#41 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:51 PM

Frances Update.
Her responses and wake periods are about the same as yesterday. The good news is they removed the tubes from her head, the IV’s that were in her neck are gone and yesterday she was on two medications to keep her blood pressure up but now she is off them and the BP is fine. There is only four items hanging from the IV stand and one is a nutrition thing. For awhile the IV stand reminded me of B&B’s Christmas Tree Cache.

#42 Team Texas Flash

Team Texas Flash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationBoerne, Texas

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the update Sam ...

#43 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:54 PM

Not much change today except yesterday I printed a picture of Bear and Heidi and she didn't respond to it. Today she started trying to cry when she saw it. I thought it was a good idea, guess not.

#44 maggieb

maggieb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:35 PM

wow!  just got on for the first time tonight and read all the discussion about frances and carolyn.  i was crying from the get go...becasue this is such a hard thing to happen to anyone's family but also because of the outpouring of concern for one of our own.  i add my prayers as well and am glad to read that frances has started responding!

pray hard, everybody!  i loved your mom's prayer, fivesecrethunters!  thanks so much for the updates.

maggie

#45 indianpoint

indianpoint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston,Texas

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:38 PM

Just an update on Francis.Went up today to see her and Shadowcacher came in behind me.We stayed till 6pm and Francis seemed to respond to ours questions by squeezing our hands.She can hear everything going on around her and when she was shown the picture of her baby's Teddy(BEAR) and Heidi she tryed to cry tears of joy i think.She really misses them and Sam.We were talking to her and i had her hand and ask Sam to grab hold of it while i positioned her leggs more comfortable.Sam leaned down and kissed her and she tryed to smile.Her color seems to be coming back and she tryed to talk to me and Shadowcacher,but had to calm her down because she got all excited.Please keep her in your Prayers!!!!
      Francy get well and come home soon..We Love and Miss You!!!

#46 Babslover

Babslover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBeaumont, Texas

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

:)Checking in daily to check on our girl!  :) Thanks everyone that has posted updates.  I was sooooo excited to get Deb's call that she had woke up.  SigJ and Cherokeecacher - thanks for the calls.  I hope to get back over this weekend.  Tomorrow night is our fartherest trip for a football game all year, so it may not be early Saturday. Maybe I'll even print out a cache page to change my caching number that hasn't changed in almost a year!!! :o

Love to Frances.  Someone that goes to the hospital tell her I'm thinking of her daily!!!
Hang in there, Sam.  The emotional roller coaster is a tough ride, but she's a strong lady and has LOTS and LOTS of love being sent her way!!! O0

#47 Cherokeecacher

Cherokeecacher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

:)Checking in daily to check on our girl!  :) Thanks everyone that has posted updates.  I was sooooo excited to get Deb's call that she had woke up.  SigJ and Cherokeecacher - thanks for the calls.  I hope to get back over this weekend.  Tomorrow night is our fartherest trip for a football game all year, so it may not be early Saturday. Maybe I'll even print out a cache page to change my caching number that hasn't changed in almost a year!!! :o

Love to Frances.  Someone that goes to the hospital tell her I'm thinking of her daily!!!
Hang in there, Sam.  The emotional roller coaster is a tough ride, but she's a strong lady and has LOTS and LOTS of love being sent her way!!! O0

Ehere is the game? Michelle and I may come over for it, if it will fit in our timeline.

#48 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:42 PM

Is Frances still in ICU? 
Posted Image

#49 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:06 AM

Is Frances still in ICU? 

ICU for 2 to 3 more weeks, then Intermediate Care for a couple weeks.

#50 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:08 AM

I am going to swing by the hospital this afternoon for a little while. I wanted to let her know that her geo-family is still thinking about her and praying for a speedy recovery. If you have any thing you want me to tell her, let me know (email privately or start another thread) and I will read them to her. I am also planning on reading a few short stories (if they'll let me). I have found (through personal experience) that talking and reading is very soothing to an ICU patient.
gsguru

#51 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

Francis UPDATE:

Just returned from the hospital. We were playing "follow me"...  O0 I would rub her hand and then she would rub my thumb with her thumb. We did this several times and all the while, I was updating her on the nonsense news... like Brittany having a baby, Brad and Jen thinking about getting married. Silly stuff like that. She tried to smile, didn't make eye contact though. I think cool pictures on the ceiling would be a cute idea....  :) I read her some of the last logs in the logbook, just to keep her updated. Told her that I would return and continue my monologue about the nonsensical happenings around Houston and the country. Nothing too serious. She is hooked up to the breathing machine and sometimes tries to fight it I think. All in all, she looks good and we "chatted" for about 20 minutes today at lunch. I will try to get back out there first part of next week.
gsguru

#52 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

Francis UPDATE:

Just returned from the hospital. We were playing "follow me"...  O0 I would rub her hand and then she would rub my thumb with her thumb. We did this several times and all the while, I was updating her on the nonsense news... like Brittany having a baby, Brad and Jen thinking about getting married. Silly stuff like that. She tried to smile, didn't make eye contact though. I think cool pictures on the ceiling would be a cute idea....  :) I read her some of the last logs in the logbook, just to keep her updated. Told her that I would return and continue my monologue about the nonsensical happenings around Houston and the country. Nothing too serious. She is hooked up to the breathing machine and sometimes tries to fight it I think. All in all, she looks good and we "chatted" for about 20 minutes today at lunch. I will try to get back out there first part of next week.
gsguru

How very thoughtful....good job GSGuru!

