#1 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:01 AM

I just got a 60CSx.

On my Maggie I can do two things that are convenient which I haven't figured out how to do on the Garmin.

1)  On the Maggie I can hide screens I don't use, so they don't get in my way when toggling between screens.  I assume the Garmin will do this, but I haven't figured out how.

2)  When sending waypoints to the Maggie GSAK has an option to delete all existing waypoints before sending the new ones.  I haven't figured out how to do this with the Garman.  That checkbox seems to be missing on the otherwise same screen????????

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:25 AM

To remove a page highlight the page, hit ENTER, select remove, press ENTER.
Posted Image

#3 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:28 AM

To remove a page highlight the page, hit ENTER, . . .

Thanks, and how do I highlight an entire page/screen?  I know how to highlight individual fields on the page, but not the entire page.

PS  How do I get the page back if I later want it?

#4 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:31 AM

Another question.

How do I set the unit to turn off after X minutes of being idle.  I forget to turn them off and the battery is used up. 

#5 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:36 AM

I just got a 60CSx.
2)  When sending waypoints to the Maggie GSAK has an option to delete all existing waypoints before sending the new ones.  I haven't figured out how to do this with the Garman.  That checkbox seems to be missing on the otherwise same screen????????

Hit Find Geocache.  Hit Menu.  Hit Delete.  You now have a menu of choices.  We usually delete the Geocache (not found) symbol only.  We delete the Geocache (found) symbol after a little longer in case we like an area and want to hide a cache nearby but want to make sure we're at least .1 away....Also, we use other symbols to notate our hides or flagged potential hiding spots....

Not sure about the power setting....looked and didn't see anything on the setup page.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#6 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:52 AM

I just got a 60CSx.

Hit Find Geocache.  Hit Menu.  Hit . . .

Does this mean GSAK can't delete them before loading the latest set?

#7 Lefty Writer

Lefty Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

Hey Thot, just out of curiosity, what made you decide to change from your SporTrak Pro?  And why a Garmin instead of another Magellan product? 
carpe cerevisi

#8 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:24 AM

Hey Thot, just out of curiosity, what made you decide to change from your SporTrak Pro?  And why a Garmin instead of another Magellan product? 

Nothing terribly sophisticated.  I read this article on the x version that indicated it gets terrific reception.  That it can pick up satellites under adverse conditions much better than older units.  I couldn't find an article comparing the new Magellans with it. 

I was very happy with the performance of my SporTrak, but I have always been annoyed with the serial connection. 

I already realize I made one mistake.  I misread something somewhere and thought it could hold more than 2000 waypoints.  Houston has something like 2300 and I wanted all of them.  Turns out I read it wrong.  It only holds 1000.  This is better than 500 but not $350 better.  :D

I'll try to remember to post my opinions after I've had time to figure out how it works.  Since I had an imaginary image of it being the absolutely perfect GPSr, right now I'm suffering the "Oh nos" on the things I didn't expect and don't like.  It's like seeing your mail order bride naked the first time.  But, I should be over this in a few weeks.

#9 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:35 AM

It's like seeing your mail order bride naked the first time.  But, I should be over this in a few weeks.

I didn't know you had a mail order bride :D :D :D
Posted Image

#10 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:13 AM

Yes, It does have a 1k "waypoint" limit, but with the POI utility you can store all those 2300+ caches with no problem as POIs.

See Dave's post here
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#11 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

Yes, It does have a 1k "waypoint" limit, but with the POI utility you can store all those 2300+ caches with no problem as POIs.

See Dave's post here

Thanks.  I'll look at that when I figure out how go to the cache nearest my house.    :laugh:

#12 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hit the find button, select geocache, hit menu select show nearest...  ;)
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#13 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

New Question:

How do I tell if WAAS has been acquired?  On the Maggie the letters "WAAS" appear on the position screen when the WAAS table has been received and is in use.

Edited for clarification

#14 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

Hit the find button, select geocache, hit menu select show nearest...  ;)

I was joking.  Sorry.

#15 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

New Question:

How do I tell if WAAS has been acquired?  On the Maggie the letters "WAAS" appear on the position screen when the WAAS table has been received and is in use.

Edited for clarification

On all Garmins (well, ok, the two we've had now) you will see a "D" at the base of the satellite reception bar...

With 10000 POIs you can load all the caches you want...but I think if they are POIs you may not get all the Geocaching functionality (like "Found" where it takes you to a "Find Next" page)

GSAK won't delete them off your GPSr.

The unit works indoors really well, btw, having forgot to turn it off when going in a restaurant for some caching food, the unit keeps reception...  it usually loses it about 150 feet or so indoors...although I have gotten reception sitting at both computers in our house when I turn it on or even through the skylight in our kitchen  :o

I think it's only lost reception outside once that I can even remember.

It holds reception well downtown besides the skyscrapers, too.

It's a Good unit!

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#16 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

On all Garmins (well, ok, the two we've had now) you will see a "D" at the base of the satellite reception bar...

Posted Image

#17 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

No, in the bars themselves...just above the numbers at the bases...they'll be a white "D"...

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#18 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

No GPSr's were hurt during this process!  :D

It's hard to get a good close-up but hopefully this will help!  O0

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#19 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

Hmmm. . .  Wonder why it puts the D each bar?  The main satellites don't send the WAAS data.

#20 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:46 PM

Perhaps it means the algo is interpolating from each satellite's fix....thus creating more accuracy...that would be my guess...

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users