• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Futurepilot4U720

Futurepilot4U720

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

Does anyone think that hiding a micro cache on top of the parking garage for Terminals D & E at Intercontinental Airport would be an issue?

#2 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:31 PM

Per Big Green:

Off-limit (Physical) Caches
By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)
Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.
Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.
Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.
Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.
Caches near or on military installations.
Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

There may be some exceptions. If your cache fits within one of the above areas, please explain in notes to the reviewer section of the cache page. For example, if you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate it in the notes for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache.

I personallly don't have a problem with it, but Big Green might.  One never really knows.  Go for it.

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:45 PM

It would definitely given geocaching a bad name.
Posted Image

#4 puertoricangal93

puertoricangal93

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

It would definitely given geocaching a bad name.

I think it is a good idea. Not somwhere to suspicous..

Futurepilot4U720 knows what he is doing.

#5 JaMPrindle

JaMPrindle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, Tx

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

There are camera's everywhere @ Airports and I'm sure that seeing someone lift up a light pole cover and place and item will surely flag an immediate response which will be most decidedly bad.  I'm also willing to bet that trying to explain geocaching to a TSA offical would be the last thing on a cachers Christmas list.

JaM

#6 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

Here is a cache I did at LAX.  The cache was located along a road near the landing strip that was barracaded from vehicle traffic but people could walk there. This is the last finder's log (not mine):

The Los Angeles International Airport Police, in whose custody I just spent the last four hours -- much of it handcuffed and in the back of a patrol car or in a holding cell -- would like this cache, which was located in a restricted area on a closed road next to the airport proper, archived NOW.
I could give MUCH more detail, but suffice it to say that after finding the cache and strolling off down the closed-off road next to the airport, I was spotted by two uniformed LAPD motorcycle officers, who detained me, then called in the cavalry; at one point I believe there were about ten cars present, all there for me. The FBI eventually showed up as well. None of them had heard of geocaching, although I did eventually get them to go to geocaching.com and read about the hobby; I think the pages they printed off from the site were what eventually got them to realize I wasn't a terrorist. It was a close thing, though, from what I was able to glean from eavesdropping. I am, frankly, amazed that I'm not under arrest instead of sitting here in my hotel room frantically writing a "should be archived" message.

An airport perimeter the night before a national election is, evidently, a bad place to be found strolling blithely around with a GPSr in hand.

To make a long story short, none of the law enforcement authorities were amused by a geocache located in an area marked "restricted area, no loitering", right next to the airport. They were astonished and amazed by the sheer number of finds; they photocopied BOTH logbooks. EVERY SINGLE PAGE of both logbooks. They also examined all the travel bugs. Then they did it all over again. They were very, very, very thorough. I was one scared cacher.

Then, when they finally let me go, they had me take the cache, and ALL the bugs, and told me not to let it be found near the airport again. I'm catching a plane home to Vermont in a few hours, so unfortunately that means that all the bugs, even the ones that wanted to visit California or points south or west, are unfortunately going to get a November trip to Vermont.

So, please, so no one else goes looking for this missing cache and gets busted as well, please ARCHIVE THIS ONE NOW.

Thank you.

-- Lemur

Posted Image

#7 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:43 PM

Do you think Lemur is telling a story at his event like 5SH told at our last event at Escalantes? 

Why try to get away with something when there are plenty of good legal places to put caches? 
Posted Image

#8 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:54 PM

Definitely a BAD idea. 
1.  Airports are off-limits for security reasons
2.  I'm tired of light pole caches
3.  I don't like having to pay an entry fee to go get a cache, unless it's really worth it.
      Most micro caches don't fit into that category.
4.  If you must hide a cache, make it worthy of someone going to find it.

Just my 2 cents.

Does anyone think that hiding a micro cache on top of the parking garage for Terminals D & E at Intercontinental Airport would be an issue?

Posted Image

#9 stcymcc

stcymcc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:07 AM

Definitely a BAD idea. 
1.  Airports are off-limits for security reasons
2.  I'm tired of light pole caches
3.  I don't like having to pay an entry fee to go get a cache, unless it's really worth it.
       Most micro caches don't fit into that category.
4.  If you must hide a cache, make it worthy of someone going to find it.

