1197 replies to this topic

#201 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,779 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

...and if you think about posting that "other" pic of me you'll have to answer to my wife... :D

Oooo, Oooo!  Let me!!!!   :D :D :D

I'm not sure TPB (Mrs. TFP) has quite forgiven me for the last time I did that.  Even though the picture was only up for about 4 nanoseconds....

The hawk was probable 14-16 inches, beak to tailfeathers.  I flipped it over and got a picture of the top side too that I can post later.  I feel certain it is a Red-Shouldered Hawk, after seeing the picture on the globalraptors site.

I hope you didn't touch it with your hands (bird-flu precautions).

That pic of GQ must be after his exposure to "Great Stuff"
Posted Image

#202 The Full House 5

The Full House 5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

Looks like a Red-Shouldered Hawk

http://www.globalrap...ookup.asp?lid=2

Agreed!  O0

#203 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:06 PM

...I hope you didn't touch it with your hands (bird-flu precautions).

I flipped the bird (pardon the pun) with the end of my handy-dandy $9.99 Walmart caching/treking pole -- which I later touched with my hands to collapse it.  :o

Funny, I've been feeling a little feverish and headachy today...  :-[
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#204 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

...I hope you didn't touch it with your hands (bird-flu precautions).

I flipped the bird (pardon the pun) with the end of my handy-dandy $9.99 Walmart caching/treking pole -- which I later touched with my hands to collapse it.   :o

Funny, I've been feeling a little feverish and headachy today...  :-[

Save that excuse up for Easter weekend.  :angel:
Posted Image

#205 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

As promised...the flipped bird.
Posted Image

Other than being stiff, he (she?) didn't seem like he'd been dead long...

#206 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

That's the kind of hawk we saw today trying to haul off a squirrel at this cache GC18DNW The logs explain it all.

#207 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

March Update:
Since the last update, 2 caches on the list were found, 1 was temporarily disabled, and 12 more were added to the list.  As of February 29th, there were 38 active caches within a 50 mile radius of downtown Houston that have not been found in over 12 months (2 of which haven't been found in over 2 years!).  They are:

