#781 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

We did a cache a few years ago that had me sticking my arm into a stump hole and the cache was inside a vinyl snake!

I pulled it out and tossed it at Rhonda while yelling "Snake!". The next hour or so was not good for me...

If I tried a stunt like that, I would be sleeping on the couch for at least a month... If she wouldn't outright divorce me right then, right there.

Mrs. Dhaulaghiri is terrified of snakes.

Well, in this case, the counter attack was a shock and awe situation. It was fast and furious with her GPS and feet but by the end of the day, I had pretty much regained consciousness.

• KeyResults likes this

#782 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

FTFC #83 was a tough bushwack.  There is sort of a trail to about the last 100', then it took about 20 minutes to go those last 100', and then circling around to the other side of the brush pile.

um... yeah... so I know I should have waited til it froze over to search for it, but powerdog02 and I attempted FTFC 83 this evening.   could not get to it... I have the puzzle solved, but it wasn't happening.  log is a great read.

didn't see anything even remotely resembling a trail or clearing where I was when I turned around.  Bunch of downed trees in the way from the "clear" portion we were in.  We might try again later when the mosquitos aren't nearly as thick.

I seem to remember the start of a trail a hundred or so feet to the north.  It wound around next to a creek, then I had to cross over a fallen log to cross the creek.  From there is was pure bushwack.

Posted Image

#783 Rambetta

Rambetta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

Why don't we make a group promise this September to bombard these caches, especially the CO abandoned ones and replace or archive blast them? It's looking like a graveyard out there and these are just the 121 that are over two years. Which is the closest to Baytown, HC...the Cut series?

If they are missing for sure and have lots of DNF's or are clearly gone.  Don't replace them......Request to be Archived and Send PR a note with the cache number etc and say the same.  That's my secret.  He is quick to respond as noted by HC.

I've done this before and it works as advertised.

#784 Rambetta

Rambetta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

I contacted the CO for "The Cut" series, in Liberty. He said that he checked on 'a few' of them several months ago, and they were still there. He gave me the  'ok' for maintenance on the rest, SO .... skipper - Mr.Butch, Trea, Geojrh and I are heading up there (to get them off the LSLF list) in about an hour.

• HoustonControl and ohl hockey guy like this

#785 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

didn't see anything even remotely resembling a trail or clearing where I was when I turned around.  Bunch of downed trees in the way from the "clear" portion we were in.  We might try again later when the mosquitos aren't nearly as thick.

I seem to remember the start of a trail a hundred or so feet to the north.  It wound around next to a creek, then I had to cross over a fallen log to cross the creek.  From there is was pure bushwack.

so my first instinct was correct... but i had to abandon it with the swarm of mossies trying to bleed us dry.  we'll go back when they die back some and try that way again.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#786 Rambetta

Rambetta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

I contacted the CO for "The Cut" series, in Liberty. He said that he checked on 'a few' of them several months ago, and they were still there. He gave me the  'ok' for maintenance on the rest, SO .... skipper - Mr.Butch, Trea, Geojrh and I are heading up there (to get them off the LSLF list) in about(could an hour.

These can be deleted from the list. 

Nice little series, Steep boat ramp, close parking. Pretty area, but could definitely be the site of a CITO. 

Mullet jumping all around. Weeds, stickers and PI at most of the locations. Must exit watercraft, with short walk, for all - water was nice and clear this morning. Had a good time.

And the 'mossies' were there too.....

• Baytown Bert likes this

#787 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

You guys are awesome!

TXGA SETX Representative

#788 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

FTFC #57 - City Skylines (GC1JEP0) probably should have been on the list. I went out and found it today. There were two finds posted by some area kids for this cache on 3/4/2012, but their names were not in the log book, and they are really young kids. Even if they had found it, this one would've been on the next run of the list if I'm not mistaken since it's now just over 18 months since the last (likely bogus) find. Larry Ryan's name was the last one in the log book, and that actual find was back on 10/9/2010. Either way, this one just got saved from being on the list.

• KeyResults likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#789 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

FTFC #57 - City Skylines (GC1JEP0) probably should have been on the list. I went out and found it today. There were two finds posted by some area kids for this cache on 3/4/2012, but their names were not in the log book, and they are really young kids. Even if they had found it, this one would've been on the next run of the list if I'm not mistaken since it's now just over 18 months since the last (likely bogus) find. Larry Ryan's name was the last one in the log book, and that actual find was back on 10/9/2010. Either way, this one just got saved from being on the list.

Sorry, just remembered that a cache has to have not been found for two years, not 18 months. I was remembering incorrectly. Doesn't change that the last actual find was a month shy of 3 years, but the bogus logs don't reflect that. Anyway, just correctly my error in saying it would've been picked up on the next run of the list.

#790 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Maybe in time, with all the PR action of late and the Cut being found, this list will shrink so much the list can go back to 18 months.

Posted Image

#791 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Maybe in time, with all the PR action of late and the Cut being found, this list will shrink so much the list can go back to 18 months.

So it used to be 18 months? I thought someone had told me it was 18 months about a year ago, but I never read Larry's opening blurb at the top until this morning and that it said two years.

#792 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Thought it used to be a year, then 18 months and then 2 years because there were just too many.  Now that the real junk is getting filtered out and off soon and we're getting to caches that just have not been found... 2 years will be small.  But who knows about 18 months.  That will bring in a lot more, I'm sure.   So we'll just have to e-mail PR more and clear that out, too.