#53 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:37 PM

Yesterday they ran me out of the room within 5 minuets of getting there to do a procedure. When the doctor came out they said they gave her a sedative and she would probably sleep the rest of the night. The nurse was a real dweeb and I don’t think she could really be that stupid but just didn’t want to bother talking to me. The nurse was great tonight and explained a lot of things to me. So here goes.

Yesterday was a busy day; they did a CAT scan, put in a trach and a feeding tube. They are weaning her off the ventilator but they don’t like to leave a tube in your throat too long as it can scar your vocal cords. The feeding tube in the nose can be a major source of infection so they wanted to get it out also, besides they said she would be a lot more comfortable. The nurse said she missed the neurosurgeon because he came a 5:00am but she deciphered his notes for me. Short story is the brain is still swollen but the swelling has decreased. This is good news because the cat scan showed a slight increase from the Thursday one and was the same as Saturday Monday. The doctor came in Monday before the CAT scan results were in and he said he expected it to be the same or slightly more as Monday should be her worse day.

This evening she was awake most of the time I was there. I told her about all of the geocachers that have been up to visit her. She even tried to tell me something but nothing came out and she made a big frown. The best part of tonight was when I puckered my lips and made a smack like I was giving her a kiss and she did the same thing back at me. That has to be the best kiss I ever got.

Thanks for all the support from you geocachers, as you know we refer to you as our extended family. God bless all.

Sam

#54 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

Stan and I went by to see Frances tonight.  We also found out about another friend in St. Luke's in ICU on the 2nd floor, so we visited him too.  We got there just after 6 p.m. and realized we had just missed official visiting hours, but were told that they were very strict, so we thought we would go on in and see Frances.  A nurse was trying to do response tests on her, but it appeared that Frances was pretty sound asleep at that time and we didn't want to wake her and disturb her needed rest.  We decided to go eat in the cafeteria and come back up closer to visiting hours at 8 p.m.  We came back and she was awake.  We spoke with her  briefly and then the doctor came to give her a breathing treatment.  She looked much better than she did earlier in the week.  I felt so inadequate trying to talk to her.  I really didn't know what to say to her that would offer her comfort.  We hope that she knows that we were there and that we continue to think about her.   We signed her visitor's book.  Hopefully, when she is wider awake in a few days, someone will read her the well wishes in her book.   Get well soon Frances.  As I was writing this and began to post, Sam had posted his note.  Thanks for filling us in.  Sam, we're sorry we missed you. 
Posted Image

#55 Cherokeecacher

Cherokeecacher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:56 PM

All of this is GREAT news. Thanks everyone for the continued updates. I HOPE to get back over there Saturday or Sunday. :D

#56 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:08 PM

Sam - glad you are keeping us updated via HGCS.  We are currently in OKC visiting Still Not Interested (our daughter), but are keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers daily.  Keep hanging in there and just remember that recovery can be very slow!

PlusOne is very glad we ran into Fran at Wal-mart just before the last event.  Please tell her that the hug she got that day is being thought of daily and coming back her way 10 fold!

ParkerPlus, PlusOne & Still Not Interested!

P.S.  Sam please remember that you need to take care of yourself during all of this too!  That is a very important part of the process as a caregiver!  PlusOne

#57 Guest_wild cat bud_*

Guest_wild cat bud_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

Need imput, need imput!
How's Frances doing?
and How's Sam doing also??
WCB

#58 UsMorrows

UsMorrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, TX

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:39 AM

Frances Update
Monday she had both eyes open, before she was only opening her left eye. Yesterday when I got up there they had her sitting in a chair. I asked her if she liked sitting in a chair better than laying down and she nodded her head yes.

Monday they said she probably had two more weeks in ICU and then to progressive care (that’s an intermediated care). They had her off the medication to keep her blood pressure up and they continue to wean her off the ventilator.

As of last night they plan on going through the storm as normal operation. At least after Hurricane Allison they built their generating plant elevated where as it had been in the basement. Tonight may be the last time I will be able to see her for a few days. I need to secure the house tomorrow night and if I stay there it may be a few days before I can get out. I haven’t decided yet still just watching Rita.

#59 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the update Sam.  It is encouraging that they had Frances sitting in a chair. 
Posted Image

#60 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

That is such great news about Francis. We'll be prayin for ya'll...keep us posted if ya can Sam during the hurricane!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users