• ANCITW #5 GCND8M - last found on 1/14/06 by PPRubens, with two DNF's since.  I looked for this one as well, but couldn't find it.
  • Far Side GCM9JV - last found on 2/5/06 by GrangerFam.
  • Swamp Treasure GCT8JV - last found 5/21/06 by Monkey's Uncle.
  • Mlaapum mlaapum to GCG8R1 - last found on 6/2/06 by Sadinga with four DNF's since.  This one is most likely missing.
  • Pearl Lake GCJ4PC - last found on 7/3/06 by GrangerFam with a recent DNF by Team Tulip, who reports that the cache is "definitely gone". 
  • Boggy Bayou Basin GCKAGH - last found on 7/8/06 by GrangerFam.
  • Jack's Pocket Cache (aka Mudfrog's Nemesis) GCGQPM - last found on 8/6/06 by ComicBookCacher.  This cache has had exactly 2 finds in the 4 years since it has been placed.  Mudfrog reports that it may be missing.
  • Trees of Oak Lake GCRRVM - last found on 9/2/06 by nitemonster.
  • Doggie Paddle Island GCNRM1 - last found on 9/3/06 by KingwoodGeo.
  • Little Johnny's Sight GCT47K - last found on 9/10/06 by Muddy Buddies.  Drew8 recently tried it and couldn't find the cache, though Capt. J reports he had the right solution.
  • Cypress Creek Walk #4 GCG4YZ - last found on 9/17/06 by kokopellitoki and cpadgett13, with 3 DNF's since.  OSC reports it to be a goner for certain.
  • Keep It Constant GCTP04 - last found on 9/28/06 by HoustonControl with six DNF's since.  I went back to the area recently and couldn't find it.
  • Timbergrove Manor GCRWDF - last found on 10/15/06 with 5 DNF's since.
  • BELLAIRE CHRISTMAS CACHE GCHDPJ - last found on 10/29/06 by stcymcc with 5 DNF's since.  I was the last to try for this one a few weeks ago.  Depending on the cache container and accuracy of the coords, I guess it's possible it could still be in there somewhere amongst the bamboo.
  • King Kong Lives! GCTMBR - last found on 11/18/06 by Team Blacklist.
  • Where? GCZRR8 - was last found on 12/21/06 by Woodpicker, Mudfrog, BizzyB, tuba_dude, and Ribbitz.
  • Cedar Hill on Charlotte GCNXBH - was last found on 12/24/06 by CacheCow_Queen with 2 DNF's since.
  • Pelican P** Island GCY42F - was last (and first) found on 12/27/06 by MooseTrainer.  Only one find in the 16 months since the cache was published!
  • Armand Bayou GC11EE - was last found on 1/1/07 by zepfam with two DNF's since.
  • Lil Johnny the Quartermaster GCM39N - was last found on 1/5/07 by Sharpbiker.
  • Working Title GCXZ2R - was last found on 1/7/07 by GrangerFam with two DNF's since.
  • Duck Hunter's Cache GC212F - was last found on 1/13/07 by TeamZZ.
  • the lone ranger GCW3BH - was last found on 1/19/07 by The Popeteers with 2 DNF's since.
  • OVERDUE GCH97J - was last found on 1/28/07 by Pepper.
  • Time's a Wastin' GCMA2X - was last found on 1/28/07 by GrangerFam.
  • Crazy Ivan's Rescue Call GCT47M - was last found on 1/29/07 by WTT-B2.  The word on the street is there will be an attack on this and other Kingwood/Atascosita puzzle caches soon!
  • PICTURE THIS GCH59J - was last found on 2/3/07 by a whole bunch of people at the Love and Geocaching event.  I guess Parkerplus needs to get out more!
  • the long walk IVGCWAP2 - last found on 2/3/07 by Futurepilot4U720 and Texas Tahoe Tigers, with 14 DNF's since!  I see PR disabled it today.
  • Pigg in a Poke GCEFE3 - was last found on 2/3/07 by Larry53 with 3 DNF's since.
  • Thorolfur's Treasure GCM9VJ - was last found on 2/9/07 by WTT-B2, a day after I found it (stalker!).
  • The Spot We Found! GCH97J - was last found on 2/9/07 by Benttandem.  I believe this cache was previously known as "Chance Encounter"
  • Aggie Traditions  GCTAKB - was last found on 2/9/07 by WTT-B2.
  • "Oldies but Goodies" GCV5VJ - was last found on 2/11/07 by Muddy Buddies.
  • Sadie, Sadie - Geocaching Lady GCD540 - was last found on 2/17/07 by OHL Hockey Guy and family.
  • RIP # 2 - Fritsche GCR2TY - was last found on 2/18/07 by Skyfire & RandomConfusion.
  • X Doesn't Mark the Spot!  GCX2D9 - was last found on 2/18/07 by Muddy Buddies.
  • Software Library Multicache GCZHJM - was last found on 2/18/07 by Muddy Buddies.
  • Keith-Weiss GCH97J - was last found on 2/25/07 by Muddy Buddies with one DNF since.

[color=blue]
Now off the list:
  • [color=blue]Trog's Travels GCGY0H was found on February 6th by MEEEE!!!, 25 months since the last find.  The cache is still in good shape!
  • [color=blue]Rustic Country Home GCP90Y was found on February 25th by JNCz, after a two-year lull.

Other changes since the last update:
The Bitter End GCHGY7 has been temporarily disabled.

Also, I hated to see that Magnolia Tree GC1A61 was archived due to no response from the owners.  This was one of the oldest caches in our area.

#208 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:38 AM

Sadly, the list is turning into a list of poorly maintained caches.  I'm still checking it out to see if there are some I want to do, but I see way too many multiple DNFs.

I sent a message to Nitemonster for Lone Ranger and Long Walk IV and asked if Glimmermore was still caching, who owns Trees of Oak Lake.

Both are nice folks, but I suppose they could have just fallen out of caching for a while.

#209 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

Sadly, the list is turning into a list of poorly maintained caches.  I'm still checking it out to see if there are some I want to do, but I see way too many multiple DNFs.

I sent a message to Nitemonster for Lone Ranger and Long Walk IV and asked if Glimmermore was still caching, who owns Trees of Oak Lake.

Both are nice folks, but I suppose they could have just fallen out of caching for a while.

