 1k limit.

Okay, I've been screwing with this for about 4 hours now and I'm about to tear out the little hair I have left.

In a very poorly written page on the Garmin website is seems to say you can load GPX files to the SD card using the POI loader but doesn't explain how.  When I try to do that I get the error message below.  I did what the error message says and called Garmin tech support.  The guy who answered said he'd never heard of anyone trying to use the POI loader to load GPX files to the 60cs.  I explained that his own website said you can, and read him the error message that said contact him.  He went away for several minutes and came back saying his manager confirmed you can't do this.  That was the end of the Garmin support story.

#316 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Oh yes, one more thing.  The unit locks up displaying this screen and has to be turned off before you can do anything else.

#317 geohiker

geohiker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

There are several GSAK macros that help load caches to the SD card on the 60CSx as POI.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#318 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

Now I've tried to go the other route -- using the "USB Mass Storage" method.

Using TFP's tip I found the USB Mass Storage "button" which isn't a button at all but a selection on the "Interface" screen. When I select it and press ENTER the computer ding-dongs indicating a USB device has been attached and throws up a little prompt saying everything's connected and good to go.  The GPSr shows a static screen with a picture of a GPSr connected to a computer.  But, the gadget does not appear in the list of drives in My Computer.  Then when you investigate the connection on the computer you get the window shown in the picture below, which says the device is working properly. 

Clicking "Troubleshoot" on this screen does no good because it doesn't present an option to troubleshoot a removable drive. 

#319 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

There are several GSAK macros that help load caches to the SD card on the 60CSx as POI.

Yeah, I tried one of those too.  All they seem to do is create GPX files for the POI loader to move to the device.  The problem I have is any GPX file gives this error Posted Image

#320 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

I concede defeat :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users