119 replies to this topic

#81 indianpoint

indianpoint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston,Texas

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:53 PM

quote:Frances has a new home. It is a long-term acute care facility where she will be getting therapy every day to get her back to normal.
Triumph Hospital Clear Lake
350 Blossom St.
Webster, TX 77598-4206
(281) 316-7800

Sam and Frances
Everyone who joins this forum brings some joy. Some when they come in and some when they leave.

Originally posted by UsMorrows - 09/30/2005 :  08:45:19 AM

[b][/b Driving directions to Truimph Hospital where Francis is...Take 45 south ,Exit Bay Area Blvd to Left go back across 45.Turn right on Texas Street there will be a discount auto tire shop and a Taco Cabana there.Go to Blossom street and take Left the Hospital is on Left can't miss it.They will not give any info over the phone are her room number,Francis is in room#103 ICU.Sign in and out at front desk,follow hallway then go right and then you will go left again in ICU.Her room will be at the end of hall on left.Francis seemed to be doing somewhat better still responding with some head shakes and trying to talk some,but can't yet.They still have her trake tube in and feeding tube in.
They were coming with food down hallways and you could smell it the guy brought in a tray by mistake and Francis started patting her stomach.I advised him to take it away because she could not have it.Boy that got a response out of her quick with eyes wide open.She wanted that meal...Her lips are really dry so you Geocachers that go see her just pick the tube up and apply some to the lips.Keep the Prayers coming.I read some of the cards sent over internet to St.Lukes to her and her eyes filled with tears.Happy tears of course.She was trying to say Thanks to all but the words just woudn't come out,but i could read her lips,I know this has to be really frustrating to her.

#82 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

A number of people have asked me how is Frances doing so here goes.

First I hope they ware gentler with Frances transporting her than her stuff. Snoogans vase is history but someone bought another one. The porcelain doll from Dreamcachers and an angel are broke but I think I can fix them with super glue.

They put her back n the ventilator for the transport and took her off Monday. She still will have the trach for a while but they will soon put a speaking valve on it. She has spoke to me but you have to put your ear right by her mouth since most of the air goes out the trach. She is also communicating by writing things down. The writing looks about as bad as mine but you can make it out. She has also communicated to me by sign language – it wasn’t a real good bird but the intention was quite clear. Jim and Deb were in the room and we all laughed until we had tears. She also gets a big grin when I tell her about something evil Heidi has done, which is almost daily.

The physical therapist and occupational therapist came and evaluated her Monday and she started therapy Tuesday. She was pooped Tuesday evening when I got there and slept most of the time. I went early yesterday and spoke with the physical therapist. He said he was happy with her progress.I was there about 2 hours yesterday and they had she sitting up in a chair the whole time. She wanted me to turn on the TV when I left.

#83 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:46 PM

Sam,

Thanks for the update on Francis.  Too bad Heidi is not allowed to visit.  I am glad she is closer to your home and that you can park for free.  Thanks Indianpoint for the directions. 
Posted Image

#84 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:22 PM

Sam,

Thanks for the update on Francis.  Too bad Heidi is not allowed to visit.  I am glad she is closer to your home and that you can park for free.  Thanks Indianpoint for the directions. 

After she gets a little better they told me I could take her out in a wheel chair to visit the dogs. I told her that and she got a big smile and nodded.

#85 Team Tulip

Team Tulip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, Texas

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:45 PM

Amy and I have not been checking up on this site, dont really know why, time goes by so fast.

We are very very happy that Francis is "on the mend"!  Our thoughts are with her and we pray for her speedy and complete recovery.

Tulips

#86 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:01 PM

Here are her coordinates
N 29 32.644
W 095 09.666

She had quite a few visitors yesterday and I missed all of you. Med Tex Palcer or was it Sock Puppet, I don't remember was there before me and Team J, Terratreckers, and Billy H and Family after me. I just talked to Joy and her and Bull were leaving. I slipped off early from work today and when I got there the therapist was working her left arm a bunch and it was hurting her. They gave her a big shot of Morphine and it was goodnight Frances. She is a trooper though. She wrote a note to the therapist saying they were hurting her arm. The therapist told her they need to do it so she will be able to use it, and then asked if they could work it some more. She nodded her head yes. They didn't tell me to but I had to leave the room for awhile.

#87 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

Today was one heck of a high for me.
The last two days they had started three hour physical therapy and Frances was worn out and hurting when I got there. Today she was half asleep when I came in and not being observant (I guess that’s why I have all those DNF’s) I didn’t notice anything different about her. I was looking at her vital signs monitor when I heard “Would you lower the foot of my bed”.  Whaaat! I looked over and no trach.

I saw a physical therapist that she had last week and asked if he was working with her  this week. He said no but he sees her every day and she is making great progress. I then asked if she was moving her left arm and he said “Let’s go see”. When he asked her how that arm was she said that it hurts. He asked if it was when she just straightened it or just touching it? She said “It hurts if you look at it funny”.

