• 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

CONGRATS TO TEAM TROGLODYTE ON HITTING CACHE #5000!!  O0 O0 O0

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#3263 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Congratulations to CacheCow Queen for hitting 2000 finds -- and on Necropolis of Britannia Manor, no less!!!  O0

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3264 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Congrats to Mudfrog, who hit # 5000 on the Brazos Bend Endurance Series, on the last day of 2010.
Posted Image

#3265 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

CONGRATS TO MANOFSTEEL73 FOR HITTING #6000!!!!  O0 O0 O0

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#3266 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:19 AM

Congrats to No muggle & bittybit for finding the Louisiana Delorme Challenge

http://www.geocachin....aspx?wp=GCWXQW
Posted Image

#3267 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:36 AM

wonder why Texas doesn't have a DeLorme Challenge?

Posted Image

#3268 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

Isn't the county challenge enough for Texas?
Posted Image

#3269 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

You can never have too many challenges!  I wonder if a Texas DeLorme Challenge would require more than 254 finds to complete?

One thing's for sure, PR wouldn't allow a Texas DeLorme Challenge to be written up the way the Lousiana one is.  Specifically the part about being able to place a cache to get credit for filling in a square.  GC frowns on caches that require you to place other caches in order to complete them.  I know the CO of the Texas County Challenge had to remove the same language from his cache or it was going to be archived!  :o

#3270 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

OK, I think I answered my own question:

The Louisiana DeLorme Challenge requires finding one cache on each page of the map, or 51 caches (which is odd since DeLorme's website says the Louisiana book only has 49 pages of maps -- maybe the cache page is referring to an earlier map).  The Louisiana maps have a scale of 1:182,000.

The Texas DeLorme Atlas has 126 pages at a scale of 1:400,000, so I guess a Texas DeLorme Challenge would only require finding 126 caches.  Kind of anti-climactic for those who have completed the Texas County Challenge, it seems. :-\

The California DeLorme Challenge(s) is/are broken up into Northern California and Central/Southern CaliforniaThe California Atlas has 140 pages of maps on a scale of 1:200,000.

Funny, all the state DeLorme Atlas & Gazateer books sell for $19.95 on the DeLorme site, with the exception of California and Texas, which go for $24.95.  I guess you have to pay extra for less detail...

#3271 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Isn't the county challenge enough for Texas?

Nahh you can never enough challenges and a reason to hit the road!!  O0

Posted Image

#3272 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

The Texas DeLorme Atlas[/url] has 126 pages at a scale of 1:400,000, so I guess a Texas DeLorme Challenge would only require finding 126 caches. 

Kind of strange when you run the macro in GSAK to create a DeLorme map for Texas it only shows 68 pages in TX. I've got the atlas here somewhere I need to pull it out and look at it

edited to read: went to amazon.com and looked inside the atlas - ther are 70 pages of maps that cover Texas  ----  hmmmm

Posted Image

#3273 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

You can never have too many challenges!  I wonder if a Texas DeLorme Challenge would require more than 254 finds to complete?

One thing's for sure, PR wouldn't allow a Texas DeLorme Challenge to be written up the way the Lousiana one is.  Specifically the part about being able to place a cache to get credit for filling in a square.  GC frowns on caches that require you to place other caches in order to complete them.  I know the CO of the Texas County Challenge had to remove the same language from his cache or it was going to be archived!  :o

Many of the county and DeLorme challenges I've investigated were originally written that way since some counties/pages did not have any caches.  The wording about placing caches usually is changed once all areas have a cache.
There is no adventure without risk.

#3274 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

Maps for Louisiana are on pages 14 through 64 in my DeLorme Atlas (Second Edition- 2003).  The challenge doesn't require finds on pages 49, 59 and 60 since those would require a boat.  Must have two finds for page 31 since it has two map sections on it of different areas (one is across the river from Natchez MS and the other across the river from Vicksburg MS).

My Sixth Edition 2005 Texas DeLorme has maps on pages 26-89.  A quick glance shows both pages 26 and 27 have two map insets each.  Inset one on page 26 is part of Dallam County. Inset two on page 26 has Hansford and Ochiltree Counties.  Inset one on page 27 has Sherman County in addition to part of Dallam County.  Inset two is Lipscomb County.  Part of Dallam County is on pages 28 and 29 as well.  This means one might need another find in Dallam County depending on which page the first one is on. 