Yeah, the list is getting longer and longer and a lot of the one's at the top are just flat missing and probably should be archived.  I've struggled with leaving some of those off the list, but I'm not sure what criteria I should use. :-\

#210 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

March Update:
Since the last update, 2 caches on the list were found, 1 was temporarily disabled, and 12 more were added to the list.  As of February 29th, there were 38 active caches within a 50 mile radius of downtown Houston that have not been found in over 12 months (2 of which haven't been found in over 2 years!).  They are:

[

• Crazy Ivan's Rescue Call GCT47M - was last found on 1/29/07 by WTT-B2.  The word on the street is there will be an attack on this and other Kingwood/Atascosita puzzle caches soon!

Today Georeynozos, TerraTrekkers and I found Crazy Ivan's Rescue Call so you can take that one off the list. Ivan's "home" is still there but in a resting position instead of upright. The cache owner told me not to be scared off of the puzzle when I contacted him about something else, so I took a look. It really isn't as hard as it looks. Well worth the time and effort. The other puzzles are going to have to wait for another day, unfortunately. We ran out of time today.

#211 carolyn247

carolyn247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:04 AM

March Update:

[

Today Georeynozos, TerraTrekkers and I found Crazy Ivan's Rescue Call so you can take that one off the list. Ivan's "home" is still there but in a resting position instead of upright. The cache owner told me not to be scared off of the puzzle when I contacted him about something else, so I took a look. It really isn't as hard as it looks. Well worth the time and effort. The other puzzles are going to have to wait for another day, unfortunately. We ran out of time today.

WTG Kirbydox, Georeynozo, and TerraTrekkers!  Good job!

#212 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

March Update:

• ANCITW #5 GCND8M - last found on 1/14/06 by PPRubens, with two DNF's since.  I looked for this one as well, but couldn't find it.
  • Mlaapum mlaapum to GCG8R1 - last found on 6/2/06 by Sadinga with four DNF's since.  This one is most likely missing.
  • Pearl Lake GCJ4PC - last found on 7/3/06 by GrangerFam with a recent DNF by Team Tulip, who reports that the cache is "definitely gone". 
  • Jack's Pocket Cache (aka Mudfrog's Nemesis) GCGQPM - last found on 8/6/06 by ComicBookCacher.  This cache has had exactly 2 finds in the 4 years since it has been placed.  Mudfrog reports that it may be missing.
  • Little Johnny's Sight GCT47K - last found on 9/10/06 by Muddy Buddies.  Drew8 recently tried it and couldn't find the cache, though Capt. J reports he had the right solution.
  • Cypress Creek Walk #4 GCG4YZ - last found on 9/17/06 by kokopellitoki and cpadgett13, with 3 DNF's since.  OSC reports it to be a goner for certain.
  • Keep It Constant GCTP04 - last found on 9/28/06 by HoustonControl with six DNF's since.  I went back to the area recently and couldn't find it.
  • BELLAIRE CHRISTMAS CACHE GCHDPJ - last found on 10/29/06 by stcymcc with 5 DNF's since.  I was the last to try for this one a few weeks ago.  Depending on the cache container and accuracy of the coords, I guess it's possible it could still be in there somewhere amongst the bamboo.
  • Where? GCZRR8 - was last found on 12/21/06 by Woodpicker, Mudfrog, BizzyB, tuba_dude, and Ribbitz.
  • Cedar Hill on Charlotte GCNXBH - was last found on 12/24/06 by CacheCow_Queen with 2 DNF's since.
  • Pelican P** Island GCY42F - was last (and first) found on 12/27/06 by MooseTrainer.  Only one find in the 16 months since the cache was published!
  • Armand Bayou GC11EE - was last found on 1/1/07 by zepfam with two DNF's since.
  • Working Title GCXZ2R - was last found on 1/7/07 by GrangerFam with two DNF's since.
  • the lone ranger GCW3BH - was last found on 1/19/07 by The Popeteers with 2 DNF's since.
  • PICTURE THIS GCH59J - was last found on 2/3/07 by a whole bunch of people at the Love and Geocaching event.  I guess Parkerplus needs to get out more!
  • the long walk IVGCWAP2 - last found on 2/3/07 by Futurepilot4U720 and Texas Tahoe Tigers, with 14 DNF's since!  I see PR disabled it today.
  • Pigg in a Poke GCEFE3 - was last found on 2/3/07 by Larry53 with 3 DNF's since.
  • Thorolfur's Treasure GCM9VJ - was last found on 2/9/07 by WTT-B2, a day after I found it (stalker!).
  • The Spot We Found! GCH97J - was last found on 2/9/07 by Benttandem.  I believe this cache was previously known as "Chance Encounter"
  • Sadie, Sadie - Geocaching Lady GCD540 - was last found on 2/17/07 by OHL Hockey Guy and family.
  • RIP # 2 - Fritsche GCR2TY - was last found on 2/18/07 by Skyfire & RandomConfusion.
  • X Doesn't Mark the Spot!  GCX2D9 - was last found on 2/18/07 by Muddy Buddies.
  • Software Library Multicache GCZHJM - was last found on 2/18/07 by Muddy Buddies.
  • Keith-Weiss GCH97J - was last found on 2/25/07 by Muddy Buddies with one DNF since.