She does seem to still have a sense of humor. Other things tonight she told the nurse she had to get well because I didn’t know how to take care of the dogs. She asked me “What the hell happened to me?”.

#88 Cherokeecacher

Cherokeecacher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:51 PM

Great news Sam. Thanks for all the updates. Hopefuly this will vcalm down for Michelle and I next week and we will stop by with some pictures for yall to look through.

#89 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:12 PM

WOW, that was great news Sam. I just know that she is going to be breaking all sorts of records to get back to normal. Keep up the good work. You are the most important medicine that she needs right now.

gsguru

#90 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

She moved to Room 221 today - no coords yet

#91 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

This is great news about Francis....she's doing SOOOO well! Prayers are being answered!

#92 JOY AND BULL

JOY AND BULL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:53 PM

We went by and saw Frances today....she was awake most of the afternoon while we was there...We made a sign for her---BE KIND TO FRANCES, FRANCE'S ROOM, and hung them in the room so she could see them...She Told Kelly not to mess with her when he leaned on the bed--towards her......I went to put lotions on her feet and legs--i got told really quick before i even started--that i couldn't do it as well as Sam....

I left the Paper and Markers in her room--if anyone wants to make a sign or picture and hang in the room for her...

It was nice to visit with her..and see she hasn't lost her sense of humor...
Our prayers are still going out to help in your recovery. joy and bull.

#93 Chance Encounter

Chance Encounter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

I stopped by to see Frances today, and ran into Indianpoint on the way in.  Frances seemed to be in fairly good spirits, although she complained of pain in her leg when it was moved.  Another frustration for her is that when she's thirsty, she has to wait for the nurses to add thickener to her water before she can drink.

I had a good time thumbing through the logbook and reading all the heartwarming (and hilarious) entries.  After chatting with Frances for awhile, her physical therapist kidnapped her so I called it a day.  I tried to reach Sam while in the area but couldn't get him; perhaps he was out chasing down rabid skunks!

#94 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:42 PM

Well it looks like we are going to be moving again. Nov. 3 is the tentative date to go to TIRR in the Medical Center. She had to get to where she can do three hours of therapy a day for them to accept her. I'm not looking forward to going back to the Medical Center and their $10.00 parking but TIRR has been rated one of the top 5 rehibilitation hospitals for the last 15 years so that is where I want her to go.

I told her about it tonight and she said "Well I guess I will have to break in another bunch". She also told me this week that she has to get well so she can go geocaching.

#95 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

Thats good news, glad to hear it.

When I go to the Medical Center to visit PLUSONE, I use the Brown Parking lot located on William C Harvin at So Braeswood, then take the Metro bus shuttle (WHITE route) that take me close to M D Anderson Cancer Center.  The bus passed TIRR on the same loop.  There are two other shuttle routes - the RED route and the BLUE route.  No charge for the shuttle.

Cost is only $1.00 for four hours with a $6.00 maximum for all day.  Check out METRO's web site for the schedule and routing. 

I will be visiting Fran next week

#96 Guest_wild cat bud_*

Guest_wild cat bud_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:33 PM

Went to visit Frances today, and am sure glad now that I didn't put it off till tomorrow like I almost did, because they came to fetch her while I was there to take her to TIRR.  Guess she's already at work to "break in another bunch" by now.

She's in awfully good spirits for all that she's been through, and for all that still is ahead.  I got to visit with her for about an hour before her transportation arrived.  I asked her if she was excited to be moving to new digs, and she said, "they're gonna work my --- off over there"!  Firey spirit still intact!!

WCB

#97 Chance Encounter

Chance Encounter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:40 PM

Another parking option I used when visiting Gina at Methodist Hospital is the South Fannin Park & Ride Lot ($2.00 per day), then catching the MetroRail to the Medical Center stop ($1.00 each way).  This trip takes less than 10 minutes, and the trains depart every 10 or 15 minutes thoughout the day.

#98 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:09 PM

Frances is now at TIRR at 1333 Moursund just off South Braeswood. There is a lot DD next to TIRR but mostly handicap parking. The best bet is garage 6 next to lot DD. Her room is 312.

#99 Guest_wild cat bud_*

Guest_wild cat bud_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:40 AM

I hope Frances is getting settled in and getting that new bunch broke in.  Hopefully the only other move she will have to make will be go home.  Have the doctors given you any indication of how long that might be?
WCB

#100 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

Four to six weeks at TIRR and then either home or to a TLC.

This place has their act together. Occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, neurophysocological therapist, case worker, social worker and two doctors. They all get together on Wednesdays and compare notes. They then set goals for the next week. Wednesday evening the doctors make their rounds starting at 4:00pm and meet with the famialy to give an update. WCB, I think they are breaking her in. She had therapy from 8:30am to 10:45 am this morning (Frances didn't know there was a 8:30am) and then again from 2:00pm to 3:45pm this afternoon. She is one wore out puppy.

Still has some humor though. She told me today that to be in the cliché you had to shave your head. The rest of us are just "Plain Bellie Sneeches". I guess Jason and Wayne are in. Snoogans you still have a few hairs sticking out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users