#21 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

Ooooo, I know!  You could make a cache out of a bundle of iron pipes about a foot long with caps on both ends.  The idea would be that you have to take the caps off one at a time to figure out which pipe has the logbook in it.  Then you could bundle them all together with some copper wire, and attach a battery and alarm clock, in case the finder needed some spare batteries for their GPSr, or needed to know the exact time they were logging the cache.  Place it in a concourse garbage can or in a piece of checked luggage and list it on terracaching.com.  They'll list anything!  O0

DISCLAIMER:  The musings above are not an actual good idea and are in fact a very bad idea. :police:
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#22 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:36 PM

........remind myself to become mute in the future....

No, don't do that. That would be freaky, can't have a mute 5SH.  Besides, I enjoy hearing the stories...I just don't want to actually *BE* in one!

But you would get a cool certificate of authenticity.....officially making a 5SH guest appearance in a story for the masses.......TDW has so many gold stars by his name in this category that it hurts my eyes every time I walk into his room.......you could be in the highly sought after Hall of Fame......what an honor...and the scars go away eventually!!!!

:P :P :P :P :P ::) ::) ::) :D :D

Auditions are being held for the role of "Sidekick" in the new "Incredible Caching Tales" movie coming out next year...starring none other than our own fivesecrethunters.  The role of "Sidekick" will require the lucky cacher to have:  a current membership in the Texas Bar Association to deal with "emergencies", an cache mobile with deer whistles mounted on the fenders, a first-grade sense of humor (knock, knock, who's there?) and utilize hearing aids (when you turn them off it gives off the illusion that you got 5SH to shut-up).  :o :o

To apply all you have to do is find Evil Nanites of Memorial and fill out the enclosed application in triplicate.  Send the paperwork and a money order for $1,000 to:  5SH Productions c/o Texas Dreamweaver, P.O. Box N29° W095° Street, Cachetown, USA.  ::) ::)

#23 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:13 PM

Ooooo, I know!  You could make a cache out of a bundle of iron pipes about a foot long with caps on both ends.  The idea would be that you have to take the caps off one at a time to figure out which pipe has the logbook in it.  Then you could bundle them all together with some copper wire, and attach a battery and alarm clock, in case the finder needed some spare batteries for their GPSr, or needed to know the exact time they were logging the cache.  Place it in a concourse garbage can or in a piece of checked luggage and list it on terracaching.com.  They'll list anything!  O0

DISCLAIMER:  The musings above are not an actual good idea and are in fact a very bad idea. :police:

Someone would just muggle the copper for it's value on the streets. 
Posted Image

#24 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

Or just call the toll free number 1-888-HUMOR-ME

Auditions are being held for the role of "Sidekick" in the new "Incredible Caching Tales" movie coming out next year...starring none other than our own fivesecrethunters.  The role of "Sidekick" will require the lucky cacher to have:  a current membership in the Texas Bar Association to deal with "emergencies", an cache mobile with deer whistles mounted on the fenders, a first-grade sense of humor (knock, knock, who's there?) and utilize hearing aids (when you turn them off it gives off the illusion that you got 5SH to shut-up).  :o :o

To apply all you have to do is find Evil Nanites of Memorial and fill out the enclosed application in triplicate.  Send the paperwork and a money order for $1,000 to:  5SH Productions c/o Texas Dreamweaver, P.O. Box N29° W095° Street, Cachetown, USA.  ::) ::)

Posted Image

#25 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:22 PM

Do you accept PayPal?
Posted Image

#26 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:14 PM

Do you accept PayPal?

You all should know that even though he is offering a swell deal......I am splitting all proceeds 50/50 with him.  Paypal is accepted as well as check or money order.  Heck, if you are willing to join the dark side with me against TDW, I will throw in the toaster and ginzu knives as well.  Call now, our operators are standing by!  I-800-HUMOR ME, or our direct line 1-800-GET-EVEN.  Check out our website, 2CLOWNSWITHCOMPUTERS.com.
O0 :D

I went to 2CLOWNSWITHCOMPUTERS.com and all I found was MedTexPlacer and another guy named SockPuppet???

