1152 replies to this topic

#1 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

Well I went out today and found a cache (GCMHHM) that had not been found in a while. Actually it hadn't been found since November 3, 2005. Yes 2005. 14 Months. The cache has actually been archived due to the lack of tender loving care by its owner. Turns out, based on reading logs, that the owner was misled into thinking the cache was muggled. He then temp. disabled it. After not getting to it PA archived the cache. I didn't actually look at the page I just went to the coords I had. Bingo... walked right up to it. The cache now needs some lovin' as things are wet but it is still in good shape and the locatio is nice.

Now my real question is what is the greatest gap between one of your finds and the last one on the cache?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

OHG
I've actually got all the clues for the one you speak of, but never went after it because it was archived before we attempted it. It's good to know it's still out there.

I found one of Bosun's cache Ship's Bell I the same way you are talking about. Reading the logs at the time I decided to go look for it and lo and behold it was still there. I found it on 7/17/06 and it hadn't been found since 3/25/05, 16 months had gone by. I sent a note to PA but he replied it was the cache owner's choice to unarchive it. I sent a note to the owner but never got a reply

WTT

Posted Image

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:46 PM

Well I went out today and found a cache (GCMHHM) that had not been found in a while. Actually it hadn't been found since November 3, 2005. Yes 2005. 14 Months. The cache has actually been archived due to the lack of tender loving care by its owner. Turns out, based on reading logs, that the owner was misled into thinking the cache was muggled. He then temp. disabled it. After not getting to it PA archived the cache. I didn't actually look at the page I just went to the coords I had. Bingo... walked right up to it. The cache now needs some lovin' as things are wet but it is still in good shape and the locatio is nice.

Now my real question is what is the greatest gap between one of your finds and the last one on the cache?

I think this is a bonus cache and several of the clue micros are archived.
Posted Image

#4 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationJust Off Bellaire Chinatown

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:32 PM

Same problem here.  Recently, I tried my best to salvage Bosun's "Anchors Aweight" through e-mails to the owner and posts to the cache.  It got archived by the PA because of inaction.  ...seems like he has lost interest.  Sad.  :'(

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

And for some reason, GCMHHM's owner kind of dropped off the geocaching radar.  He hasn't logged in since November.

I found OIL! GCK3HN  by One of the Texas Vikings a couple weeks ago and it hadn't been logged since July of 2005.  Some muggles found it in Nov '05 and signed the log book, but never logged it online.  Of course then WTT-B2 came behind me and found it a few days later.  I think he follows me sometimes... ???

When I found Time's a Wastin' (GCMA2X) back in November, it had gone unfound for 21 months. :o  Then WTT-B2 came behind me and found that one too.  I think I see a pattern forming here. ::)

Your kind of stealing my thunder, so here goes.  I have been planning on starting a feature here on HGCS to keep track of area caches that have gone unfound for the longest time and to highlight local cachers when they finally log one of these elusive gems.  Kind of like the SouthEast Texas Gang does on their website.  I told GQ I'd get back with him on that and maybe this is the impetus I need to finish getting the data together.  

Now, don't any of you steal my idea!!!!    ...that I stole from SETX Gang... :angel:
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

Sounds like a great idea. Go for it HC.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hey, would anybody like it if there was a feature on area caches that have been there a really long time without anybody finding them.  And then when the caches are found,  you could do a feature on the cacher that found them.  Don't you think that is a really good idea?
(and then I move my hand in a slight sweeping motion....)

Then HC chimes in and says, "I just said that!"

(...it works on the Fedex commercial!)  :D :D
  • empressone likes this

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

HC: "All you did was repeat what I said and wave your hand like this." <waves hand side-to-side>

TDW: "No, it was more like this."  <waves hand up and down>

Everyone else: "Great idea, boss!"

#9 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:04 PM

HC: "All you did was repeat what I said and wave your hand like this." <waves hand side-to-side>

TDW: "No, it was more like this."  <waves hand up and down>

Everyone else: "Great idea, boss!"

That's what I said!!!

#10 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationJust Off Bellaire Chinatown

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

:) Will you two quit smelling the hexane and go ahead and establish a Longest to not find (or get it archived) suite of caches.....looks like HC has the lead on this one...... ???

#11 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

Of course then WTT-B2 came behind me and found it a few days later.  I think he follows me sometimes... ???

Then WTT-B2 came behind me and found that one too.  I think I see a pattern forming here. ::)

The pattern is "I don't get off my duff and go get those" [before you get them] :D  BTW talk to me about Movie Mania...the coords are wrong

Posted Image

#12 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:04 AM

I guess since ATMA has an official stalker some of the rest of us can get official stalkers too.  HC now has WTT-B2 and we have mtp as our stalker.  Of course, we might be stalkers too, but we're so far unofficial until we get caught.  :angel:
Posted Image

#13 Dragonhunter

Dragonhunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationRichmond

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

I guess since ATMA has an official stalker some of the rest of us can get official stalkers too.  HC now has WTT-B2 and we have mtp as our stalker.  Of course, we might be stalkers too, but we're so far unofficial until we get caught.   :angel:

Be verwy verwy quite, we're stalkin' wabbits ... uhhh I mean dwagons ... uhhh I mean Muddy Buddies.    heheheheh

Dragonhunter221

#14 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

Actually it hadn't been found since November 3, 2005. Yes 2005. 14 Months.