Just my 2 cents.

What he says. I completely share those 2 cents.

#10 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:33 AM

I (Mr. OSC) work for Continental.  Don't do it.  Cachers can end up in serious trouble. When they raise the threat levels and don't allow cars near a terminal they're certainly not going to look kindly on "But officer, it's a harmless game." 

Your enthusiasm to hide is great but there are better alternatives than this.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#11 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:46 AM

Do you think Lemur is telling a story at his event like 5SH told at our last event at Escalantes? 

Lemur was not the hider but the last finder. When I went to the cache there were several people who climbed a hill on the other side of the fence to watch the 747's take-off and land.

Also I think our future pilot is a young lad who is only 14.
Posted Image

#12 Futurepilot4U720

Futurepilot4U720

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

Ok...yes, i am a young lad, but i do love geocaching.  I posted this topic on the forum to get my ideas if i SHOULD do it, not if i should archive it, i have not placed that cache yet.  Thanks for everyone's responses.  I've made up my mind not to do it.  Thanks all!!!  :laugh:

#13 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

I like your logo FuturePilot.  Glad you enjoy caching!
Posted Image

#14 bradandangela.com

bradandangela.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:45 AM

it would be convenient though!  How about in the underground train that goes between the terminals at IAH... something like, wait for train #3, look under the seat in car #1, etc.  I better stop before I give anyone ideas.

I usually take the termalink now since I prefer to go through security at terminal B and there is plenty of parking there, but the few times I have taken the old underground train, it has been almost empty (of course this is usually about 10pm).

#15 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:06 AM

Someone is going to try it eventually.  I don't think we would ever do a cache on the airport grounds (let alone place one) because being interrogated by homeland security and/or the FBI for at least four hours, plus being placed on a watchlist is not our idea of fun.

After almost 17 years in the airline industry I've personally seen what happens when people misbehave and heard more than a lot of stories about things like this.  And the closer you get to airplanes, the more serious it gets and surprisingly, the dumber some folks get. 

After 9/11 the stakes are a lot higher and the tolerance for stupidity has gone to near zero.

I've often kidded about the brain machines placed around airports.  They are located in the lights that shine down from airport roads and terminal entrances.  What's a brain machine?  Well, how else can you explain why most intelligent people seemingly lose their minds at the airport.  They ask silly questions and act weird.

I've got lots of stories but the best one still has to be back when I first started as a Ticket Agent for Continental in 1990.  I'm standing at the ticket counter and behind me is this huge sign with three foot letters that says:  CONTINENTAL AIRLINES.  Some guy walks up to the counter, not in any rush, and in all seriousness asks me:  "Is this where I check in for Continental Airlines?"    :o

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#16 Futurepilot4U720

Futurepilot4U720

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

it would be convenient though!  How about in the underground train that goes between the terminals at IAH... something like, wait for train #3, look under the seat in car #1, etc.  I better stop before I give anyone ideas.

I usually take the termalink now since I prefer to go through security at terminal B and there is plenty of parking there, but the few times I have taken the old underground train, it has been almost empty (of course this is usually about 10pm).

bradandangela gave me a new idea about an Inter-terminal train cache.  I was thinking about that a long time ago, but i thought it was a stupidly dangerous cache, but since someone posted it, i might think otherwise. What does everyone else think about this idea?

#17 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:17 PM

If you don't need a GPS to find the cache then it might not be approved as you are supposed to use a GPS to get to the final location. (I believe)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 stcymcc

stcymcc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

I just don't think I'd feel comfortable caching in an airport. Being waylaid for hours while being interogated sounds like pure hell to me. I don't want any stories to tell like some cachers I know.  I'm just saying....

#19 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

If you don't need a GPS to find the cache then it might not be approved as you are supposed to use a GPS to get to the final location. (I believe)

That actually must not be true as there are many caches that get you close and then you may have to use orientation to get to the cache.
Posted Image

#20 stcymcc

stcymcc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:01 PM

........remind myself to become mute in the future....

No, don't do that. That would be freaky, can't have a mute 5SH.  Besides, I enjoy hearing the stories...I just don't want to actually *BE* in one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users