I then called the 1-800-GET-EVEN and got a recorded message from 5SH something to the effect of:
"You are getting very sleepy, very very sleepy.  I am going to count backwards from 10...wait that's too hard, backwards from 5 (Send $1000 to 5SH), 4 (I will take PayPal) , 3 (instead of money I will take the solutions to all of PiMan314's puzzles), 2 (5SH rules the world) and 1.  There now don't you feel better? You have become a member of "Evil-Cachers-R-Us"  >:D

I am telling you FuturePilot...stay away from 5SH.  :o

#27 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFt. Bend County

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:46 PM

It's probably not a good idea. Although airports are not off-limits for caches, someone searching around for something at a terminal may attract attention.

But, speaking of airport caches, I was over in Austin this week and found a few around Bergstrom and it occured to me that maybe there should be an airport series for caches hidden on or within a mile or so of an airport.

#28 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

Hello TFB.  Glad to see you active again.

On the subject of airport caches, per GC.com, when explaining which caches are deemed inappropriate and subject to immediate archival...

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.  :police:

Clearly, there is some latitude to this, but I don't plan to place any caches near these types of areas.

...but that's just me. :angel:

#29 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

Hello TFB.  Glad to see you active again.

On the subject of airport caches, per GC.com, when explaining which caches are deemed inappropriate and subject to immediate archival...

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.   :police:

Clearly, there is some latitude to this, but I don't plan to place any caches near these types of areas.

...but that's just me. :angel:

The problem is what is the definition of an "airport." There are airports of all sizes and shapes, ranging from sod landing strips to the huge complexes like IAH. The parking ramps, taxiways and runways are what constitute the airport, but passenger terminals are also within the secure area. Obviously you won't be able to place a cache in those areas since they are inside the security area (although about 90% of all airports are not really secure.) Houston Southwest Airport is at Arcola, about a mile from my house. While I don't know of any caches on the airport itself, PI Gunn is right across the road from it. There are places at Hobby where I have thought about placing a cache but haven't gotten around to it. A parking garage of any kind would be the last place I'd think about placing a cache no matter where it was located.

#30 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:37 PM

I forgot to mention that there is a cache on the airport at Love Field in Dallas, and there are several others in a park right off the end of the runway. From some of his posts, I've learned that Prime Reviewer lives close to Love so he should be familiar with what is permissible and what isn't. GCJJ5Y is right off the end of the runway at Austin, and I mean right off the end! When GeoPilot and I were there looking for it, a couple of airliners came right over us and they weren't more than 100 feet off the ground. The cache is a cemetary that dates back to pioneer times but I'm still sort of surprised that it hasn't been gated since 9/11 due to its proximity to the end of the runway and the seclusion.

If I were going to place a cache on an airport here in the Houston area, I'd do it at Hobby rather than Bush because there are more places that are accessible to the public. For instance, there is a museum in the old terminal off of Telephone Road. There are a couple of caches around Ellington I believe. I've never checked Galveston since when I go down there I usually don't have time for caching, but there are a number of public areas in the vicinity of the airport so I would expect there are some caches there.

#31 tabbydg

tabbydg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:28 PM

Definitely a BAD idea. 
1.  Airports are off-limits for security reasons
2.  I'm tired of light pole caches
3.  I don't like having to pay an entry fee to go get a cache, unless it's really worth it.
       Most micro caches don't fit into that category.
4.  If you must hide a cache, make it worthy of someone going to find it.

Just my 2 cents.

Does anyone think that hiding a micro cache on top of the parking garage for Terminals D & E at Intercontinental Airport would be an issue?

I agree with these 2 cents.  I am VERY new to goecaching and would be scared to go near an airport. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users