I have a few that haven't been found since 2005:

Row versus Wade (or possibly Deliverance?)                 Last Found: 12/31/2005
Crash of the Golgafrinchan"B" Ark:Fintlewoodlewix          Last Found: 11/13/2005
The Salmon of Doubt                                                Last Found: 8/25/2005

Off the top of my head for my Terracaches:

Banjo Music aka Why is Daddy Crying?                        Last Found: 12/31/2005

#15 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

Row versus Wade (or possibly Deliverance?)                Last Found: 12/31/2005

This is at the top of my list for a non-rainy but still chilly spring weekend.  I don't want alot of snake activity, that's why the wish for chilly weather.  Actually hoping for a weekend before the Texas Challenge (if possible).

I would issue a public invitation for caching companions but every time I do...I have to cancel while everyone else goes and has a good time.  When I finally figure out the weekend, I will just issue an invitation to the few cachers I know idiotic enought to join me.  (GQ and twodogknight this specifically means you!!!)  :)

#16 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

Row versus Wade (or possibly Deliverance?)                 Last Found: 12/31/2005

This is at the top of my list for a non-rainy but still chilly spring weekend.  I don't want alot of snake activity, that's why the wish for chilly weather.  Actually hoping for a weekend before the Texas Challenge (if possible).

I would issue a public invitation for caching companions but every time I do...I have to cancel while everyone else goes and has a good time.  When I finally figure out the weekend, I will just issue an invitation to the few cachers I know idiotic enought to join me.  (GQ and twodogknight this specifically means you!!!)  :)

Dude, BE SURE to check all the Navidad River info. I put flood tethers on RvW and Banjo Music (110 feet away) because those caches routinely spend about 3 months UNDER water. Sometimes as much as 20 feet of it. >:D :angel:

Ya might just wanna check THIS thread as well and consider it before you decide that solid ground would be faster than the river as some folks have in the past. O0 >:D :angel:

#17 Zephyr01

Zephyr01

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationHouston/Clear Lake, TX

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:33 AM

Row versus Wade (or possibly Deliverance?)                Last Found: 12/31/2005

I feel soooo left out.  :'(

#18 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

I feel soooo left out.  :'(

Nothing personal.  ;)  I will remember to email you when I decide on a weekend.  :)

#19 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

Dude, BE SURE to check all the Navidad River info. I put flood tethers on RvW and Banjo Music (110 feet away) because those caches routinely spend about 3 months UNDER water. Sometimes as much as 20 feet of it. >:D :angel:

Ya might just wanna check THIS thread as well and consider it before you decide that solid ground would be faster than the river as some folks have in the past. O0 >:D :angel:

One if by land, two if by sea.  Part of the decision is when I can borrow the kayaks from my cousin.  ;)

#20 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

OK, until I get my own cubby-hole or whatever, I'll post preliminary info on this thread.
I ran pocket queries on all cache placed prior to Jan 1, 2006 within a 50 mile radius of downtown Houston and here are the results:

I came up with 938 unique, unarchived geocaches in that radius (remember, placed prior to 2006).  That's not as many as I though it would be, but I've triple-checked my PQ's and that's what they came up with.  Of those 938 caches, only 14 have not been found since Jan 1, 2006.  Of those 14, 5 appear to be or have been verified as missing.  5 caches are listed as temporarily unavailable (this includes 3 of the missing ones).

The remaining 7 geocaches that are (most likely) still findable are:

Whistle While You Cache GCKV2V - last found on 2/17/05 by BMcNallen
Thorolfur's Treasure GCM9VJ - last found on 4/23/05 by EBandM.
Lil Johnny's Chart GCKQX6 - last found on 9/15/05 by ME!
Power to the People GCM1VT - last found on 10/8/05 by Tx_Secsy & Jeff.
CrossWorlds GCHZVX - last found on 12/4/05 by GrangerFam
MTP1K: Bonus GCRM1P - last found on 12/22/05 by MedTexPlacer.
Elementary, My Dear Watson! GCPHCY - last found on 12/26/05 by GrangerFam.

In addition, the following caches appear to be in place and findable, but are temporarily disables for other reasons:
Another Dark Side of Da MQQN GCJ3H8 - last found on 8/6/05 by JoGPS.
FTFC#1 GCMBB7 - last found on 10/21/05 by CacHersNTheSky.

Admittedly, one problem with my system is that I don't look at any archived caches.  If someone stumbles across an archived cache and logs it, it wouldn't be picked up.

Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users