#261 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

In geocaching mode, occasionally I hit "Enter" to clear the box a nanosecond after it self-clears and I end up clicking "Found it" on the cache, which then goes to the screen for the next cache.  This is more than somewhat annoying. :(

That is especially annoying....The "Arriving" at box shows up when you're ripping through a parking lot towards an LPC, too.....

The beeps we turn off because they are especially annoying...

Now what would be cool is customizable noises like on cell phones so when you hit the Found button it plays something like a cool guitar riff, or the main chorus from the Hallejulah chorus, or any mp3 snippet the user wishes.....actually, Moe doing his "woop woop woop"  would be cool, too!  :D  woop woop woop!

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#262 CANINE QUEEN

CANINE QUEEN

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Tx

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

I'm not sure exactly how you are using your unit, but that message shows up briefly on my 60 and disappears quickly when I'm on the geocaching arrow page. More quickly if I'm driving than if I'm walking, but still not enough to be a bother. I think when driving it's about .3 miles when walking I think it's about 50 ft.  Either way, I just keep moving in the direction indicated previously and it goes away.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=ba9998b9-e

#263 two dog knight

two dog knight

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

Okay, got my new 60CX while I was in Tulsa.  It works great.  I learned how to download waypoints from GSAK, no problem.

While I was in Hot Springs visiting caching friends I downloaded waypoints into their Magellan for them. 

Now, I am in Sugar Land, but now I cannot download waypoints to my 60CX.

I keep getting the error message:  Garmin: Cannot initiate com3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9.  And, system cannot find file specified.

I reloaded/repaired my trip and waypoint manager using the disc received with my GPS.  Still does not work. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is it possible the Magellan has infected my Garmin :D.
I am the Two Dog Knight, and I approved this post.

#264 geohiker

geohiker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

In GSAK select GPS-->Setup

Make sure GPS Brand is set to Garmin and GPSr is USB has a check mark.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#265 two dog knight

two dog knight

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

In GSAK select GPS-->Setup

Make sure GPS Brand is set to Garmin and GPSr is USB has a check mark.

Thank you, thank you.  That was the problem.  Unfortunately for me, I knew that box had to be checked, but was to rattled to think about checking it, when I was not able to make the transfers to begin with. :-[ :-[ :-[
I am the Two Dog Knight, and I approved this post.

#266 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

Yesterday and again today I had the problem that the pointer was jumping all over the place.  It would switch from fore to aft, to sixty degrees  to 240 (these values are just illustrations).  It was bouncing all over the place.  But, the distance was always right -- that is, as I kept walking toward the cache the numbers kept falling even when the pointer said it was behind me or maybe abeam.  No matter when the pointer pointed the distance seemed to always be correct.

Does anybody have an explanation for this?

#267 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

Yesterday and again today I had the problem that the pointer was jumping all over the place.  It would switch from fore to aft, to sixty degrees  to 240 (these values are just illustrations).  It was bouncing all over the place.  But, the distance was always right -- that is, as I kept walking toward the cache the numbers kept falling even when the pointer said it was behind me or maybe abeam.  No matter when the pointer pointed the distance seemed to always be correct.

Did you have the electronic compass on? 
Posted Image

#268 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:21 PM

No, I never use it.  The compass screen is hidden.

#269 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:07 AM

No, I never use it.  The compass screen is hidden.

That is not the same thing.  The Electronic Compass may be on regardless of anything else.  It is an internal function that manifests itself by displaying on the Compass page.  You can turn the Electronic Compass off and still use the Compass page, which will actually work better without the Electronic Compass..... (because it works like a homing device...)

You can either hold the page button to turn the compass off (which also saves battery life, reportedly), or set it to only work if you're standing still for more than X seconds.  Ours is set to work if we're standing still for 3 minutes or more.... 

to do that press MENU-->Setup-->Heading

Choose "Switch to compass heading when below 0mph for more than 180 seconds"  and that might work well for you.

It has for both our units. 