I think it would depend on how the cache owner wrote the requirements whether one needs a find on each inset on a page or not.

Page 89 is mostly Padre Island National Seashore down to South Padre Island and around Laguna Atascosa NWR.

Then there are pages like 80 where a find in Matagorda, Brazoria,  part of Fort Bend or part of Wharton Counties would qualify for that page.

So after looking at these few pages, it would take a minimum of 63 finds for Texas depending on how the requirements are written and one who has finished the Texas Counties Challenge may or may not have all the pages.

#3275 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for that, Ohail!  I thought I was going to have to go out and buy a Texas DeLorme Atlas to give a more educated answer.  You would know it takes an Alabaman to do it for me!  :)

#3276 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for that, Ohail!  I thought I was going to have to go out and buy a Texas DeLorme Atlas to give a more educated answer.  You would know it takes an Alabaman to do it for me!  :)

An Alabamian with many ties to Texas.  (Texas is only behind Alabama and Florida in my number of finds by state as well.)

I am slowly but surely working on the Texas County Challenge. I have 48 counties so far so still a long way to go but not bad for about four trips.  I bought the Texas DeLorme so I could make sure to cover the pages in my quest of counties just in case someone eventually put out a Texas DeLorme Challenge.  :)

#3277 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

I am slowly but surely working on the Texas County Challenge. I have 48 counties so far so still a long way to go but not bad for about four trips.  I bought the Texas DeLorme so I could make sure to cover the pages in my quest of counties just in case someone eventually put out a Texas DeLorme Challenge.  :)

Good idea!  (Note to self:  Buy a DeLorme Texas Atlas & Gazetteer)

#3278 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Good idea!  (Note to self:  Buy a DeLorme Texas Atlas & Gazetteer)

Unless the CO doesn't allow previous finds or has a date deadline  ;D

Posted Image

#3279 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

My Sixth Edition 2005 Texas DeLorme has maps on pages 26-89.  A quick glance shows both pages 26 and 27 have two map insets each.  Inset one on page 26 is part of Dallam County. Inset two on page 26 has Hansford and Ochiltree Counties.  Inset one on page 27 has Sherman County in addition to part of Dallam County.  Inset two is Lipscomb County.  Part of Dallam County is on pages 28 and 29 as well.  This means one might need another find in Dallam County depending on which page the first one is on. 
I think it would depend on how the cache owner wrote the requirements whether one needs a find on each inset on a page or not.
Page 89 is mostly Padre Island National Seashore down to South Padre Island and around Laguna Atascosa NWR.
Then there are pages like 80 where a find in Matagorda, Brazoria, part of Fort Bend or part of Wharton Counties would qualify for that page.
So after looking at these few pages, it would take a minimum of 63 finds for Texas depending on how the requirements are written and one who has finished the Texas Counties Challenge may or may not have all the pages.

There are 69 squares in the table of contents for Texas with duplicates as OHail mentions above and what I mention below.

Another note is that page 62 has 2 different areas also – one including the city of El Paso and the other just southeast of the city which is a pretty desolate area only having 2 caches in the whole area and one of them requires 4x4. Might be best to have one cache for both areas or 2 caches in either of the areas qualify for both areas. A requirement for one in each may be a tall order for most cachers.

There are 2 Texas Delormes, a 2005 edition and the latest one was published in 2000. From what I can tell they have the same mapping areas

I have been working on a Texas Delorme Challenge, Southeast Texas Quad Challenge and a Major League Baseball Stadium Challenge for a while and have the kinks out of most of them. I may have to run some questions by everyone.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#3280 Latitude Attitude

Latitude Attitude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaytown, TX

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:26 AM

Congratulations Baytown Bert on 100 Hides! O0  I have enjoyed all of the wild locales, and interesting terrain your caches have brought me to.  I have to say I have had some crazy geocaching adventures while searching for your caches!

I can be long winded  so I will sum up the most memorable of those adventures in just three words: Bees, Mud, Police  :D 

Now that I have found them all as of 11:15pm last night, thanks for the caches and no thanks for the chiggers! Please feel free to start working on the next 100  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users