#1061 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

I also post this:  Hello my fellow geocachers! A good group of us well-meaning cachers including the SETX Rep of the Texas Geocaching Association are trying our best to urge local cache owners to bring their caches up to snuff. I really enjoy finding local caches. Could you take a look at the cache(s) needing maintenance, or do like I do - simply archive them until I can build new ones. Thanks folks and keep caching.

I know it will make some folks mad, but taking 3 months to repair a cache is a bit excessive, I would think and in an area as big as Houston/Beaumont, this could mean there are  50  279 broken caches waiting on the CO to repair them.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 14 May 2014 - 06:31 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#1062 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

Thanks Bert for reminding me to archive Sleeper Cells.  I had taken all the elements of the cache down in Jan with the intent of archiving it, but I had forgotten to (or more likely - was loathe to actually kill it outright).  I had fun building the cache and reading the logs, so I guess I was a bit slow to actually pull the trigger.   Call me sentimental.

Your note also encouraged me to archive my remaining caches as they are simply not getting much run any longer.  It's something I've been considering for a while, but this was the impetus I needed.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#1063 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

Whew!  I do not know when I post these innocuous reminders if I am going to piss someone off.  I practice what I preach as do others.  If one of my caches becomes a troubled child, I simply archive it and look for a new place to put one.

• Jhawk! likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#1064 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

I hate to see folks archive caches just because they no longer receive much activity.  The whole point of the LSLF list is to encourage people to find those gems.  The archival of lost and abandoned caches is simply an offshoot of that and, frankly, becomes the focus a little too often.

• green-eyed likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#1065 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

I hate to see folks archive caches just because they no longer receive much activity.  The whole point of the LSLF list is to encourage people to find those gems.  The archival of lost and abandoned caches is simply an offshoot of that and, frankly, becomes the focus a little too often.

Sorry, boss. I've been hunkered down for 4 weeks on a big project, so I haven't had time to go look for any of them. Since I'm on loan for this project, they've promised me my very own tape measure at the end of the project. I bet it's a 12-foot tape measure...  :)

• Dhaulaghiri and Jhawk! like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#1066 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

I hate to see folks archive caches just because they no longer receive much activity. The whole point of the LSLF list is to encourage people to find those gems. The archival of lost and abandoned caches is simply an offshoot of that and, frankly, becomes the focus a little too often.

Sorry, boss. I've been hunkered down for 4 weeks on a big project, so I haven't had time to go look for any of them. Since I'm on loan for this project, they've promised me my very own tape measure at the end of the project. I bet it's a 12-foot tape measure... :)

Hmmmm wonder what we can measure that might be 12' long? :o
Posted Image

#1067 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

Did they say what color it would be?

Posted Image

#1068 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,375 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:56 AM

So how long is that 12' tape measure?   :2funny:

• Jhawk! likes this
Posted Image

#1069 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

No idea, but I bet the numbers on it will be RED.
  • Mustard Devil likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#1070 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

No idea, but I bet the numbers on it will be RED.

Can you measure kayaks with it? :)

#1071 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

I understand Larry. I've always appreciated the list you maintain and in the past was active to nab those older caches.  It was fun finding caches which hadn't been found in such a long time. I hope you continue it.  

At some point, however, I'd rather archive them then maintain them.  I kept them for a while after I moved, just because they were among my favorites.  

BB's somewhat self-righteous note (no matter how well intentioned) was just the final push I needed to close them down and open up the area for LPCs and shrubbery caches.

• Mustard Devil, Baytown Bert and TexasWriter like this

#1072 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

I guess it's a matter of perspective. I hate offending anyone and in a perfect world, everyone would love me and I would love them and we'd never offend each other. But in this instance I agree with Bert I'm afraid. If I can't maintain one of my caches I will either adopt it out or shut it down. In my area of town it's particularly important because the area is a bit saturated and many of them haven't been found in a year or more or are in areas that are being bulldozed for more subdivisions. I don't think it's necessarily self-righteous... just a little nudge to do what needs to be done. Just my opinion though... I know they are a dime a dozen! ;-)

• TexasWriter, Dhaulaghiri and GASTX like this
img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#1073 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

PR's been busy!  He disabled or archived 23 long-forgotten caches on the list in the last 24 hours!