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#270 jimjoandcourt

jimjoandcourt

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:42 AM

Well, I know this makes absolutely no sense, but I have discovered with mine that in areas with minimal/questionable satellite reception that what you described happens often and for me, the electronic compass setting didn't matter - I tried both.  Basically, anytime I was in a box canyon, narrow ravine or similar situation (of course, all while I was in Nevada - don't have much of those geofeatures here in Houston) I'd get the lying/bouncing pointer with distance info that didn't match. 

#271 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:47 AM

Well, it turns out I was wrong.  I just checked and the compass was on.  Something must have made it come on by itself a couple of days ago.  That must have been the problem.  Boy, that was weird behavior.  The odd thing was, sometimes it worked right then another time it would go into this bizarre behavior. 

And, I learned something.  I didn't know the compass could be on with the compass screen hidden.  That's why I didn't bother to check it when Ms Muddy Buddies suggested it might be the problem.

#272 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:06 AM

When I first got my 60CSX, Stan and I were riding down a paved trail on our bikes and his arrow was pointing straight ahead with no compass on and mine was pointing perpendicular with a compass on.  We tried recalibrating and that didn't help.  We finally figured out how to get the thing off and haven't had the problem since.  I do notice that my arrow does do a lot more swinging under tree cover than my Magellan did, but I'll live with it because close to the cache, it does a better job.  I no longer have to deal with the Magellan hook.
Posted Image

#273 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

Well, it turns out I was wrong.  I just checked and the compass was on.  Something must have made it come on by itself a couple of days ago.  That must have been the problem.  Boy, that was weird behavior.  The odd thing was, sometimes it worked right then another time it would go into this bizarre behavior. 

And, I learned something.  I didn't know the compass could be on with the compass screen hidden.  That's why I didn't bother to check it when Ms Muddy Buddies suggested it might be the problem.

It comes on automatically every time the unit is turned on, unless you've found the ultra-secret way to keep it off by default........our way of only having it go on if still for 3 minutes seems to work because we rarely sit still.......  :)

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#274 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

I do notice that my arrow does do a lot more swinging under tree cover than my Magellan did, but I'll live with it because close to the cache, it does a better job. 

I think the jumping around is because it doesn't do a running average like the Maggies did.  This is one of my major complaints with the unit.  I don't think Garmins have ever done the averaging.  All of them I've watched (which isn't many) do this jumping around.

I no longer have to deal with the Magellan hook.

This was the price you paid for the running average.  I think it's worth it in order to have a stable direction pointer.  

#275 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:44 AM

It comes on automatically every time the unit is turned on, unless you've found the ultra-secret way to keep it off by default.

Well, I don't know enough about it to do anything super secret, but the compass definitely does not come on when I turn the unit on.  This was the first time I every saw this bizarre behavior.

#276 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

It comes on automatically every time the unit is turned on, unless you've found the ultra-secret way to keep it off by default.....

I went with the KISS philosophy and bought the 60Cx - no compass, no problem.

#277 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

Good move.  Wish I had.

#278 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:20 AM

It comes on automatically every time the unit is turned on, unless you've found the ultra-secret way to keep it off by default.....

Well, at the time, no one knew the electronic compass was going to be such a PITA....that's why when TeamThung was asking us about replacing his 60Cx he got an emphatic "NO" from us because that unit is a great unit.  O0

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#279 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,325 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

If you're standing still how does the Maggie know which direction you're facing? How does avg'ing make the pointer anymore stable than a garmin? Are you sure this isn't just a false sense of stability/direction? I'm not sure I understand why you would want to avg. while you are moving not to mention the more cycles avg'ing would take. I'm sure that shortens battery life a bit.

I pay attention to the arrow/heading and the distance to cache when I'm moving . When your distance to cache matches your our EPE/Accuracy then you should really just put the unit in your pocket cause you're not going to be traveling fast enough or far enough for the pointer to really be all that effective.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#280 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:04 AM

It comes on automatically every time the unit is turned on, unless you've found the ultra-secret way to keep it off by default.

Well, I don't know enough about it to do anything super secret, but the compass definitely does not come on when I turn the unit on.  This was the first time I every saw this bizarre behavior.

I don't think it comes on everytime the unit is powered up.
We normally don't use the "compass" portion of it, just the pointer.

I think to get it to come on, you hold the "page" button for a few seconds.  Same way to get it back off.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users