[color=blue]
Now off the list:
  • [color=blue]Trog's Travels GCGY0H was found on February 6th by MEEEE!!!, 25 months since the last find.  The cache is still in good shape!
  • [color=blue]Rustic Country Home GCP90Y was found on February 25th by JNCz, after a two-year lull.

Also, I hated to see that Magnolia Tree GC1A61 was archived due to no response from the owners.  This was one of the oldest caches in our area.

Well HC, you can take this one off the list as I found it today-
Lil Johnny the Quartermaster GCM39N - was last found on 1/5/07 by Sharpbiker.

Zephyr

#213 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

Zephyr

Way to go Lisa!  I see you also found Hypnerotomachia today, which had gone 6 months without a hit.  That's a tough puzzle!

#214 TeamThung

TeamThung

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationWhere Ever The GPSr or Lifesized TB Takes Us

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

This is kinda of on the subject but not.

Our cache: Knot There

Was found by Cub Scouts of the same elementary our daughter attends.

Just really stoked that the Pack Leader took them to do something so great together as a Pack. I remember doing such great things while in Cub/Boy Scouts.

Just wanted to share.

#215 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:00 AM

Zephyr

Way to go Lisa!  I see you also found Hypnerotomachia today, which had gone 6 months without a hit.  That's a tough puzzle!

Yeah, trying to knock out the rest of El Franko Park.  And actually I thought hypernotomachia was pretty easy--nothing like all these FTF puzzles you guys put out so us blondes don't stand  a chance!  :'( :laugh: :laugh:
Zephyr

#216 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:51 PM

March Update:

[color=blue]
Now off the list:

Yesterday Georeynozos and I looked for Aggie Traditions  GCTAKB but didn't find it. Right after we logged the DNF the owners archived the cache - they are moving out of the area - so I guess that's another one off the list.

#217 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

This is kinda of on the subject but not.

Our cache: Knot There

Was found by Cub Scouts of the same elementary our daughter attends.

Just really stoked that the Pack Leader took them to do something so great together as a Pack. I remember doing such great things while in Cub/Boy Scouts.

Just wanted to share.

I can't imagine a pack caching together. A den would be hard enough.  We've tried it with 3 boys, and that was trying enough.  FORGET about stealth!

#218 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

Reading this reminds me... Anyone remember those group caching trips at GeoWoodstock? I cant help but feel guilty thinking we went to one cache with that heard. The word stealth was outlawed as about 45 people trampled the earth going for one poor cache in a golf ball.
One was all we could stand and we were out of there into a less insane group of 5.

#219 AggieJWP

AggieJWP

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, Texas

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

Reading this reminds me... Anyone remember those group caching trips at GeoWoodstock? I cant help but feel guilty thinking we went to one cache with that heard. The word stealth was outlawed as about 45 people trampled the earth going for one poor cache in a golf ball.
One was all we could stand and we were out of there into a less insane group of 5.

haha, kind of like WWFM 2 at BRP, we all just stood around for like 10 minutes before the event at the spot. I'm sure it was weird to others, but when their are more cachers than any other groups it seems funny.

#220 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

That was a riot.  A caravan of 12-15 cars speeding down the freeway frontage road, then all pulling off at the same spot to descend on a cache.  I got my name in some caches I never even saw.  Glad we split off when we met up with you guys.

The night cache to end the run was interesting too.  I think we ended up with 3 groups of 10-12 cachers each, running around in the woods, flashlights blazing every which way.  There was one lady in our group with a nasally yankee accent who kept screaming at her kids.  You could hear her a mile away!  Forget stealth on that one!

Trying for a few midnight caches with Mr. and Mrs. KandRS on the way back to their car was the funnest part of that whole outing.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users