Posted Image

#793 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

I sent PR another one in Tomball this morning that needs archiving, and I asked a CO in my area to confirm one that hadn't been found in almost two years. He confirmed it missing, archived it, and archived a whole bunch more in the area that hadn't made it to the list yet but were in need of maintenance and/or were missing. I'm totally pumped that we're finally getting things cleaned up around Houston. I've heard several newbies lament searching for missing caches, and it makes me wonder how much missing caches affect the longevity of newer cachers overall. It has to have some sort of impact.

• heftydude and KeyResults like this

#794 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

It started as a year, then went to 18 months, and finally two years.  The list kept getting so long and filled with missing and abandoned caches that I figured (wrongly) that stretching it out to two years would give PR plenty of time to archive the missing ones before they made the list.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#795 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Here is my post from Feb of 2007, the first one where I listed all enabled caches not found in 12 months, regardless of the number of DNF's, etc.  There were 18 caches on the list.

If I used the same criteria now, by my estimation, there would be 539 caches on the list.

Update on long unfound caches.  Through the end of January, there were 18 unarchived, enabled caches within a 50 mile radius of downtown Houston that have not been found in over 12 months.  They are:

Whistle While You Cache GCKV2V - last found on 2/17/05 by BMcNallen with 2 DNF's since then.
Thorolfur's Treasure GCM9VJ - last found on 4/23/05 by EBandM.
Power to the People GCM1VT - last found on 10/8/05 by Tx_Secsy & Jeff.
CrossWorlds GCHZVX - last found on 12/4/05 by GrangerFam
MTP1K: Bonus GCRM1P - last found on 12/22/05 by MedTexPlacer.
Elementary, My Dear Watson! GCPHCY - last found on 12/26/05 by GrangerFam.
CHIN GI GCRN9E - last found on 1/2/06 by MedTexPlacer.
Trog's Travels GCGY0H - last found on 1/4/06 by JummyEv.
Circumcenter GCGCX1 - last found on 1/7/06 by Warthog12.
SOS RELAY GCMQR5 - last found on 1/7/06 by Muddy Buddies with 2 DNF's since then.
De Astutia GCN1AN - last found on 1/7/06 by Muddy Buddies.
Map Skills 101, Freshman Year GCRHJ0 - last found on 1/8/06 by skammer.
FTFC #14 - A Tribute Cache GCR3PW - last found on 1/10/06 by Love2Fly.
ANCITW #5 GCND8M - last found on 1/14/06 by PPRubens.
Damage Control GCR827 - last found on 1/18/06 by MAES.
Lake Conroe PWC Tour #2 GCPNCQ - last found on 1/18/06 by silverado rocket.
Sugar Land Safari GCGA9N - last found on 1/21/06 by Warthog12.
Movie Mania GCT33E - last found on 1/28/06 by Muddy Buddies with 3 DNF's since then (two in the last week).

Now off the list:
WTT-B2 recently found Lil Johnny's Chart GCKQX6 which had gone unfound for 16 months!

Cache on!

#796 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Here is my post from Feb of 2007, the first one where I listed all enabled caches not found in 12 months, regardless of the number of DNF's, etc. There were 18 caches on the list.

If I used the same criteria now, by my estimation, there would be 539 caches on the list.

Update on long unfound caches. Through the end of January, there were 18 unarchived, enabled caches within a 50 mile radius of downtown Houston that have not been found in over 12 months. They are:Whistle While You Cache GCKV2V - last found on 2/17/05 by BMcNallen with 2 DNF's since then.Thorolfur's Treasure GCM9VJ - last found on 4/23/05 by EBandM.Power to the People GCM1VT - last found on 10/8/05 by Tx_Secsy & Jeff.CrossWorlds GCHZVX - last found on 12/4/05 by GrangerFamMTP1K: Bonus GCRM1P - last found on 12/22/05 by MedTexPlacer.Elementary, My Dear Watson! GCPHCY - last found on 12/26/05 by GrangerFam.CHIN GI GCRN9E - last found on 1/2/06 by MedTexPlacer.Trog's Travels GCGY0H - last found on 1/4/06 by JummyEv.Circumcenter GCGCX1 - last found on 1/7/06 by Warthog12.SOS RELAY GCMQR5 - last found on 1/7/06 by Muddy Buddies with 2 DNF's since then.De Astutia GCN1AN - last found on 1/7/06 by Muddy Buddies.Map Skills 101, Freshman Year GCRHJ0 - last found on 1/8/06 by skammer.FTFC #14 - A Tribute Cache GCR3PW - last found on 1/10/06 by Love2Fly.ANCITW #5 GCND8M - last found on 1/14/06 by PPRubens.Damage Control GCR827 - last found on 1/18/06 by MAES.Lake Conroe PWC Tour #2 GCPNCQ - last found on 1/18/06 by silverado rocket.Sugar Land Safari GCGA9N - last found on 1/21/06 by Warthog12.Movie Mania GCT33E - last found on 1/28/06 by Muddy Buddies with 3 DNF's since then (two in the last week).
Now off the list:
WTT-B2 recently found Lil Johnny's Chart GCKQX6 which had gone unfound for 16 months!
Cache on!

Just curious if you know if any of these 18 are still active ?
Posted Image

#797 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

I clicked on two of them and they still are active.

Posted Image

#798 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Elementary, My Dear Watson!, De Astutia, Trog's Travels, and Sugar Land Safari are all still active.

#799 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think with all the changes to this list already this month you need to generate a mid month report!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#800 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

But most won't have anything till after the 30 +/- days with no response from CO.  I'd run it again Mid October and think you'll see major changes.  Even from the October report.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users