Now I know why he hasn't published my new caches.  He's been doing other things for the last seven eight days...

• TexasWriter and Dhaulaghiri like this
Posted Image

#1074 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

Is there a time limit associated with how long you can "Unlike" something that you accidentally liked? I don't get the option on something I accidentally liked two days ago.

#1075 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

Some of this discussion smacks of Home Owner Association's. And, while I know HOA's are well-meaning, in principle, they can get carried away and get things wrong. ( "you have planted tulips instead of pansies in your front bed without our consent, or ...uh oh, they didn't like our shade of redwood stain on our backyard fence...but I digress)

Sometimes, there are really good explanations for caches to be disabled for lengthy periods of time, exceeding 3 months. Dangerous construction near GZ is one reason. Permits and permission are another. Temporary lack of easy access is another. I'm sure there are more legitimate reasons. If it's a good spot, I don't want to risk losing it by archiving! People need to suck it up and wait in these cases.

Please keep these possibilities in mind before you post a "needs archived" log entry, or go writing love letters on disabled caches. And, for the love of everything Geocaching, please read the whole description and all of the logs for an explanation before you post a nasty gram.

The loss of even one well-meaning CO over a misunderstanding is a terrible price to pay.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#1076 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Within 60 miles of my house are 276 disabled caches.  of the 276, 4/5's of them have been disabled more than a month.  

Politely asking the CO to take a look at them (with a NOTE) 3 months after they disabled them should not be offensive to any reasonable CO, IMO.  However, some folks see what they want to see, as we all know.  The truth is it is just a game, but if you place a cache, you are responsible to maintain it in a timely manner or post an occasional note so other cachers will understand the reason it is still disabled.  YMMV

If you do not maintain your caches, you are hardly contributing to the game regardless of how many caches and numbers you put up on the web site.  Again, YMMV and I write this as unrighteously as I can.  :2funny:

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#1077 Hoosier Ranger

Hoosier Ranger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHeritage Grand, Katy, TX

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

I received a note to archive or take a look at GC33T3M which I've had temporarily disabled since February. There is a legitimate reason for this cache to be disabled and it was clearly explained just under the note requesting that I archive the cache. Well meaning or not, if I am to take a "look at" my cache, perhaps those requesting I archive it could "look at" the CO's explanation for temporarily disabling it before sending him/her such requests. Reading my seven logged visits will clearly show that I have been monitoring this geocache.
  • green-eyed likes this

#1078 fendmar

fendmar

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationFort Bend

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

Did Houston get a new reviewer? :what???:  :shocking:  :coolsmiley:    :teasing: :notme:    :startled:  :tickedoff:  :NTN:

img.aspx?txt=Found+it!!!&uid=1c1e1810-fd thumb_blueprint.jpg 13475.gif

Houston.gif

#1079 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

Here's a question I would ask before I got defensive and posted something on this forum about this issue and let me say, I posted a NOTE, not a NEEDS ARCHIVED attribute asking to simply update the status of the cache.

Would you rather have a fellow geocacher inquire about your cache or the Prime Reviewer step in and archive it? 

There was nothing malicious whatsoever in my inquiry.  With almost 300 caches disabled in the Houston area, something needs to be done.  We've discussed it ad nauseum on this forum and I am but one of quite a few who are actively attempting to ask CO's to bring their caches up to snuff or post a note at least once a month to let other cachers know when to expect maintenance.  Going almost a hundred days in between maintenance logs seems a bit excessive to me, but obviously not to some CO's who feel a question is offensive and intrusive.  Geeze, it's just a fricken game.  :smitten:

• GASTX likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#1080 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

I'm feeling a lot of love in this room. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users